Diabetes cases to double to 1.3 billion by 2050

Confuscious

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What does that mean? Virtually all food is processed. 

meat is not processed. (apart from cold cuts .... KFC is processed as the chicken is fried in unhealthy oils )

fruit is not processed

dairy - homogenized, so partially processed. but still healthy in my opinion. but some parts of europe sell raw cheese, raw butter, raw milk etc ... will be healthiest option. 

nuts are not a processed food

Edited by save the frogs

Just now, save the frogs said:

meat is not processed. (apart from cold cuts .... KFC is processed as the chicken is fried in unhealthy oils )

fruit is not processed

dairy - homogenized, so partially processed. but still healthy in my opinion. but some parts of europe sell raw cheese etc ... will be healthiest option. 

nuts are not a processed food

Meat is processed as are most fruit, nuts, vegetables and all dairy products.

I think you need to come up with a better definition of processed than KFC. I hear people throw around the "processed foods" but none of them seem to know what they are talking about, nor can they provide a clear definition of what processed foods are. 

Picking, washing, cutting, cooking, refrigerating, freezing, drying, seasoning and any number things are all processes. The "processed foods" brigade is tiresome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

no, not just sugar.

need to give up all processed foods. 

not all.......you can still live unhealthy and have no sugar problems

44 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What does that mean? Virtually all food is processed. 

What he means is ultra processed...some call it industrial processed, which is also misleading...cleaned potato or wheat powder is also industrial processed.

he means processed food like deep frozen pizza with a one page long ingredient list that need a phd in chemistry to understand.

not processed food in the meaning of a yogurt from milk only.

that term is a bit misleading.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it condescending, and how do you get to: "So diabetes is a thin people disease?" from: "Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people.

My brother is very tin, yet he suffer diabetes 1.
He can eat a full meal every hour and still remain thing.

I can eat very scarsely and careful and still I am fat.
Same for my oldest daughter who tried everything, even under medical supervision, and dont lose any significal weight.

All depends on how the body exchange your food intake.

Not all fat people are fat because they want it.

20 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

My brother is very tin, yet he suffer diabetes 1.
He can eat a full meal every hour and still remain thing.

I can eat very scarsely and careful and still I am fat.
Same for my oldest daughter who tried everything, even under medical supervision, and dont lose any significal weight.

All depends on how the body exchange your food intake.

Not all fat people are fat because they want it.

Type 1 diabetes is different from Type 2, though result is the same if not treated.

So, thin people can be diabetic.

The point about fat people being likely to develop diabetes Type 2 is valid, along with more likely to have heart and joint problems and for the vast majority is entirely avoidable. Many of us, myself included, eat too much, eat too much sugar ( not myself now ) and carbohydrates, and exercise too little.

For the poster that wrote that we had to give up processed food, that may be correct, as well as bread and gluten foods, but given I buy my food from the supermarket I'd starve if I didn't eat any processed food.

The days of the butcher, fishmonger and greengrocer are pretty much distant past now.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Type 1 diabetes is different from Type 2, though result is the same if not treated.

So, thin people can be diabetic.

The point about fat people being likely to develop diabetes Type 2 is valid, along with more likely to have heart and joint problems and for the vast majority is entirely avoidable. Many of us, myself included, eat too much, eat too much sugar ( not myself now ) and carbohydrates, and exercise too little.

For the poster that wrote that we had to give up processed food, that may be correct, as well as bread and gluten foods, but given I buy my food from the supermarket I'd starve if I didn't eat any processed food.

The days of the butcher, fishmonger and greengrocer are pretty much distant past now.

Untill 1995, I was going every day to the gym after work.
From 6pm to 8pm do a full body workout and end with a sauna session.
I had a beautiful athletic body, size 28.
End 1995, I suffered a stroke which left me in a hospital bed for 1 1/2 month.
I was fully paralyzed, though I recovered about 90% of my body functions.

When I recovered, I went back to work and to the gym every day.
Although, not the "hard" gym and doing softer exercizes.
Everything was going better, untill I suffered several heart attacks.
Luckely for me, I suffered the heart attacks while I was having a checkup in the hospital and they gave me immediate help.

When I woke up, the Cardiolog gave me the order to stop working immediatly and above all "NO EXERCIZE WHATSOVER".

I tried later to do some little exercize, but every time I tried I started to have the same excrusiating pain in my cheeks and I had to stop.

I gained a lot of weight by the lack of exercize and was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 in 2005.

There is NO WAY for me to exercize.
Even a simple walk ends with excrusiating pain in my cheeks (low oxygen in the blood) which will end in a heart attack if I don't stop immediatly.

It's easy to point a finger to fat people, but you need to thing a little bit further as your nose length.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss "for the vast majority is entirely avoidable." in my post?

Exactly. For some people, it's unavoidable. For most people, diet will help. 

