Passenger sustains serious injury on escalator at Don Mueang airport

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Come on Barry is this response for today or something from the past I said to you!  

Bit surprise to even hear from you thought you were the hide and seek type and this is me being very kind! 

My response of course was a generalization which is exactly your response to me.!

You ask me to read what before I response. 

If I got a baht each time hearing take care of her medical bills and compensation I would be rich.  

I Suggest you instead of reading something assuming it is going to be generous in nature is a man still asleep having a wet dream calling other opinion as a rant. 

Because this hit the front page suckers like you dreamers actually think this is going to be sufficient for the lost of her limb and the drama it had caused her. There are hundreds of events like this that don't see the light of day. Citizen falling into manholes,  Doctor getting run down by speeders, there isn't enough text to list them all but we got a true believer in you. The saying they also selling a bridge cheap! 

All the victims family are still waiting compensation for their lost in Sattahip night club fire all they were offered was 50,000 baht what is a limb worth. 

How is that rant!  Bangkok true believer. 

You say a great deal without offering a single thing to back up what you claim. No evidence, no article, no quote from a disappointed victim, nothing other than unfounded claims with no facts to back you up.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

I only have one question after seeing the woman's picture while trapped in the hardware. Clearly not bleeding to death and not in immediate peril.

So the question is:

Do you think this woman would have had her leg amputated if she had been in New York, Toronto, or London? 

Do realize that in most of those cities there also would be news outlets broadcasting the situation live. 

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You say a great deal without offering a single thing to back up what you claim. No evidence, no article, no quote from a disappointed victim, nothing other than unfounded claims with no facts to back you up.

You try to come across as a smart guy but I can see the light I'd on but no one is home!

First when I generalize mean I come to an opinion based on the past.  I've made no mentioned to any of it being fact.  The few incidents I've cited are fact since you like to look things up you should know how.

You ask for facts,  yet hypocritically you haven't provided any yourself as to a statement made from something you might have read. 

Please show me other than a so call promise more medical information as to the cost they are paying to the hospital.  In her rehabilitation do they plan to fit her with a wooden leg, does it include life time medical assistance including Physiological therapies and as for compensation do you have a amount for pain and suffering. Aside from a promise you already seem to believe or know for a fact what you rant about is a fact she will be taken care. That leads back to my question and generalization here in Thailand what and how  not satisfied a unknown promise. Unless you have the compensation package offered as fact and evidence I don't need to tell you where to go from here. SMF. 

3 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Calm down cup cake. Yes.. That was Thai bashing... Poor maintenance was an assumption on my part. Prove me wrong. Thailand has a huge history of such behavior. 

I don't have to prove you wrong, that's not how it works.   The onus of proof is on you as you're the one who made the unsubstantiated accusation.

"Thailand has a huge history of such behavior". 

There you go again.  If there's such a "huge history of such behaviour", back it up with something empirical.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

First I can’t imagine the terror this woman was going through.  To have a leg amputated let alone in those conditions.  

There is some conflict in the news stories. 
One said after being transferred to the other hospital.  The leg was reattached and she was doing ok. 
There appears to be an updated story today from the same news agency.  It is saying the other hospital to where she was transferred decided not to reattach the leg.  

On 6/29/2023 at 7:39 PM, riclag said:

My wife says she’s only gonna use the stairs in the future!

Same here.

I didn't know these things can devour you.

I remember the accident in China, but accidents in China have never worried me.

This is a lot closer to home. Lots of explanatory videos in Thai in social media.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:13 PM, KannikaP said:

How can a person get leg trapped in an escalator. The gaps are too small. Unless a malfunction on the stairs.

It was a travelator, not an escalator. According to the BBC report she fell over her suitcase.

I've seen this happen on an escalator in London. The suitcase which was ahead of her jammed and stopped when it came to the off ramp and she was propelled forward and fell.

She was very lucky because I just happened to be in the right place at the right time so I could reach over and hit the emergency stop button.

It could have been catastrophic because it was very busy at the time.

I suspect that this could have been a similar occurrence. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66062753

Edited by Moonlover

14 hours ago, gargamon said:

I only have one question after seeing the woman's picture while trapped in the hardware. Clearly not bleeding to death and not in immediate peril.

So the question is:

Do you think this woman would have had her leg amputated if she had been in New York, Toronto, or London? 

Do realize that in most of those cities there also would be news outlets broadcasting the situation live. 

I had the same thoughts (and questions).

The woman did seem remarkably calm for a person with a mangled lower leg. In one of the photos it looks like she turned around and asked for help because her leg was stuck.

Also note that she asked for a 2nd opinion at Bumrungrad. She asked if they could reattach her leg. They apparently said they could or at least would attempt to, which suggests to me that the lower part of her leg was still in a reasonable condition. If her lower leg was mangled, they would not attempt to reattach it.

My answer would be that they wouldn't have amputated her leg in New York, London, Paris or Sydney or any other city with competent rescue services and triage.

8 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The woman did seem remarkably calm for a person with a mangled lower leg. In one of the photos it looks like she turned around and asked for help because her leg was stuck.

A few people in this thread have mentioned something like this. There is something called shock that people go into during traumatic injuries.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

A few people in this thread have mentioned something like this. There is something called shock that people go into during traumatic injuries.

One thing is for sure, the amputation would have been rather shocking, but the leg might just have been stuck, and the prevaling "wisdom" in this discussion is to support the amputation. The thought of them amputating a perfectly good stuck leg is hard for people to stomach.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:42 PM, Captain Monday said:

Getting her foot lacerated would have been a serious injury! She lost her leg on a moving walkway because simple basic maintenance /repair was not completed at a major international airport.

Shocking shameful negligence by airport.???? 

Yeah. It is unfortunate that she didn't take a step at the end to avoid the pinch point (if it is anything like this) If it was just one of these tiles missing like this. You are supposed to step over the pinch point

image.jpeg.a163640bb34207755f0e7239105ff

On 6/30/2023 at 1:07 AM, tandor said:

a few hundred long electric buggies in a separate lane, ferrying people continually..rip out the travellators

The support structure under these travelators should not be weak enough that it could fail. 

They should have sensors that will stop the things with a kick to the side. Anywhere

Edited by Harsh Jones

On 7/1/2023 at 10:14 PM, Harsh Jones said:

The support structure under these travelators should not be weak enough that it could fail. 

They should have sensors that will stop the things with a kick to the side. Anywhere

there are Emergency Stop red buttons installed.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Is it?  Do you have anything to back up that claim?

No proof at all to back up such claims. In countries all around the world you see people getting a leg mangles in a moving walkway, electrocuted in swimming pools, signs falling on their head, cut in half by an elevator door, driving into huge pits because there is not an extra 500 baht in the construction budget for a plastic cone. 

Why just they other day electrical lineman in Oslo pfaffed off to lunch leaving cables hanging 300 centimetres over a busy roadway leading to an international airport like I saw in Chiang Mai once. 

It was broad daylight what are people blind they passed their driving license medical check did they not?   No proplem just use your brakes or drive around it.

• Confused 1

Sorry for a basic question but in the news I have seen conflicting information.

Did her luggage (wheel break etc) in any way contribute to the terrible accident or did the escalator just give way by itself due to her weight? Unfortunate lady.

(Escalators should naturally manage a wheel breaking. I have seen escalators with defect combs. Don't remember where.)

Edited by thailandsgreat