Thai vaping trend: Rising e-cigarette use among youth sparks health concerns

webfact

image.jpeg

Survey data from Thailand’s Department of Health Service Support (DHSS) reveals a concerningly high proportion of young Thai individuals partaking in e-cigarette usage. The survey, conducted on a vast sample of 61,688 respondents ranging nationwide from April 25 to June 6, shows that 9.1% of young individuals use vapes. The influence of friends and peer pressure was cited as a major reason behind this concerning Thai vaping trend.

The survey data on the Thai vaping trend showed a significant variation across different regions of Thailand. Bangkok, the country’s bustling capital, exhibited the highest rate of vaping among young people, with 14.6% admitting to the use of such devices.

E-cigarettes, despite being illegal in Thailand, are commonly found and sold at many ephemeral street stalls, particularly dense in areas popular with tourists, contributing to the Thai vaping trend.

The second-highest prevalence rates were observed in two areas, both standing at 13.6%. These were classified as Area Health (AH) No.3, encompassing provinces including Chai Nat, Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Pichit and Uthai Thani, and the second as AH No.9 which includes Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Burirum and Surin.

A slightly lower prevalence rate of 13.2% was recorded in AH No.4, which consists of Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Nayok.

by Mitch Connor

Photo Courtesy blog.frontiersin.org

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/increasing-e-cigarette-use-among-thai-youth-sparks-health-concerns

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

At first i was very positive about these things... selfishly thinking I would not have to endure the exhaust stink from some selfish smokers again. But now I am reading people get addicted and have a lot of lung problems from them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is going to be a challenge for the authorities to deal with.

Guaranteeing relatively safe, tested, approved consumables is but one challenge.

Controlling sales, distribution and use is another.

And one can see the wide appeal of vaping vs. classic cigarette use. Portability, ease-of-use, customization, flavors, acceptability.

In Bangkok it seems like more than half the smokers huddled in an outdoor smoking area are vaping.

And in/near night clubs and night entertainment areas (Thai), forget about it, ~ 50% have vape sticks.

No easy solution here, including a full on ban.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At first i was very positive about these things... selfishly thinking I would not have to endure the exhaust stink from some selfish smokers again. But now I am reading people get addicted and have a lot of lung problems from them.

Lung problems are rare and mostly confined to 'repurposing', ie, spiking them with THC- cannabis oil. Very occasionally there is a case of hypersensitivity pneumonitis, usually in someone already predisposed.  Go to UK NHS website for real information, not the made up stuff you see in trash tabloids.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do like they did in Australia jacking up the price of a packet of smokes to $40-50 and are about to outlaw vaping. with many people stopped smoking as the results of those measures.

they are also setting an age limit on smoking too i think. after a certain year it will become illegal to smoke if not born on a certain date or earlier. 

bravo on that one. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

E-cigarettes, despite being illegal in Thailand, are commonly found and sold at many ephemeral street stalls, particularly dense in areas popular with tourists, contributing to the Thai vaping trend.

BS... blame the tourists yet again. Cheap shot

E-cigarettes are ILLEGAL... ask yourselves why are they available on the streets and malls?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do like they did in Australia jacking up the price of a packet of smokes to $40-50 and are about to outlaw vaping. with many people stopped smoking as the results of those measures.

What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No money for the Thai oligarch families.... never

On 6/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, ezzra said:

Why?

22 hours ago, stoner said:

they are also setting an age limit on smoking too i think. after a certain year it will become illegal to smoke if not born on a certain date or earlier. 

bravo on that one. 

You might be not grown up to decide yourself and wish the government can replace your parents.

But many people don't need that and can decide themself what they do in their life....

I don't smoke, drink very little don't use Marijuana but strongly advocate that people can use it whenever they want without any restrictions (beside when it endangers others like drunk driving)....other drugs as well.

42 minutes ago, h90 said:

You might be not grown up to decide yourself and wish the government can replace your parents.

But many people don't need that and can decide themself what they do in their life....

I don't smoke, drink very little don't use Marijuana but strongly advocate that people can use it whenever they want without any restrictions (beside when it endangers others like drunk driving)....other drugs as well.

so why can the government tell me to wear a seat belt then ? i want to chose not to use a seat belt without any repercussion. not wearing a seat belt only endangers me. or a helmet on a motorcycle. not in thailand of course :) 

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

so why can the government tell me to wear a seat belt then ? i want to chose not to use a seat belt without any repercussion. not wearing a seat belt only endangers me. or a helmet on a motorcycle. not in thailand of course ???? 

yes I agree...these laws are complete wrong. If I don't wear a seat belt, I don't endanger anyone other than myself. These laws should not exist....I would use a seat belt with or without the law, but don't need someone tell me

Just now, h90 said:

These laws should not exist....I would use a seat belt with or without the law, but don't need someone tell me

Laws are not written with you or individuals specifically in mind..... also many persons do need it to be written down. Can you not perceive other benefits of a seat belt law  that go beyond your own injury and impact society more generally?

15 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes I agree...these laws are complete wrong. If I don't wear a seat belt, I don't endanger anyone other than myself. These laws should not exist....I would use a seat belt with or without the law, but don't need someone tell me

as a self righteous ex smoker i think cigarettes should be illegal worldwide. :)

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Laws are not written with you or individuals specifically in mind..... also many persons do need it to be written down. Can you not perceive other benefits of a seat belt law  that go beyond your own injury and impact society more generally?

yes I see the negative impact on society. That society is not learning to take responsibility themself but get depended on the state.

Like people driving the speed limit....the same if all is clear and dry as if it raining and bad visibility.

The forget to judge themself instead blindly follow authorities.
And where would it end? If we half the speed limits we would be all even safer and if we shoot people who drive faster, no one would ever drive faster again it would be good for society....the greater good in society is one of the most dangerous arguments...abused by Stalin, Mao, Hitler....
The government should protect our freedom not sacrify something for the good of society.

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

as a self righteous ex smoker i think cigarettes should be illegal worldwide. ????

I am an ex smoker as well....And I would allow people to smoke whatever and whenever they want, when they are >18 years old.

Not my business what other people do.

9 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes I see the negative impact on society. That society is not learning to take responsibility themself but get depended on the state.

Yes, and that is very evident.... but it doesn't make sense to throw speed limits in the trash can, along with belt laws... lets get rid of drink driving too, far too many rules and not enough deaths!

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and that is very evident.... but it doesn't make sense to throw speed limits in the trash can, along with belt laws... lets get rid of drink driving too, far too many rules and not enough deaths!

yes yes...speed limits and no drunk driving make sense because you protect others.....As you may crash into someone. Not against these rules.

But only as example of lost ability to judge.....or other in Germany on the highways without any speed limit are not more accidents than in other countries with speed limits. The people learned to act responsible themself instead of setting the speed control on the maximum allowed speed+tolerance no matter what weather.