Wan Noor: The New House speaker with Deep South convictions and a party-hopping past

webfact

image.jpeg

Veteran politician Wan Muhamad Noor Matha was unanimously voted in as Thailand’s new House speaker on Tuesday in an apparent compromise between the eight-party coalition’s two largest parties.

After weeks of locking horns over the speaker’s post, the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties unexpectedly reached a last-minute deal to back the political veteran as chief of the legislature. Parties view the post of speaker, who is responsible for deciding the debate agenda in the House, as crucial to getting their policies passed into law.

Wan Noor is leader of the Prachachat Party, which has vowed to bring peace and economic development to the Deep South, where the Thai state has imposed martial law to quell a decades-long Malay-Muslim separatist movement.

Prachachat Party, the third-largest coalition partner with nine MPs, is dwarfed by coalition leaders Move Forward and Pheu Thai, who won 151 and 141 seats respectively in the May 14 election.

The House of Representatives speaker also doubles as president of the National Assembly (Parliament).

Coalition leader Move Forward settled for the first deputy House speaker’s post after its candidate Padipat Suntiphada beat United Thai Nation Party’s Wittaya Kaewparadai in a vote.

The second deputy speaker’s post, meanwhile, went to Pheu Thai’s Pichet Chuamuangphan, who was the sole candidate.

By Thai PBS World’s Political Desk

#news

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/wan-noor-the-new-house-speaker-with-deep-south-convictions-and-a-party-hopping-past/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I assume that he is not supportive of

peace/self-rule in the restive South

marriage equality, regardless of the total quantity of wives

alcohol/cannabis deregulation

Weird that a 79 YO, from a tiny party with no mandate gets such a powerful position. I guess they couldn't find someone older?

Yes, I now he has experience including House Speaker, and several ministerial posts, but honestly couldn't they find someone younger, whom Nor could advise thereby passing on knowledge to a younger generation? This guy will be 83 when/if he finishes his term. Speaker is a physically demanding position, it seems cruel to abuse an elderly man like this.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Weird that a 79 YO, from a tiny party with no mandate gets such a powerful position. I guess they couldn't find someone older?

Political expediency... Let's not into age either, especially around so called powerful people...

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I assume that he is not supportive of

peace/self-rule in the restive South

marriage equality, regardless of the total quantity of wives

alcohol/cannabis deregulation

Yes, I now he has experience including House Speaker, and several ministerial posts, but honestly couldn't they find someone younger, whom Nor could advise thereby passing on knowledge to a younger generation? This guy will be 83 when/if he finishes his term. Speaker is a physically demanding position, it seems cruel to abuse an elderly man like this.

Perhaps, rather than assuming what he's supportive of, you could actually check it out. And his appointment overcame many weeks of deadlock and political jostling which was in danger of breaking up the whole coalition. They found someone they could all agree on, 8 parties and all. He has a lot of seniority in the political world, and respect. Ideal man for the job if you ask me.

Now they just need to find 60 + extra votes for Pita.

8 hours ago, stoner said:

so out with the old and in with the ...... old ? 

this guy bounces around more than a st lady on soi bukhao. keeping ties to any party only when needed by the looks of it.

and he was banned from politics before due to his association to PT. but he is all good now ? 

good grief......and at 79 he must have a firm grasp on what modern thailand is looking to strive towards. 

he should retire gracefully and let some fresh minds have a go. 

It's quite obvious, per commentary, how many are buying into the repeated rhetoric of what a great guy he might be - all the while appearing to be attached to the same old club. 

Wan Mohammed Noor was interior minister at the time of Thaksin's war on drugs. Even as a southern Malay Muslim himself he failed to speak out about the Tak Bai and Krusae Mosque murders by the Thaksin regime of which he was a part. He's just in it for the money and is a former Thaksin man. 

No good for MFP can come from the appointment of this politician for hire.