Diabetes cases to double to 1.3 billion by 2050

Confuscious

The number of people suffering from diabetes worldwide will more than double to 1.3 billion by 2050 driven by structural racism and gaping inequality between countries, new research predicted on Friday.

Every country on the globe will see an increase in the number of patients with the chronic disease, according to the most comprehensive analysis of global data projecting out to 2050.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/diabetes-cases-to-double-to-1-3-billion-by-2050-study/

I call it BS, as by 2050, and long before that, there will be a cure for diabetes as we speak there are many drugs in the pipeline waiting to be approved according to several medical publications.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, ezzra said:

I call it BS, as by 2050, and long before that, there will be a cure for diabetes as we speak there are many drugs in the pipeline waiting to be approved according to several medical publications.

There is already a cure for Type 2 diabetes.....and even easier to prevent it.

• Thumbs Up 1

From my little bit of observation, it seems that people are either diabetic or pre-diabetic, meaning most people will graduate at some point... and I know many with diabetes and yet who are asymptomatic w/o any treatment. I do understand the possibilities but I wonder if the # of people who actually suffer an affliction from this is a significant number? 

Sure, blindness and limb loss is nothing to sneeze at, but it seems that the people who have diabetes either manage it or never have symptoms??

My father had diabetes and never knew it. He died with it, not from it... 

• Like 2

Just a few days ago I read about a diabetes drug that helps weight loss (even metformin does to some extent). Wegovy: FDA approves obesity drug to help people keep pounds off | CNN

"Semaglutide can help people lose up to 12% of their body weight over about a year and a half".

Sounds good, but will it lead to people forgetting about diet and exercise?

I have read, and perhaps an American member can confirm or not, that even bread has sugar in it in the U.S. It is the need for sweet food, which may be yummy, but is almost poisoning people.

5 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Tell me more about this cure.

no carbohydrates for under supervision from a doctor....for a few month, and than slowly adding complex carbs again.

Together with healthy nutrition, of course weight loss they get almost all patience complete off medication.

They say if weight gain and eat like before it comes again, so some don't agree to call it a cure.

Note only Type 2, not Type 1. Type 1 is something complete different

16 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Just a few days ago I read about a diabetes drug that helps weight loss (even metformin does to some extent). Wegovy: FDA approves obesity drug to help people keep pounds off | CNN

"Semaglutide can help people lose up to 12% of their body weight over about a year and a half".

Sounds good, but will it lead to people forgetting about diet and exercise?

I have read, and perhaps an American member can confirm or not, that even bread has sugar in it in the U.S. It is the need for sweet food, which may be yummy, but is almost poisoning people.

I think it is meant for people that tried already with diet and exercise and failed with it.....

4 minutes ago, h90 said:

no carbohydrates for under supervision from a doctor....for a few month, and than slowly adding complex carbs again.

Together with healthy nutrition, of course weight loss they get almost all patience complete off medication.

They say if weight gain and eat like before it comes again, so some don't agree to call it a cure.

Note only Type 2, not Type 1. Type 1 is something complete different

That is a treatment and not a cure. Presently there are no medically approved cures for type 2 diabetes, just treatments. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

That is a treatment and not a cure. Presently there are no medically approved cures for type 2 diabetes, just treatments. 

Yes some claim that it is not a cure. But afterwards you can eat "normal"....but not as before. Living a healthy normal life without medication.....Other docs claim it is a cure...... Which is semantic. Both arguments make sense

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, PeterA said:

For the many "Know-it-alls" here. Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people. I am 5'7", 100 pounds or 46 kilo for those that can't count.

I have diabetes, type 2 not because I am fat, or eat junk food all day. Genetics spelled it out for me. So stop being ignorant and learn about something before opening the big trap and letting out the hot air.

1 sensible response

3 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Eat healthy, eat only vegetarian food, yea right. Have you noticed how heavy a Cape Buffalo, African Elephant and a Hippopotamus are? Right, they only eat grasses and leaves. Eat vegetarian my .... .

But are they Diabetic?

