Distraught Young Man Seeks Justice after House Collapses in Mid-night Disaster

webfact

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Cladding on the cheap , just the same shoddy construction as in the Thai house.

At the time of installation of the cladding I understand this didn't contravene the building regulations at the time. A far cry from this Thai house where the fundamental structural construction was severely flawed. 

Yours is a false equivalence 

3 hours ago, BusyB said:

It involved cost cutting, incompetence and a lack of regulation and consequences which continue to this day - there are many other Grenfells waiting to happen and no action being taken. My point is that it ain't only LOS.

There was plenty of regulation and building inspectors would have been involved during the construction. Not something done in Thailand.As I understand it the cladding didn't contravene regulations at the time. The instances are far apart in equivalence in that respect. Rarely would you find a house collapsing in UK from a thunderstorm!

13 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This is what happens when there are no standards in place re construction... inspections are bought... materials are substandard... labor is unskilled.

And probably no Surveyor to observe such failings, prior to purchase - a prerequisite to obtain any kind of official loan - at least in UK

25 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

At the time of installation of the cladding I understand this didn't contravene the building regulations at the time. A far cry from this Thai house where the fundamental structural construction was severely flawed. 

Yours is a false equivalence 

Hard to say as the UK Government has yet to decide . Typical delay tactics 

From what I have read the material used on the cladding  did not meet requirements.

Really, unless you oversee the building of your own house in Thailand, or buy from a well known reputable construction company , you might have huge problems. We all have family somewhere in the west , Germany, Uk,France , wherever. Is it common in those countries to see homes collapsing?. Or new buildings looking ancient after 3 years etc etc. I rent in Thailand ,and have rented many a condo  over 30+ years. Bar 2, both older buildings , the others have been shoddy , from the front of the building paint, to the doors which even I could kick in ! One new condo I was in 3 years ago, all the shelves fell off the walls . They came to repair, and hammered huge nails into the wood under the shelves ! Really pretty, not.  Catastrophic plumbing a huge problem. Small windows wouldn’t open, sliding doors didn’t slide, the niveau wasn’t right. Needless to say I moved out after 6 weeks. Always thanked my lucky stars I’d never bought. My family have all lived in their own homes for years , and so do my nieces and nephews , never heard a complaint.I live in a beautiful condo in France built 1975 , and apart from embellishments and modernization, I’ve never had work done on it. Still looks great from outside. Good quality and maintenance is what Thailand doesn’t have. 

15 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Same sort of thing happened to my mate a while ago. The house balcony had a solid edge around it about 8 inches deep. There were 3 one inch drains fitted. During a monsoon rain the drains were plugged with leaves and the balcony filled with water resulting in it collapsing in to the lounge..

You can buy protectors that keep leaves from clogging such things

Another possibility is the foundations. If landfill was brought in to build the ground up which is often the case then there is the possibility the wall could have moved and collapsed due to subsidence movement. If landfill is not properly set and compacted there is plenty of potential for this to happen. 
In a house I rented in Chiang Mai the ground around the house opened up in a number of places directly below the roof drip line during the rainy season. It had been backfilled on what was previously a rice field, probably with a whole lot of crap material and then not properly compacted. 
Just a heads up for anyone planning to build. 

17 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It's MORE expensive when you have to build it 2 or even 3 or more times to make it last as long...

Yep. It's only worth the land it's built on.

Actually, the only way to f%7k up the price of land here is to start building on it.. ????

On 7/4/2023 at 9:25 AM, stratocaster said:

Same sort of thing happened to my mate a while ago. The house balcony had a solid edge around it about 8 inches deep. There were 3 one inch drains fitted. During a monsoon rain the drains were plugged with leaves and the balcony filled with water resulting in it collapsing in to the lounge..

Not really the same, your mate didn't lean out the leaves before the rain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Just because that's how it works doesn't make it ok... if everyone thought as you do then there would never be advancement in anything... "that's the way we have always done it" syndrome

I didn't say it was Okay...

I said that's how it works here.

• 2 weeks later...