Thailand braces for 150,000 dengue fever cases

webfact

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Although I see plenty of insect spray available in the stores, and I am very, very fond of the stuff myself, I have never seen anyone using it here. Been in places that were infested, and some spray would have been very effective. But, never seen the stuff used.

As far as the little army guys are concerned with Dengue, be afraid. Be very afraid! That is the attitude they pray you adopt.

If you are strict of not having any standing open water in Bangkok, than there are very little mosquitos....together with nets on the window we have like every 2 month 1 inside and that is because I don't close the net.

Than on top we use the spray......

As I saw your previous postings on the Covid measures....google Dengue Fever vaccine Philippines...maybe need a other search engine than google.

Big case of an untested vaccine that caused big harm for children years ago...based on similar technology as Astra Zeneka....and it is nowhere in the news.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I advise people tp go online perhaps Lazada or Shopee and look for repellent with the highest possible level of DEET. I wouldn't trust that 7-11 stuff. I brought my own from the US, high concentration made for hunters and campers. It's a little smelly, not in a real bad way, but it works very dependably. 

used the US version...I think called "OFF" at the military and it works great....but if there is 1 cm on your skin that is forgotten the mosquitos find it...

And I wouldn't use it every day for many years.....not sure what the chemical makes to the body

1 hour ago, h90 said:

used the US version...I think called "OFF" at the military and it works great....but if there is 1 cm on your skin that is forgotten the mosquitos find it...

And I wouldn't use it every day for many years.....not sure what the chemical makes to the body

Off is the same as Deet  (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) or metofluthrin   Deet is getting  banned in the US due to side effects

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Off is the same as Deet  (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) or metofluthrin   Deet is getting  banned in the US due to side effects

hey a posting on which we agree.....must be the first one....In the jungle I would rather take the DEET (for a very short time) than a 1000 mosquito bites and the diseases. But for sure I would not use it for years every day

6 hours ago, Gold Star said:

I wish.

That was one day. Tossed the dried buggers out.

They seem to like the bathroom , hence thats where I put the trap.

Here is 3 days worth, from today:

IMG_7563.JPG

you're sitting on a gold mine here. a little spice and some soy sauce these will fry up nice for a market treat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ruled out taking the vaccine after I spoke to the doctor when she tested me positive for dengue the first time.

Firstly, it is expensive. Secondly, from my memory of the chat, it requires several jabs over a long period of time. Thirdly, it's not actually that effective; I recall her saying around 60%, and then it fades with time.

In addition, there other nasty mosquito diseases which the vaccine will have no effect on. In Thailand, they are the Zika virus and the Chikungunya virus. My doctor actually thought I had the Zika virus until the test results came back.

7 hours ago, h90 said:

If you are strict of not having any standing open water in Bangkok, than there are very little mosquitos....together with nets on the window we have like every 2 month 1 inside and that is because I don't close the net.

Than on top we use the spray......

As I saw your previous postings on the Covid measures....google Dengue Fever vaccine Philippines...maybe need a other search engine than google.

Big case of an untested vaccine that caused big harm for children years ago...based on similar technology as Astra Zeneka....and it is nowhere in the news.

The news bureaus seem to be run by mega corporations who are afraid to offend big pharma. So, very little in the way of news that upsets the narrative on vaccines.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The news bureaus seem to be run by mega corporations who are afraid to offend big pharma. So, very little in the way of news that upsets the narrative on vaccines.

there is big news now in Austria that there is a huge increase of dead born babies....but no one has a clue what could it be.....not even a theory....

yes follow the money...who makes the biggest advertisements, who are the owner and of course no one want to swim alone against the narrative and get banned from twitter/facebook/youtube.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:40 PM, Gold Star said:

I use these mosquito traps, about 1000 baht, inside the house. Can order it online from a retailer that starts with ‘L’. Special bulb, not an LED, has a fan that sucks them into the trap where they dry out. Extremely effective. 

IMG_7347.jpeg

IMG_7348.jpeg

Does it work in daytime?  

Edited by Yorkshire Tea

44 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I found it.  Does it work in daytime?

Well, I do leave it on all day, but catch far more at night, as it can be seen much more in the dark, throughout the rooms. I think the bulb lasts longer if you don't turn it on and off all the time as well. You get an extra bulb with the unit as well.

The specific wavelength that works cannot come from an LED bulb, so ignore cheaper LED models. You must use this one.

Remember, it attracts mosquitos, so you must put it away from you, otherwise the mossies will be drawn towards the light, then veer over to you for a meal instead.

I have never seen anything so effective on mossies as this unit. I have 3 throughout the house in different locations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

DEET is not banned in the US. Here's the EPA info page about it.

DEET

As it says (in part):

The Agency has not identified any risks of concern to human health, non-target species or the environment.

There have been some warnings about avoiding products with higher concentrations (the EU bans repellents with over 50% DEET) but as far as I can ascertain, no outright bans.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:31 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

With regard to the vaccine, from the CDC: Dengvaxia is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever, children in particular,  or populations in which most people have been previously infected. The value of Dengavaxia vaccine is limited by the fact that it may increase the risk of severe dengue in those who have not previously been infected.

True, however there is now a new dengue vaccine, Qdenga which does not have the same drawbacks as Dengvaxia.

It has been approved for use in the UK, by the EMA in Europe, and several other countries including Thailand.

Qdenga (TAK-003) dengue vaccine

On December 8, 2022, QDENGA became the only dengue vaccine approved in Europe for use regardless of previous dengue exposure and without pre-vaccination testing. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, Don Chance said:

These little tiny mosquitos seem to come out of now where in Bangkok and bite me,maybe flies?  Also on the bus, why they don't spray the bus in the morning? Little tiny mosquitos all day in the buses.

As far as Dengue is concerned, it's not the tiny little ones you have to be worried about. Rather the bigger, black and white striped Aedes Aegypti mosquito.

I believe they can also carry Chikungunya, and Zika

i have had Dengue (one of the four strains), and it wasn't nice. Chikungunya unpleasant, but not as bad as Dengue.

23 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I ruled out taking the vaccine after I spoke to the doctor when she tested me positive for dengue the first time.

Firstly, it is expensive. Secondly, from my memory of the chat, it requires several jabs over a long period of time. Thirdly, it's not actually that effective; I recall her saying around 60%, and then it fades with time.

If you're interested, there is now a second dengue vaccine available, Qdenga.

As mentioned earlier, it doesn't have the same drawbacks as Dengvaxia as regards not having had previous exposure and seems more effective (80% efficacy at 6, 12 and 18 month endpoints according to the clinical trials). I don't know the price here but in Indonesia it is priced at 40 USD per dose. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1