Don't bother to help anyone

I pulled a drowning young Thai student out of a under current up at Mae Rim waterfalls many many years ago .......   not so much as a thank you from her or her assembled friends who just looked on ..........    I put it down to shock !   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

My missus gives me a slap on the back, sometimes i get small items stuck in my Epiglottis, like a small hard tomato seed, or similar, and gasping for air, it works for me. 

show your missus the Heimlich maneuver, you might need it one day

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The OP only said he was choking, nothing about "choking to death! 

There is no need to turn it into an episode of Dr Kildare/Emergency Ward 10 etc!

Oh stop being a drama queen and share with us the difference between choking and choking to death Dr scottie? You sit back and observe for 5 minutes or what? ???? 

I don't care what OP said he did the right thing without making assumptions. 

Edited by whereyougo
  • Like 1

It is recommended to give a few slaps on the back first, then do the Heimlich a couple of times, then a few more slaps, and repeat.

Surprising that he didn't realise that you were helping, if he genuinely couldn't breath and you shifted the blockage.  Perhaps he was confused, in shock, embarrassed, etc., or even unaware of what was going on. 

Any chance he could breath and was just coughing but you misinterpreted it?

• Thumbs Up 1

All the First Aid, CPR training I've had over the years, a good slap on the back for choking was never a part of it. 

He should have been happy you didn't try your hand at a tracheostomy

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The OP only said he was choking, nothing about "choking to death! 

There is no need to turn it into an episode of Dr Kildare/Emergency Ward 10 etc!

Choking, much like cancer leads to death if not treated in the early stages so "choking to death" is entirely plausible !!

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yes indeed, proper etiquette must be followed 

If I was choking I know the thing I want the most , is a good conversation concerning the merits of preventative action, But such conversation should start with  a bit of chit chat icebreakers first, adhering to norms of common conversational  courtesy.

Things like, Inquiring about one's  health, commenting on the weather, and  asking if I read any good book lately . 

The last should serve as a catalyst, broadening the conversation into more intellectually stimulating  areas and possible providing an sense  of mutual commonality. 

Moderators, please pin this reply in the appropriate subforum, If one does not exist I suggest one is promptly created.  , I know  many can profit from it's wisdom. 

When choking, I prefer to get to know the back patterer over a cold beer or two before he slaps me.

17 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

After today I have stopped helping anyone that needs help.

I was in a Pattaya restaurant this morning having breakfast when a old english fool started choking in the next table .

I was shocked into action without thinking as his Thai girlfriend started screaming.

I immediately went to the old fool and slappef  his back when he coughed up the food and then started abusing me .

Calling me the most abuse vile names , all whilst sitting their panting.

I stood there shocked looking at him.

The staff came over ,he said I was talking to that farang pointing at me .

So I was going to abuse him back but just went back to my table and left ,if I didn't leave I could or would of abused him.

Please don't ask for my help in future,if I see anyone in distress I will mind my own business 

It could be the coughing wasn't caused by life threatening choking and his tilac over reacted, and here comes george to the rescue with some unwanted back slaps. Hope you paid the bill before you stormed out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Yes indeed, proper etiquette must be followed 

If I was choking I know the thing I want the most , is a good conversation concerning the merits of preventative action, But such conversation should start with  a bit of chit chat icebreakers first, adhering to norms of common conversational  courtesy.

Things like, Inquiring about one's  health, commenting on the weather, and  asking if I read any good book lately . 

The last should serve as a catalyst, broadening the conversation into more intellectually stimulating  areas and possible providing an sense  of mutual commonality. 

Moderators, please pin this reply in the appropriate subforum, If one does not exist I suggest one is promptly created.  , I know  many can profit from it's wisdom. 

Maybe not a long conversation, but how about saying hey fella I'm going to slap the fork out of you.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Guy is choking to death and they need to negotiate something to proceed? 

If the OP was in the restaurant at the time the victim started choking, death would take more than a few seconds, so there would have been time to ask the victim if they needed help.

I sometimes take something "down the wrong way" and cough a lot, which if someone else saw it might look like choking, but does not require any intervention.

PS if the victim is actually obstructed they can't talk, but they will indicate the problem in some way, usually by pointing at their mouth, or so the training VDO I saw showed. Thankfully I never had to do the maneuver on anyone ( yet ).

IMO everyone should do a first aid course as the person who's life they save may be someone they love.

13 hours ago, Chetzee said:

I pulled a drowning young Thai student out of a under current up at Mae Rim waterfalls many many years ago .......   not so much as a thank you from her or her assembled friends who just looked on ..........    I put it down to shock !   

If that was my Thai sister in law, not only would she have not thanked me, but she'd have said that she didn't ask me to save her!

In some countries one doesn't help anyone because that could lead to one being liable for any injury or death that occurred.

One of the first things I was told on orientation in Saudi was to not help anyone out on the street, as if they died it was my fault and I'd be prosecuted for it. I was also told that if I was in a taxi and it was in an accident to throw some money at the driver and RUN, as it would have been my fault the taxi was there.

Does that sound like a country you know?

Better countries have Good Samaritan laws to protect those that help from prosecution.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Maybe not a long conversation, but how about saying hey fella I'm going to slap the fork out of you.

I would never say such a thing, It's not the kind of guy I am. :tongue:

Come on, admit it,  it was funny,, Not my best work, but worthy of honorable mention. :tongue: To my defence , it was early morning and the meds had not kicked in yet. I am sure you'll be happy to know I am feeling much better now. :smile:.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I would never say such a thing, It's not the kind of guy I am. :tongue:

Come on, admit it,  it was funny,, Not my best work, but worthy of honorable mention. :tongue: To my defence , it was early morning and the meds had not kicked in yet. I am sure you'll be happy to know I am feeling much better now. :smile:.

Not funny, but I'll give you clever. Funny will be a guy truly choking to death next to OP and George telling him to fork off.

46 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not funny, but I'll give you clever. Funny will be a guy truly choking to death next to OP and George telling him to fork off.

Well I guess it matters  who the guy choking is. There a few guys (present company excluded of course ???? . ) that I would find their choking jenuinely amusing.  

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, the Heimlich maneuver is now recommended only as a last resort when someone is choking. Banging the person on the back should be tried before that (though only after encouraging them to cough).

Both the American Red Cross and UK National Health Service (NHS) recommend the following steps in order:

1. Encourage the patient to cough.

2. Give five slaps on the back after bending the patient forward.

3. Abdominal thrusts (aka the Heimlich maneuver) only if the previous methods fail.

Detailed advice from the NHS website below.

What should I do if someone is choking?

Bingo.. 

The Op (potentially) saved someones life and received a verbally abusive response. 

He's now getting an abusive response from some of the muppets on this forum.

Op...  You did the right thing...  I hope you let this one slide and continue to do the right thing in future. 

Y'never know, you could be saving the life of one of the miserable old farts on this thread who find reason to abuse you rather that offer commendation. 

My mother is still with us today because a few years back someone 'helped out' in a very similar situation.

I wouldn't look very kindly up myself or any person who knows how to help but chose not to for fear of receiving a negative response. 

Props to you for helping out. 

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

When choking, I prefer to get to know the back patterer over a cold beer or two before he slaps me.

Well that goes without saying! though now that I think of it I just said it. 

Anyway  regardless, At the very least a first date with  a movie and a good night kiss, before we get into the heavy stuff. :tongue:

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Well that goes without saying! though now that I think of it I just said it. 

Anyway  regardless, At the very least a first date with  a movie and a good night kiss, before we get into the heavy stuff. :tongue:

No second base on the first date ?

• Like 1