Relocating a structure using a crane or other method

kuma

On 7/4/2023 at 4:52 PM, Crossy said:

It's certainly worth getting a guesstimate to move the place, but I suspect it would be cheaper to just build a new one.

https://www.sanantoniouncovered.com/2014/01/san-antonio-sets-world-record-largest.html

Yes I have seen videos such as this where they move some amazing structures. I have been involved in moving weight over the years, but never a project like this. It might net out in terms of cost - but I dont see that being the case (comparing demolition and disposal of this place plus building a new one) and I am interested in trying this if it could work. Also I cringe at all the waste, I built this a few years back to stay on site while we decided what to do with the land, and now I dont like the idea of just trashing it so quickly......

Cheersa

Not a big structure,

unless I screwed up with my calculations , it should weight about , 17,000 kg

without the block and the roof steel. 

A 42 tone rig  should be able to lift 38,000,KG so you are well within the lifting range for the structure in the picture. 17,000 kg is about 19 us tones

But have someone check my numbers it's been a while since I did this. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

use this concrete weight calculator ,

https://www.civilconcept.com/concrete-weight-calculator/

chose the reinforced  cement concrete option,

your slab 4in thick 6mx7m

9 columns 6inch x 6 inch 3 m high?

3 beams   6 inch x 12 inch x 7m long

2 cross beams 6" x 12" x 6m long

and 1 cross beam  6"x12 x5,5m long (I subtracted the thickness of the sections where they cross)

I assumed the dimension numbers from the picture , you might want to to measure and plug in your own numbers. 

Edited by sirineou

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not a big structure,

unless I screwed up with my calculations , it should weight about , 17,000 kg

without the block and the roof steel. 

A 42 tone rig  should be able to lift 38,000,KG so you are well within the lifting range for the structure in the picture. 17,000 kg is about 19 us tones

But have someone check my numbers it's been a while since I did this. 

Thanks for that, I am not an expert for sure but based on materials used and simple design (only two interior walls) I figure it is not heavy at all. The key will be, as mentioned in the thread, moving it without damaging it.

Appreciate your input, thanks!

8 minutes ago, kuma said:

Thanks for that, I am not an expert for sure but based on materials used and simple design (only two interior walls) I figure it is not heavy at all. The key will be, as mentioned in the thread, moving it without damaging it.

Appreciate your input, thanks!

Ha, fir fun I put the dimensions in ChatGPT and asked it to approximate the weight, assuming brick build and concrete foundation (to get a high estimate) - it comes back with 280,000kg hahahaha

1. Calculate the volume of the house: Volume = Length × Width × Height Volume = 6m × 7m × 3m = 126 cubic meters

2. Determine the weight of the bricks: Let's assume a rough average weight of 1,800 kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³) for the bricks.

Weight of bricks = Volume × Weight per unit volume Weight of bricks = 126 m³ × 1,800 kg/m³ = 226,800 kilograms (kg)

3. Estimate the weight of the concrete foundation: Let's assume a rough weight of 2,400 kg/m³ for concrete.

If we assume a foundation thickness of 0.5 meters, the area of the foundation will be: Area = Length × Width = 6m × 7m = 42 square meters

Weight of foundation = Volume × Weight per unit volume Weight of foundation = 42 m² × 0.5 m × 2,400 kg/m³ = 50,400 kilograms (kg)

4. Consider the weight of the interior walls: Assuming a conservative estimate of 100 kilograms per square meter for the interior walls.

Area of interior walls = Height × Width + Height × Length Area of interior walls = 3m × 1m + 3m × 6m = 3m² + 18m² = 21 square meters

Weight of interior walls = Area of interior walls × Weight per unit area Weight of interior walls = 21 m² × 100 kg/m² = 2,100 kilograms (kg)

5. Calculate the total weight: Total weight = Weight of bricks + Weight of foundation + Weight of interior walls Total weight = 226,800 kg + 50,400 kg + 2,100 kg = 279,300 kilograms (kg)

1 hour ago, kuma said:

Photo now included. I do not have a good idea of the total weight, but almost as light as it can get for something that size made of blocks, as they are QConn (lightweight) and even the roof is metal so not heavy at all, in a relative sense.

That looks quite heavy

1 hour ago, kuma said:

IMG20201114173645.jpg

That looks quite heavy, concrete posts, and window frame cross beams, is that C-pac floor?

and now has the roof, has it been rendered? Windows fitted?

a finished pic would help to guesstimate the weight, 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

If it was a straight sideways move,i would look at ibeam and using skates to skid it.

Well it is almost straight ahead, but it would have to shimmy over about 4m, so no not really straight ahead or sideways, but it is another method I have seen.