• Haha 1

Look around , people are huge ! My Thai friends are all on the very slim side, their kids have layers of fat, ice cream, hamburgers , crisps, Thai fast food etc etc making them all unhealthy. I’ve never seen an overweight person who is fit and healthy. I’ll never forget sitting on a beautiful beach in Mexicos Isla de las Mujeres. I walked over the the quay as a US cruiser arrived and tourists disembarked, they could hardly walk the short distance , huffing and puffing.  Healthy they were not. 

On 7/2/2023 at 10:37 PM, atpeace said:

Donuts are more expensive than vegetables but more of the world is opting for donuts.

BS. You can get a pack of donuts for $2.50 from Walmart and be full but a person can neither eat a broccoli brunch for $3 nor it is going to make him full. People are not cows. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 7/3/2023 at 12:20 AM, ezzra said:

Yes, an easy cure with a drug is always what fat lazy will people turn to instead of eating healthy and exercise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, atpeace said:

"The number of people suffering from diabetes worldwide will more than double to 1.3 billion by 2050 driven by structural racism and gaping inequality between countries, new research predicted on Friday"

The title is ridiculous.

How about the people suffering from diabetes will double driven by peoples insatiable appetite.  What a waste of money and energy on this research.  Obese people are 80x more likely to have type 2 diabetes.  It isn't a poverty issue or racism that is the issue.  Donuts are more expensive than vegetables but more of the world is opting for donuts.

Well said.

IMO type 2 diabetes is very easy to avoid- don't get fat, do more physical work or exercise more, and most importantly STOP EATING SUGAR as much as possible.

Being pre diabetic I had to give up sugar and lost 10 kg in a year without going on a diet or doing more exercise. I have not, thus far, progressed to diabetes.

Sugar is IMO a toxic substance, but we all love to consume it.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:28 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

BS. You can get a pack of donuts for $2.50 from Walmart and be full but a person can neither eat a broccoli brunch for $3 nor it is going to make him full. People are not cows. 

It's only necessary to give up sugar. Otherwise one can eat most things. To claim that one has to go vegetarian is nonsense.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:28 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Generally speaking you are correct but my gut is telling me you might be cow like.  Can you kindly post a pic of your gut and with this post in the background. Think that may clear things up.   Nothing wrong with loving donuts but there can be consequences.

BTW, I love donuts and sugar.  A look in the mirror and my good blood sugar numbers tell me that I can do this but most can't.  Everybody has their own reality and most ignore it when it comes to their health.

$3 of broccoli would tear my intestines apart.  The solo rectal symphony would scare the neighbors.  There are other milder alternatives.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:58 PM, Confuscious said:

1 sensible response

On 7/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, PeterA said:

For the many "Know-it-alls" here. Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people. I am 5'7", 100 pounds or 46 kilo for those that can't count.

I have diabetes, type 2 not because I am fat, or eat junk food all day. Genetics spelled it out for me. So stop being ignorant and learn about something before opening the big trap and letting out the hot air.

So diabetes is a thin people disease?  You are taking this personally and that is not the answer.  Diabetes is catastrophic health issue and your post is condescending and pointless. 

I think we all get that diabetes inflicts healthy individuals and this unfair.  I would bet  95%+ don't fall into the healthy category.  My good  friend years ago had diabetes and everybody was shocked.  Why were they shocked? It is extremely rare is the reason.  Doesn't take a genius to reflect on the body shape of those they know that have diabetes.

Edited by atpeace
no reason
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

So diabetes is a thin people disease?  You are taking this personally and that is not the answer.  Diabetes is catastrophic health issue and your post is condescending and pointless.  I think we all get that diabetes inflicts healthy individuals and this unfair.  I would bet  95%+ don't fall into the healthy category.  My good  friend years ago had diabetes and everybody was shocked.  Why were they shocked? It is extremely rare is the reason.  Doesn't take a genius to reflect on the body shape of those they know that have diabetes.

How is it condescending, and how do you get to: "So diabetes is a thin people disease?" from: "Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people.

• Like 1