AC Condenser Cutting Out.

Jumbo1968

The external AC Condenser for my sons bedroom keeps cutting out and the internal unit only blow warm air after 10 minutes the condenser restarts and starts blowing cold air again, I have the temperature set at 24c. We only recently had it serviced, my partner said.it has always does that, she was sleeping in his bedroom when he was sick and noticed it going from cold air to hot air ?

The first thing to check is set the temperature to minimum and see if it still does it, if it doesn't then just set your temperature lower until comfortable and ignore the display.

Most air cons will cut out after a few minutes if there is an error, typically it's low on refrigerant, often a fault condition will be indicated by a flashing light.  You don't say about the restart whether you have turned it off and on to get it restart, if you have then it's a fault and probably the one I described.  If you haven't then it's some other fault and you need a technician.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The first thing to check is set the temperature to minimum and see if it still does it, if it doesn't then just set your temperature lower until comfortable and set the display.

Most air cons will cut out after a few minutes if there is an error, typically it's low on refrigerant, often a fault condition will be indicated by a flashing light.  You don't say about the restart whether you have turned it off and on to get it restart, if you have then it's a fault and probably the one I described.  If you haven't then it's some other fault and you need a technician.

No we don’t turn it off to restart the condenser, it restarts itself, at 24c the room feels more cold than our bedroom which is also set at 24c I would find that uncomfortable if I was sleeping in his room.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No we don’t turn it off to restart the condenser, it restarts itself, at 24c the room feels more cold than our bedroom which is also set at 24c I would find that uncomfortable if I was sleeping in his room.

It sounds like it's perfectly alright, try the test I suggested.

I think you have a fixed speed type air con, I don't recommend them in bedrooms because of what you describe and also they only maintain the room within about 2C, inverter air con are far better suited to bedrooms as they don't click on and off and keep the room within about 1C

I would: first check the settings....put it on minimum temperature and check if it than runs constant.

Than open the lid where you can clean the filter...remove it and look when it is working.

Could be that the beginning of the exchanger get very cold and ice on it, and the rest is not very cold. That is when too little refrigerant is in it.

Check outside if the fan is working. I think not likely that if it is gone that it turns on and off because the compressor overheats.....

Just my ideas maybe other problems

First make sure it is not a remote control setting - most have economy type settings that allow more temp change from on/off/on.  Also why set for 24c if that is too cold?  Do you mean to counteract the long delay for restart?  Take out filters (like cleaning) and check the temp sensor (it may have been pushed against the coils during cleaning).  

On 7/4/2023 at 11:54 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

the condenser restarts and starts blowing cold air again

The "condenser" is your outdoor section.

The "fan coil unit" is your indoor section.

The above conditions sound like it is low on refrigerant, or the compressor is shagged.

As they are a "sealed system", any leak would need to be located and repaired if possible, then recharged.

Possibly time to get a new system fitted as repairs these days are hardly worth the effort.

A call to one of the AC guys should get you a more accurate diagnosis.

They can fit guages and do an accurate test.

Too many " would be experts" in here, just confuses the issue.

29 minutes ago, bluejets said:

The "condenser" is your outdoor section.

The "fan coil unit" is your indoor section.

The above conditions sound like it is low on refrigerant, or the compressor is shagged.

As they are a "sealed system", any leak would need to be located and repaired if possible, then recharged.

Possibly time to get a new system fitted as repairs these days are hardly worth the effort.

A call to one of the AC guys should get you a more accurate diagnosis.

They can fit guages and do an accurate test.

Too many " would be experts" in here, just confuses the issue.

The system was fully serviced a few days ago, the problem has always existed and the units are newish. 

On 7/6/2023 at 10:05 AM, lopburi3 said:

First make sure it is not a remote control setting - most have economy type settings that allow more temp change from on/off/on.  Also why set for 24c if that is too cold?  Do you mean to counteract the long delay for restart?  Take out filters (like cleaning) and check the temp sensor (it may have been pushed against the coils during cleaning).  

Thanks I will have a look inside the unit and the remote.