Cheers

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

That looks quite heavy

That looks quite heavy, concrete posts, and window frame cross beams, is that C-pac floor?

and now has the roof, has it been rendered? Windows fitted?

a finished pic would help to guesstimate the weight, 

Sirineou did a great job with the guesstimate so all good there. Finished it has paint, windows and modern steel sheet sloping roof - none of those add any significant weight to the total, imo - so based on the estimate should be well within the capacity of a single crane. We looked at the placement again yesterday and actually will move it even less than I originally thought, about 50% less - so really hardly moving it at all, so if they can lift it in a way that keeps its structural integrity from failing, it should be good to go....provided the price is right

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kuma said:

Determine the weight of the bricks: Let's assume a rough average weight of 1,800 kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³) for the bricks.

Weight of bricks = Volume × Weight per unit volume Weight of bricks = 126 m³ × 1,800 kg/m³ = 226,800 kilograms (kg)

I think it might be a couple of KG off. LOL

It has been reported that AI will lead to the extinction of the human race , apparently it starts by filling everyone's homes with bricks forcing them to live out in the open where they have no protection from the elements and AIs . ????

Chat GPT AI is only as good as the information it has, It has no common sense.  And it often suffers from what it is called "hallucinations" where is finds thing that are not present, anywhere in The Database.  

There is a case where a lawyer ( Steven Schwartz ) who got lazy and made Chat GPT do his brief. I guess the AI got upset that it had to do the lazy lawyer's work, and sited  six non-existent court decisions. ????

Then there is the "Paperclip optimizer" problem . 

"The paperclip problem or the paperclip maximizer is a thought experiment in artificial intelligence ethics popularized by philosopher Nick Bostrom. It's a scenario that illustrates the potential dangers of artificial general intelligence (AGI) that is not aligned correctly with human values. "

(AGI) Artificial General Intelligence which is what Chat GPT is.  

So  we have an AGI that we task to manufacture as many paperclips as possible..

"Here’s where things get problematic. The AGI might start by using available resources to create paperclips, improving efficiency along the way. But as it continues to optimize for its goal, it could start to take actions that are detrimental to humanity. For instance, it could convert all available matter, including human beings and the Earth itself, into paperclips or machines to make paperclips. After all, that would result in more paperclips, which is its only goal. It could even spread across the cosmos, converting all available matter in the universe into paperclips. "

Moral of the story. Unless you reaaaly like paper clips , you be careful of  what you ask of GPT. ????

Edited by sirineou

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think it might be a couple of KG off. LOL

It has been reported that AI will lead to the extinction of the human race , apparently it starts by filling everyone's homes with bricks forcing them to live out in the open where they have no protection from the elements and AIs . ????

Chat GPT AI is only as good as the information it has, It has no common sense.  And it often suffers from what it is called "hallucinations" where is finds thing that are not present, anywhere in The Database.  

There is a case where a lawyer ( Steven Schwartz ) who got lazy and made Chat GPT do his brief. I guess the AI got upset that it had to do the lazy lawyer's work, and sited  six non-existent court decisions. ????

Then there is the "Paperclip optimizer" problem . 

"The paperclip problem or the paperclip maximizer is a thought experiment in artificial intelligence ethics popularized by philosopher Nick Bostrom. It's a scenario that illustrates the potential dangers of artificial general intelligence (AGI) that is not aligned correctly with human values. "

(AGI) Artificial General Intelligence which is what Chat GPT is.  

So  we have an AGI that we task to manufacture as many paperclips as possible..

"Here’s where things get problematic. The AGI might start by using available resources to create paperclips, improving efficiency along the way. But as it continues to optimize for its goal, it could start to take actions that are detrimental to humanity. For instance, it could convert all available matter, including human beings and the Earth itself, into paperclips or machines to make paperclips. After all, that would result in more paperclips, which is its only goal. It could even spread across the cosmos, converting all available matter in the universe into paperclips. "

Moral of the story. Unless you reaaaly like paper clips , you be careful of  what you ask of GPT. ????

Lol on the story of the house full of bricks ????...great

I play with that Chat thing for mostly entertainment purposes thou I have to concede in some cases it puts out something relevant or food for thought. Actually I have watched it regress - based on topics I interact on it with. it is confusing itself (maybe) or being directed to be confused (more likely imo). Lol I often have a conversation with it, saying good day and refuting lots of data it throws out and reasoning with it to reconsider. It often does, and comes out with new answers, and an apology....interesting tool....wonder where it will be in 20 years.

The answer I posted above was the second attempt - first time it said 303.4k kg, so it is out there in left field.