I tested early type 2 about ten years ago and changing my diet pretty much cleared it up. 

• Thanks 1

Great news.  Invest in J&J, Eli Lily, and Medtronic.  Also, any medical device company that is creating combination products for diabetes would be a great investment.

No matter how I try to tell my fellow Americans back home that they are killing themselves by eating the process junk, they ignore me and now are paying the consequences.

Then I move to Thailand and see the same cycle being repeated at the malls and stores...processed crap, with chemicals designed to stimulate your taste buds so you eat more process crap.  Look at the lines in the malls for those pretzel sticks and other junk that destroys your body!

Humans....thanks for never disappointing me with your decisions.

On 7/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Inepto Cracy said:

Eat healthy, eat only vegetarian food, yea right. Have you noticed how heavy a Cape Buffalo, African Elephant and a Hippopotamus are? Right, they only eat grasses and leaves. Eat vegetarian my .... .

Also,  India is a majority vegetarian country and now is experiencing an obesity problem...please explain.

38 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Also,  India is a majority vegetarian country and now is experiencing an obesity problem...please explain.

I worked in India, just because food is vegetarian does not mean it's healthy. Ever heard of Ghee? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Exactly. For some people, it's unavoidable. For most people, diet will help. 

I tested early type 2 about ten years ago and changing my diet pretty much cleared it up. 

Yes. I gave up sugar as much as possible, no more cake, chocolate, soft drink with sugar etc. Lost a lot of weight and no progression towards diabetes ( far as I know ).

Luckily there are many sugar substitutes available, so I can still have soft drinks without sugar. Unfortunately, most processed food seems to be full of sugar.

I don't think that anybody can make a prediction of what will be in 25 years.

When I was young, we ate mostly food which was grown in our garden.
Meat and eggs was provided by our own chickens, our "waste bin" or the pig in the garden and a few rabbits who were multiplaying ...like rabbits (Vlaamse reuzen).
Most of our neighbors did the same.
There was no supermarket or a 24 hours store.
We went every morning with a 2 liter can to the farm (about 5 km away trough the fields) to get our milk, fresh from the cow.
There was hardly fat people as most people was working a full day job and after the job working on their field.

When I came to Thailand, more than 2 decades ago now, there was no fat people. 
Although their daily meal was constitued of a bowl of sticky rice and some barbecued chicken.
On Sunday or a special day, Som Tam was served with barbecued chicken.

Nowadays, most people go eat at a mall or get their food from a supermarket or a delivery (Grab, Line Food, etc.)
This food is full of taste enhancers and other bad ingredients.

Meat is transported in an open truck from some place in Isaan to Bangkok where it will be processed.
Rotting and full of flies.
But everything seems clean when you get it on your plate.

When I was young, a slaughtered chicken had to be cook or fried on the same day and consumed within 24 hours.
After that time, the stench was awfull and the meat started to be sticky.
Nowadays, a chicken is slaughtered at a process plant, sent to a producer who will pack it and then semd to a seller.
Sometimes 1 week between the process plant and the supermarket.
Yet, the chicken looks fresh and tasty when you buy it.

Every food that is consumed in the last 20 years has been processed or genetically modified and these chemicals are consumed and modify the people that eat it.
And the life style from now is not making things better.

I and many people I know have changed their life style and are trying to eat healthy food and drinks now.
But the majority of the people stick to their meal delivery guy, drink sugary drinks from the coffee shops which are growing faster than rice, and buy cakes and other food from an outlet at a mall or supermarket.
It will take a lot of time to change that habit.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it condescending, and how do you get to: "So diabetes is a thin people disease?" from: "Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people.

You forgot the sentence  prior.  "For the many "Know-it-alls" here".    I think we all know diabetes is not just for fat people and I stated that in my post.  Why are you selectively omitting what was said?

I feel, possibly in error, that diabetes is a a disease of the unhealthy minus rare exceptions.  His post was stating the exception to the norm which confuses the root issue.  People eat much too much and exercise too little.  

52 minutes ago, atpeace said:

You forgot the sentence  prior.  "For the many "Know-it-alls" here".    I think we all know diabetes is not just for fat people and I stated that in my post.  Why are you selectively omitting what was said?

Is it your position that there are not a lot of know it all's here? Okay strike that. 

Again, how do you get to:  "So diabetes is a thin people disease?" from: "Diabetes is not just for fat or obese people." 

52 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I feel, possibly in error, that diabetes is a a disease of the unhealthy minus rare exceptions.  His post was stating the exception to the norm which confuses the root issue.  People eat much too much and exercise too little.  

You feel. that's pretty strong evidence. I do not disagree, but I imagine diabetics that do all the right things get tired of people claiming it's their fault. 

You say "diabetes", yet type 1 and 2 are very different. Diabetes is not rare, and many people are born with it. 

