Why do tourists go to the same 5 or 6 places

bignok

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Yeah, but the world changed.

Before I went to Pai last week, I could blow up the Google map and identify every bar and restaurant. I could then usually go to Youtube and see the restaurant in action.

By the time I actually set foot in Cheese Madness for a grilled cheese sandwich, I felt like I already had had it.

Why we are going to Phrae and Nan. None of those hippies and fake yoga retreats.

In the 80's I did trips through Indonesia Thailand and Myanmar. Lots of out of the way places. Now I don't believe I'll find something interesting to me in such places though the outlook might be nice. Prefer to go to Koh Chang with lovely mountains and nice beaches and relax in nice hotels with my girlfriend. Sylvan has an excellent breakfast buffet. 

Can you somehow resist peeking into Phrae on Youtube? I couldn't. Then I was bummed there weren't even MORE Phrae videos. That will shape your preconceptions and ultimately your visit.

Loved Phrae for 2 days btw. A beautiful collection of the old teak houses, partic in the Tai Leu style (known for elaborate railings and stairways).

As to fake yoga retreats, you must be a real swami to be able to glean true yoga from fake yoga.

Been to Phrae once, been to Pai 5 times. A holiday is for fun (and grilled cheese), not an endurance test to save money and bask and in authenticity.

And if I'm a guy who knows Tai Leu railing when he sees it, my authenticity cred is as fat as it needs to be.

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Can you somehow resist peeking into Phrae on Youtube? I couldn't. Then I was bummed there weren't even MORE Phrae videos. That will shape your preconceptions and ultimately your visit.

Loved Phrae for 2 days btw. A beautiful collection of the old teak houses, partic in the Tai Leu style (known for elaborate railings and stairways).

As to fake yoga retreats, you must be a real swami to be able to glean true yoga from fake yoga.

Been to Phrae once, been to Pai 5 times. A holiday is for fun (and grilled cheese), not an endurance test to save money and bask and in authenticity.

And if I'm a guy who knows Tai Leu railing when he sees it, my authenticity cred is as fat as it needs to be.

The good looking one GLO loves temples. I'm cool with that.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

The good looking one GLO loves temples. I'm cool with that.

The wat on Pai's walking street is a Shan masterpiece -as grand as anything in Mae Hong Son.

And right outside, a killer falafel stand. Talk about a win/win.

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

The wat on Pai's walking street is a Shan masterpiece -as grand as anything in Mae Hong Son.

a sad sad day for the grilled cheese vendors.......  *grows angry--sharpens grilled cheese knife*

• Like 1

-Really, a falafel up there with Jerusalem and Greenwich Village.

But she's not out there every day, so if I had just had a grilled cheese sandwich and I saw her, I'd prob have one and skip the next meal.

Authentic Northern Cuisine at the Nong Nootch Beer Bar would be a can I'd just kick down the road.

32 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

-Really, a falafel up there with Jerusalem and Greenwich Village.

But she's not out there every day, so if I had just had a grilled cheese sandwich and I saw her, I'd prob have one and skip the next meal.

Authentic Northern Cuisine at the Nong Nootch Beer Bar would be a can I'd just kick down the road.

Nothing to compare to, as a 1st time, but Mr Shawarma @ MBK, ground floor had some damn tasty falafel.

About the only thing worth going into MBK for if staying @ ibis across the street ????

Mr S

18 minutes ago, wombat said:

Humans are creatures of habit and that's what they do

Familiarity is nice also.  Phuket, CM, Krung Thep, worthy of more than 1 visit.  Familiar and in comfort zone, while exploring the rest of the area.  

Something like Patts though, unless going much further, it's same same, not different, and you only go there for 1 thing, unless a local, and for them, a quick, close escape from the Big Mango.

We used to pop into Krung Thep and or Hua Hin on the way to Phuket twice a year.  Explore a bit each time, till nothing left to explore, and same after so many visits to Phuket, aside from tourist #s increasing steadily on Phuket.

The reason we started exploring, and really liking what was in between Hua Hin & Phuket.

Giving Phuket a 10 yr break, until Covid, then actually visited during 'high season' a few times.  Pure Bliss.

But now, they're back, and higher #s than when we stopped going 13ish years ago ????

Not sure if & when we'll return to Phuket, or even our regular southern loop, as also explored out.

So ... Look North young man ... ????

As an Intern'l tourist, not seeing the repeated visits that some do, unless they get out a lot more to other countries through out the year. 

Definitely a better pay grade / holiday budget than me.  Aside for distance and having to put up with plane travel, if from USA, or even from here now.  I'm planed out, I just can't do it ????

Edited by KhunLA

Because tourists are not usually familiar with the places they are going to.  So they go to the popular places that other tourists go to.  
And if people go somewhere on vacation.  They want to go to a place that offers something to do.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Because tourists are not usually familiar with the places they are going to.  So they go to the popular places that other tourists go to.  
And if people go somewhere on vacation.  They want to go to a place that offers something to do.  

Something to do any city.

• Confused 2

People say they want to get away.  But in reality, most want a place with some modern infrastructure and amenities.

Some of these places mentioned (Nan) are so rudimentary and years ago culture the only interesting claim is a temple.  I have been to Nan almost went insane after 2 days.

Udon Thai is not terrible there is some okay nightlife and a few things to do.

Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin are actually interesting I think but not many people consider them for holidays.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People say they want to get away.  But in reality, most want a place with some modern infrastructure and amenities.

Some of these places mentioned (Nan) are so rudimentary and years ago culture the only interesting claim is a temple.  I have been to Nan almost went insane after 2 days.

Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin are actually interesting I think but not many people consider them for holidays.

How can you go to Nan and not enjoy the beautiful scenery that is still mostly untouched? Nightlife? Missed the point...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Hua Hin is full of tourists

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I go for R&R and landscape, view, a snapshot, sunrise/set at different location.  Hopefully a snap of a new bird species.  A market if interesting location, or I'm actually shopping/rare.

That's about it of late.  Wats & history ... done, not longer of interest.

Nan will be quite nice for a few days.  Same with the rest of the N that I haven't seen yet.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing to compare to, as a 1st time, but Mr Shawarma @ MBK, ground floor had some damn tasty falafel.

About the only thing worth going into MBK for if staying @ ibis across the street ????

Mr S

Yessss. 

And HUMMUS, near Tapie Gate, Chiang Mai.

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

Go all over Thailand on motorbikes, but still nice to drop in a few days in Hua Hin, Ao Nang, Phuket, Khao Lak, Koh Phangan, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Pai And Pattaya just to mentioning a few places. But every place you mentioned, is quite popular Thai destinations. 

Restaurants, Shopping (western food and wine that is stored correct) and decent hotels to decent prices low season. 

I must  laugh at "wine is stored  correct"  . Near all is import and how it trvel nobody  evr see! Really good wine never come because will die on the  way. 

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

How can you go to Nan and not enjoy the beautiful scenery that is still mostly untouched? Nightlife? Missed the point...

We (eight of us plus hired driver of luxury van) went to Nan to check out 'long lost' relatives. Pleasant enough but what Thai's call mountains are really only hills to me. Stayed at a couple of resorts that were adequate but that's about all.  

19 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

We (eight of us plus hired driver of luxury van) went to Nan to check out 'long lost' relatives. Pleasant enough but what Thai's call mountains are really only hills to me. Stayed at a couple of resorts that were adequate but that's about all.  

Having grown up near the Alps I also wouldn't call those mountains but it doesn't change the fact that it's a beautiful area. Time of the year also plays a role. And of course riding on motorbikes all over the place including dirt roads is a very different experience to traveling with 8 people in a van and visiting relatives.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Having grown up near the Alps I also wouldn't call those mountains but it doesn't change the fact that it's a beautiful area. Time of the year also plays a role. And of course riding on motorbikes all over the place including dirt roads is a very different experience to traveling with 8 people in a van and visiting relatives.

Agree most definitely! Doing what you do is more adventurous and closer to nature.

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

really. Fang Hot Springs is crap now to what it used to be when I first went there 8 years ago. Most of the streams have dried up. Now it's just a reasonable place to cycle to, stay 5 minutes take a photo or 2 and then cycle home.

Really? It's been about 3 years since our last visit.....We camped out & enjoyed the in park sights, services, and meals....

6 people, 3 tents and not a bad moment among us....

It's disconcerting to hear otherwise....

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Hua Hin is full of tourists

But if you're looking for old teak buildings (near the beach, no less), Hua Hin is very, very well-preserved.

And chill at the valium in the water level. 'Killed a month there waiting out the Chiang Mai smoke. I had modest expectations and they were more than met. If you'd go to Phrae, you should give HH a look.

Not that great a strip of sand, but I'm not a beach person (at all), so I was happy to be on the "wrong" side of the road, next a mall, and go to the gym.

For a monthly rate, I had a small studio unit with a kitchen that averaged out to 1,200 baht a night. A decent place for medical tourism. Reasonable (not great) restaurant selection, prob the least expensive tourist beach you could go to.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RanongCat said:

I must  laugh at "wine is stored  correct"  . Near all is import and how it trvel nobody  evr see! Really good wine never come because will die on the  way. 

You know your dealer I see ????

11 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Really? It's been about 3 years since our last visit.....We camped out & enjoyed the in park sights, services, and meals....

6 people, 3 tents and not a bad moment among us....

It's disconcerting to hear otherwise....

the scenery is still the same, but the hot spring streams that used to run through the area have mostly dried up. Just the geyser and the pools for boiling eggs now. I guess as a local I see it in a different light to a tourist

Because the ladies are easy. A normal thai lady wouldn't touch a older ugly fat farang.  Most farang have to pay money ( house, car,motorcycle,,gold or buying some sort of business) for a relationship and they mistake that financial transaction as love. 

Edited by BTB1977
Spelling
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Because the ladies are easy. A normal thai lady wouldn't touch a older ugly fat farang.  Most farang have to pay money ( house, car,motorcycle,,gold or buying some sort of business) for a relationship and they mistake that financial transaction as love. 

That's a case by case scenario.  I'm buying a house, car, motorcycle & other toys whether in a relationship of not, and had before current wife.  Always had before my relationships, with 1 exception.

If we get along and 'I want to share these', then fine.  If not, there's plenty others that will or I'll stay single, as makes not difference to me.

I don't do P4P, in any aspect of it.  I'll share with a like minded person though.  

Don't know what that has to do with tourist going to the same ol'.  You might want to read the thread topic.

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

You know your potential to find a suitable lady for yourself ????