Business uncertainty grows as Thai stock slide continues amid Chinese property defaults and Russian turmoil

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Would be impossible to understand the real economic position of Thailand. Stories of tourism, exports etc going gangbusters then the next story you read the opposite. I live North East Thailand and have seen whole streets that used to be lined with businesses and restaurants now nearly all shut. With domestic borrowings at near 90% GDP, I'm surprised how the country continues on. Other countries ring alarm bells at 60%

I believe you.

Where are you, do you visit other towns, what is the mood of the people and who do they blame.

As they wait so long for a FFP government to enact the wishes of the electorate what will they feel if it is all taken away?

Whether it is Thailand or any other country, a significant economic downturn is unavoidable. The damage caused by Corona, rising interest rates (mortgage) , and soaring inflation from the last years are already sufficient reasons for "hard times." Thailand will also not be able to escape from it. People just dont have the money anymore.

My wife had a restaurant and things seemed to get worse about 6 months AFTER covid. Covid period was slower but ok. And most of her customers were educated middle income people with stable jobs. I couldn't work it out as their income probably still the same. But after thought I realized many of these people in debt up to their necks and what little disposable income they had every month would be eaten up by inflation....particularly electricity and fuel rising so much not to mention everything else. I guess would be a similar situation all over the world though I doubt household debt would be as extreme here. 

What is annoying though are the completely polar opposite headlines in the news. One side....obviously various departments responsible for economics here talking themselves up with what they claim is going to happen by the end of the year....and then there are the factual reports which are the complete opposite.  

Edited by Kenny202