Diabetes is Type 1 diabetes is completely genetic. 

Type 2 diabetes is influenced by both genetics and lifestyle factors (exercise, diet) and  obesity. 

The odds of developing Type2 are much greater if one is overweight and sedentary.  But it is perfectly possible for someone trim and fit with a healthy diet to develop it if there is a strong genetic predisposition, and such cases are not rare. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I

You feel. that's pretty strong evidence. I do not disagree, but I imagine diabetics that do all the right things get tired of people claiming it's their fault. 

You say "diabetes", yet type 1 and 2 are very different. Diabetes is not rare, and many people are born with it. 

I would feel frustrated also but I'm not into the "WOKE" thing and would rather speak the truth.  Being born with diabetes is  rare (.00015   - extremely rare ) and google "Neonatal Diabetes" if you have doubts. 

As I have stated many times, perfectly healthy lifestyle individuals develop diabetes but it is extremely rare.   Many of us are disadvantaged genetically and we have to adjust - life isn't fair.  I myself have had pitty parties about my lot and realized it wasn't the solution. 

As for using "I feel" as pretty strong evidence as you stated, it is used to express an opinion.  I am far from always correct and am open to new information when presented. Some on this forum nitpick ( not you) and aways choose fighting for their beliefs in lieu of listening to others.

Diabetes is a frightening disease and ignoring the "main" cause to make people feel better about themselves is not the answer.  People are much more willing to face the truth  as you did, when a health situation is presented with clarity.  7 Years ago I was told I would only recover 50% of my lung capacity based on the MRI and the breathing force of my lungs.  It was a clear message and I moved forward after shedding a few tears.  

Maybe runs in the family ?   most of my Uncles and Ants [6 of them] were diabetic ...

Here in Thailand.  2 friends both in there 60s and painfully thin are diabetic....  just up the Village, Thai friends for years.  there all diabetic the old man 92, son 56, grandson 22 and grand daughter 26 all diabetic and all must take insulin daily, NON are over weight/fat

Another Thai friend is well over weight  but only take 1 x 500 mg Metformin a day, last week his Hospital visit FBS was 126. it has been around the same for past 5 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Maybe runs in the family ?   most of my Uncles and Ants [6 of them] were diabetic ...

Here in Thailand.  2 friends both in there 60s and painfully thin are diabetic....  just up the Village, Thai friends for years.  there all diabetic the old man 92, son 56, grandson 22 and grand daughter 26 all diabetic and all must take insulin daily, NON are over weight/fat

Another Thai friend is well over weight  but only take 1 x 500 mg Metformin a day, last week his Hospital visit FBS was 126. it has been around the same for past 5 years.

Unlike the what I've witnessed outside of Thailand and I too have wondered why.  My Thai brother in-law was thin and healthy looking but suffered from diabetes.  He ate like many Thais; copious amounts of processed rice which is only a little better than raw sugar. 

I myself consume huge amounts of sugar everyday but have almost eliminated processed rice.  If I'm going to eat crapp it is going to be something I enjoy more than plain white rice and it definitely isn't going to be my go to food source.  Many Thais probably get 70% of their calories from rice and this has been catastrophic for many. 

20 years ago when Thais were much thinner, diabetes was a major concern for many.  I remember thinking what is going on here with so many people in the village going to clinics for insulin shots.

5 hours ago, ignis said:

Almost everybody in my family had and has Diabetes.

Yet, my brother is skin over bones and has Diabetes 1 while I am fat and have Diabetes 2.

Strange, we learn that we suffer from Diabetes AFTER a surgery whilst visiting the doctors regularly.

14 hours ago, atpeace said:

Being born with diabetes is  rare (.00015   - extremely rare ) and google "Neonatal Diabetes" if you have doubts. 

As I have stated many times, perfectly healthy lifestyle individuals develop diabetes but it is extremely rare.   

1. You are confusing neonatal diabetes with genetically caused diabetes. Many genetic problems do not cause disease immediately; "genetic" is not synonymous with "neonatal".  Type 1 diabetes is genetic in cause but does not usually first  manifest until later in childhood or adolescence.

2. Type 2 diabetes as previously mentioned can be due to acquired factors or genetics or a mixture of both. It is entirely possible for thin physically active people to develop type 2 diabetes and far from rare.  It also becomes more common with age. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not about Diabetes, but a lot of members posted in this thread that they are controlling what food they eat/drink.

I can imagine that in my younger days, where we cultivated most of the food and drinks in our own garden, we know what we get on the table.

No "unhealthy" stuff added to our garden products (these stuff was anyway too expensive).

But how can you control what you eat nowadays?
Very few people are farming their own vegetables/fruits and I don't this that many members are raising their own cattle or other eat products.

We all know that every vegetable/fruit has been treated with products to keep insects away and grow faster.
There is no 'Safe" additional product to protect the vegetables/fruits that is 100% safe for humans.

