How to affordably transfer money bank-to-bank from Thailand to USA

bangkokgalaxy

I have an account at Bangkok Bank. I need to transfer 100k Baht to my US Bank. The problem is that nobody

at Bangkok Bank can tell me the total transfer fees and how much will I actually receive at my US bank once the

transfer is completed.

I completed a 'test' transfer where I sent 3300 Baht from Bangkok Bank mobile app to my US bank (this included

a 300 baht bank fee to BK bank). A few days later, my money arrived at my US Bank which showed "Burger King Deposit"

of $81.92 USD (which means another middle man is taking a fee)

I inquired about this at Bangkok Bank and they can't say what the "burger king" fee was for, or if I transfer a larger

amount if mysterious middle-man fees will take a large percentage of any large transfer (i.e. 100k baht).

Does anyone know 1) how to transfer money with a transparent (and accountable) fee structure?

and, 2) is there a better way to make Thai Bank-to-US Bank transfers where there are no surprise fees?

I can not use a service like Western Union because they only transfer to individuals, not banks.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

I have never heard of such a middle man & have transferred millions of baht out of Thailand using Bangkok Bank. But I never used the mobile app. Instead I go into the bank. I was sending max of 1.5 million per time & charge was roughly $30/1000thb (although this was  couple years ago now)

You may also want to check your receiving bank

Is it a major bank or a credit union etc? Some smaller institutions do not receive directly but go thru another bank & that could also have a fee

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

good information here ... thanks.

could i use dee money to send payment to a private person in the us or asia ?

yes, i use it to transfer to my citibank account

4 hours ago, jcmj said:

I have always used Wise. Everything is transparent and I get good rates. What makes Dee money better ?

What makes Dee money better in this instance is that Wise doesn't transfer to the US from Thailand -- only to Thailand from the US. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/9/2023 at 1:22 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Going thru Bangkok Bank or any bank is the most expensive way to transfer money... not only in the amount of fees but also in exchange rate differential... Deemoney is the best... Western Union next best... Swift least.

Western union has been terrible whenever I've compared rates - are you taking into account the exchange rate also?

• Confused 1