Thailand forcing Cashless Society

Jenkins9039

5 hours ago, cooked said:
22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The examples you provided have nothing to do with 'digital payment'...   

A person would have to store their cash under their mattress to avoid being inconvenienced by authorities 'suspending' their account (as per your Farage PEP argument).

Eh? Having your bank account suspended means you can't carry out digital payments. 

It also means you can't go to an ATM or walk into a bank and withdraw 'cash'..... 

Thus - the 'suspended bank account argument' you are using to argue against 'cashless society' is a completely flawed approach to the discussion.

35 minutes ago, Metapod said:

cashless positive? lol

giving the government absolute control of your ability to participate in the marketplace is a terrible idea. a good example of this is during the protests in Canada where the government shut down bank accounts of truck drivers.

I'd say enjoy your dystopian future, but you are probably already a geriatric and won't be around to see how bad it actually gets.

Shutting down the truck drivers in Canada has my wholehearted approval.

And taking your thoughts further, a govt’t’s actions might just devalue the currency so even cash is useless. Now what? Silver and gold?

On 7/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. How about the hundreds of millions who simply prefer for big brother to not be able to follow, monitor, collect and sell all your personal information, spending habits, etc. For me, it is just common sense. Has nothing to do with fear, or anything to hide. 

Not to mention the convenience of cash. How many times I have waited behind someone fumbling with their phone app for 8 minutes, while paying for a 45 baht item. 

Sorry, but I love cash. Cash is king, and real men carry plenty of it at all times, in my book. 

Thank you. This is the essence of the argument. 

But first: current fractional reserve banks are a scam and inherently dangerous. Just look at what is about to happen in the US for an example of a unstable banking system that is going to undergo complete collapse. There are no significant, solvent banks in the entire country. They are all underwater due to the rising interest rates, and are being kept alive on nothing more than prayer and fantasy.  Cash under my mattress is infinitely safer than a fractional reserve bank.

Back to the argument above, I have zero interest in digital cash even if we do go back to gold backed currency. I don't wish to share my personal data with the government. I know the kind of manipulative tactics data mining can be used for, and I want no part of any of it.  You are insane if you think only criminals are concerned about this. If you are giving away your personal information to those who will use it to manipulate you, you deserve what you are going to get. Educate yourself on how AI works, and the dangers of it. I will fiercely resist any move towards a cashless society, and I will make that known to every merchant I work with. If you want my business, you'll promote cash.

I don't even use loyalty cards anymore. Just say no!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, FritsSikkink said:

You forget that a lot of Thai people who trade don't have a bank account because it takes too long to get one.

You are kidding, right?

How long does it take to get a bank account?

My kid got a bank account at 8 years old.

Away with yourself. How many sick buffaloes have you treated?

44 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You are kidding, right?

How long does it take to get a bank account?

My kid got a bank account at 8 years old.

Away with yourself. How many sick buffaloes have you treated?

An account for a trader is something different than a savings account of a kid. But what do you know.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, Neeranam said:

No it isn't, it's nearly a cashless society, following China. 

Indeed but quite away behind China. I went for my niece's graduation in 2019 and it was effectively cashless then.I got some weird responses trying to pay with money.

Went away for the weekend and ended up  in a hotel that was on the other side of a river from the town centre. There was a little ferry taking people back and fore for about 3 baht. Cost me whatever I had, driver had no change as everyone paid by smartphone.

Quite a few services couldn't be used by visitors as they could only be paid for by smartphone. Godsend at times having my niece with us.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

An account for a trader is something different than a savings account of a kid. But what do you 

On 7/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. How about the hundreds of millions who simply prefer for big brother to not be able to follow, monitor, collect and sell all your personal information, spending habits, etc. For me, it is just common sense. Has nothing to do with fear, or anything to hide. 

Not to mention the convenience of cash. How many times I have waited behind someone fumbling with their phone app for 8 minutes, while paying for a 45 baht item. 

Sorry, but I love cash. Cash is king, and real men carry plenty of it at all times, in my book. 

“Hundreds of millions”??? So basically the entire population of USA. That number deserves proof. I’m waiting. 

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

There are a dozen good reasons to avoid this big brother society. 

1. When your personal data is exposed, it can make you vulnerable to data breaches. 

2. Cashless transactions rely on technology, which sometimes fails.

3. When you pay with a credit card or a digital platform, it costs retailers money in the form of third-party fees. At a time when many small businesses are struggling to stay afloat, these fees can really add up.

4. Vulnerable populations — including low-income earners, retirees, some immigrants and people with disabilities — “have little or no access to electronic payments and are increasingly shut out as banks cut back on ATMs and customer service. 

I could go on, and on, and on. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are a dozen good reasons to avoid this big brother society. 

1. When your personal data is exposed, it can make you vulnerable to data breaches. 

2. Cashless transactions rely on technology, which sometimes fails.

3. When you pay with a credit card or a digital platform, it costs retailers money in the form of third-party fees. At a time when many small businesses are struggling to stay afloat, these fees can really add up.

4. Vulnerable populations — including low-income earners, retirees, some immigrants and people with disabilities — “have little or no access to electronic payments and are increasingly shut out as banks cut back on ATMs and customer service. 

I could go on, and on, and on. 

Unless you’re an unskilled illegal daily laborer, I can’t think of any employer who pays staff in cash. So people need a bank account, which means banks already have all your info. Add a driver’s license, gov’t health card, and passport and your whole identity is out there already.

Life is too short to worry about big brother and what if. It’s going back to living off the land or going forward and digital. Technology fails; money can be counterfeit. The Chinese are so good at counterfeiting gold coins (Kruger Rand) that some gold traders/jewelers refuse to accept gold coins. There’s risk everywhere. Is there social injustice, sure, but going back to cash is also not the solution. I’m not willing to pay a higher price at a SME/ Mom&Pop store if I can find it cheaper online.