We all know that most of the vegetables/fruits are produced by a few big companies and not much is disclosed about how they cultivate their products (Ukraine is the biggest grain producer in the world).

We all know how cattle and other animals are elevated (a pig can be ready for slaughter in 3 months) and full of additives to keep diseases away and enhance growth.

Worse, Europe is passing a new law to reduce the cattle elevation (bad gasses for the environment) and according to what I am reading, Bill Gates is buying all the farmland to control production in the US.

Every single product of our daily consumption has been processed in some way.

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Not about Diabetes, but a lot of members posted in this thread that they are controlling what food they eat/drink.

I can imagine that in my younger days, where we cultivated most of the food and drinks in our own garden, we know what we get on the table.

No "unhealthy" stuff added to our garden products (these stuff was anyway too expensive).

But how can you control what you eat nowadays?
Very few people are farming their own vegetables/fruits and I don't this that many members are raising their own cattle or other eat products.

We all know that every vegetable/fruit has been treated with products to keep insects away and grow faster.
There is no 'Safe" additional product to protect the vegetables/fruits that is 100% safe for humans.

We all know that most of the vegetables/fruits are produced by a few big companies and not much is disclosed about how they cultivate their products (Ukraine is the biggest grain producer in the world).

We all know how cattle and other animals are elevated (a pig can be ready for slaughter in 3 months) and full of additives to keep diseases away and enhance growth.

Worse, Europe is passing a new law to reduce the cattle elevation (bad gasses for the environment) and according to what I am reading, Bill Gates is buying all the farmland to control production in the US.

Every single product of our daily consumption has been processed in some way.

"Every single product of our daily consumption has been processed in some way..." since the beginning of man.

Picking is a process, as is washing. 

The simple truth is that overall, people today suffer less hunger, are better nourished and live longer than at any point in the history of the world. 

"Better Things for Living...Through Chemistry" 

Whether or not there is a cure, or a preventative treatment for Type 2 Diabetes, there is far too much money to be made from providing treatments and medicines for it to be attractive to the pharmaceutical industry to either research or develop such alternative treatments.

Just compare the cost of insulin here to the cost in the USA. The USA and other Western countries are where the research and development will take place. That is where the pharmaceutical industry is, that is where it has its clout. 

On 7/8/2023 at 11:14 PM, Sheryl said:

Diabetes is Type 1 diabetes is completely genetic. 

Type 2 diabetes is influenced by both genetics and lifestyle factors (exercise, diet) and  obesity. 

The odds of developing Type2 are much greater if one is overweight and sedentary.  But it is perfectly possible for someone trim and fit with a healthy diet to develop it if there is a strong genetic predisposition, and such cases are not rare. 

Best answer. My brother died 4 years ago from a heart attack at age 66. He had type 2 and was overweight. The doctors, as well as I and his family, asked him to lose weight but he loved to eat. He was around 260lbs(117kg). He, nor anyone else in my family I know of, never had heart problems, until this diabetes turned to type 2. Then , of course without any weight loss, he developed heart problems. His resting pulse and blood pressures were always very low like my own, yet he had to start taking heart medicine. he rarely exercised anymore, was always on the computer, and one day when he came home, he fell to the floor and was gone, found by his son. I have been bodybuilding about 50 years now, and eating very healthy all that time, including before that. My weight has been 168-175 (76-79kg)  all that time, recently 168 because living here I can't get to the gym as often and have lost some muscle. Always have a six pack. The only other family member I remember that had diabetes was my aunt, my dad's sister, and now my son, who's 32. He is always very active and has eaten good all his life, so there's that genetic thing. I tested my blood sugar, for the first time in years, last year when I visited back home, at his house. It was 80. Tested twice, the same. My ex wife's mom here weighs maybe 85 lbs (38 kg), has type 2 for many years, daily insulin, without checking but once a month (unlike daily in the states). She has eaten white rice for all her life, as has my ex wife 120 lbs (54kg), who also developed diabetes tw years ago. Other family members also have it. My ex takes metformin for now. Most Thais are farmers, and work long days outside, eating basically the same Thai diet all their lives, which is high in complex carbs. Carbohydrates aren't the problem, they raise blood sugar slowly. White rice is the problem, high on the glycemic scale, and it raises blood sugar rapidly., which isn't good for a diabetic. Thailand has a high incidence of diabetes, about 1 in 10 adults diagnosed, because of this and genetics, along with those that are now accustomed to drinking the ever present sugar drinks and western junk food.  Thais still are active for the most part, but obesity has been rising yearly because of the preponderance of introduced junk food and sugary drinks. Not all processed food is bad for health. Much has to be processed to be safe. Adding sugar and salt is from companies that want to sell the food, as they know people get addicted to sugar and salt.