Turning to reading to battle my depression and apparent alcoholism.

bob smith

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

My own cousin was suffering from severe depression for most of his adult life, and it hurt his marriage. He went to a doctor, who prescribed an SSRI. After a couple of weeks, with no other lifestyle changes made, his mood improved dramatically, and he had a normal life from then on. That was many years ago when he started. Proof that sometimes theories work.

Not proof at all. Just 1 person. Likely placebo.

Another online troller, assuming he knows someone from a few posts. I'm guessing that you are what, 18 to 23?This kind of arguing, which I've seen you doing in most if not al of your posts, is like a teenager expressing their angst.

• Like 1

That was one I wrote about. I've known at least 50 people in my life, including three here, and two other family members, who have clinical depression, and heard about many more through friends, and a doctor friend. Placebos did help some, maybe 5 or 6, but the rest responded to regular medications.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Another online troller, assuming he knows someone from a few posts. I'm guessing that you are what, 18 to 23?This kind of arguing, which I've seen you doing in most if not al of your posts, is like a teenager expressing their angst.

No I'm an educated person who reads science.

Depression isn't caused by chemical imbalance as proven.

Sorry for educating you on the topic but I'm only trying to help people with real solutions that I know work and backed by science. 

Hold on.....Firstly I absolutely apologise up front if it wasnt you (genuinely)

I'd swear blind it was you claiming you were completely potless and throwing yourself on the mercy of the Heathrow welfare team should you manage to board a flight back to the UK

I'd had mentioned that Sky news had run a story on it a few days earlier (from the original post)

Was that all a load of bollacks then ??

(Edited in....yes it was you)

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

That was one I wrote about. I've known at least 50 people in my life, including three here, and two other family members, who have clinical depression, and heard about many more through friends, and a doctor friend. Placebos did help some, maybe 5 or 6, but the rest responded to regular medications.

Drugs should be the last resort.

Just now, bignok said:

No I'm an educated person who reads science.

Depression isn't caused by chemical imbalance as proven.

Sorry for educating you on the topic but I'm only trying to help people with real solutions that I know work and backed by science. 

Well, you're wrong and have little idea what depression is all about. Looking for links to prove your point, which is a guess, isn't working. There are many doctors who believe in one route or another, which shows they are still in the dark on what works and what doesn't. Placebos have worked, and so have medicines. Personal observation has proven this thousands of times, and I'm guessing you don't personally know anyone who's tried either treatment and are just arguing again, for the sake of arguing. By the way, you can't educate someone who's spent the last 30 plus years researching the subject. You can only argue your side because it's your way of thinking which comes from the same sources everyone has, which show arguments for both sides. Science can be right or wrong, depending on who's doing the work. Some people are gullible and believe what some scientists say. I go by what I see working, and then make a conclusion. No one has proven depression isn't caused by chemical imbalance, hence the millions that are still prescribed medications, and the many that are helped by them,. Theories are just that. Until proven or disproved, they're still theories.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Well, you're wrong and have little idea what depression is all about. Looking for links to prove your point, which is a guess, isn't working. There are many doctors who believe in one route or another, which shows they are still in the dark on what works and what doesn't. Placebos have worked, and so have medicines. Personal observation has proven this thousands of times, and I'm guessing you don't personally know anyone who's tried either treatment and are just arguing again, for the sake of arguing. By the way, you can't educate someone who's spent the last 30 plus years researching the subject. You can only argue your side because it's your way of thinking which comes from the same sources everyone has, which show arguments for both sides. Science can be right or wrong, depending on who's doing the work. Some people are gullible and believe what some scientists say. I go by what I see working, and then make a conclusion. No one has proven depression isn't caused by chemical imbalance, hence the millions that are still prescribed medications, and the many that are helped by them,. Theories are just that. Until proven or disproved, they're still theories.

The links I posted proved you wrong. Your unfounded opinions are not science.

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

I've been reading both sides for the last 30 plus years, and it still remains the same. You can find links supporting both side, and you only post these because that's your belief. You are going by what some say and disregarding what others say because it makes sense to you, which doesn't mean it's right because again, they have been proven to work, as placebos, and psychotherapy have. Everyone responds to things differently. Some have been suicidal and medication has helped them. Some have taken meds and become suicidal. Drugs aren't the first choice but one of the choices. All should be used to see what works. If SSRI"s work for someone, and when they're stopped, the depression returns, who's to say they weren't working? I know this by reading 3 books on depression, seeing family and friends suffer from it, and seen meds work for some while others responded by getting them out of a toxic environment and psychotherapy. Theories are still theories, and others make opinions based on what they see work.

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Except it says he's a female, and trollers usually get found out eventually. Some just want or need help.

probably an ugly one at that, yikes.....

i'd smash. 

18 minutes ago, bignok said:

Researchers analyzed every antidepressant study they could get their hands on--including a bunch of unpublished data obtained via the U.S. Freedom of Information Act--and concluded that, for "most" patients, SSRI antidepressants are no better than sugar pills. ___________Only the most severely depressed get much real benefit from the drugs, the study found. .......................... Guess they do work for some. When you argue a point, you have to research the link, and not just post links to rebut someone statements.   Studies, although involving a lot of people, do not involve all of the people who have depression. Placebos do work for almost every ailment, but not all the time.

True story of my own brother who was  one of these manic depressives claiming bi polar and all the rest of it

On two occasions "suddenly" it all disappeared lol in an instant

First time he received a massive cheque from his early retirement from work......as time went on that startled to dwindle and so did his mood lol

Second time our mother died and we were all left frankly a mind boggling amount each

All traces of depression are gone...........

I know that sooner or later he'll exhaust that (it will take some time !) and rest assured the "depression" will return

Edited by Chivas

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Researchers analyzed every antidepressant study they could get their hands on--including a bunch of unpublished data obtained via the U.S. Freedom of Information Act--and concluded that, for "most" patients, SSRI antidepressants are no better than sugar pills. ___________Only the most severely depressed get much real benefit from the drugs, the study found. .......................... Guess they do work for some. When you argue a point, you have to research the link, and not just post links to rebut someone statements.   Studies, although involving a lot of people, do not involve all of the people who have depression. Placebos do work for almost every ailment, but not all the time.

Failed for most.

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

so ive decided to throw myself into literature to try and wake me from my slumber.

this morning ive spent about 15,000 baht on ebooks and their accompanying audiobooks.

im doing this in the hope that these will keep me occupied long enough to keep me away from the bar stool, at least for a few weeks.

i will however be having a whiskey or two of an evening with my books.

i find that the utmost relaxing. 

1 hour ago, marin said:

Guarantee you he did not buy any books at all. He is simply trolling yet again. The guy has done this from his first thread. "I took a girl to Koh Chang and found out she wanted money". ????

This is what he desires.

payattention-pay.gif

Why would you care? 

The guy need some inspiration, so my advise, skip alchohol and negative sites online. You need to reorganize your life, and it starts with structure, dicipline and hard work! It always pays off in the end no matter what you struggle with. 

If you have money, find someone who can mentor you, and give you necessery feedback and inspiration. For Good Mental health you also benefit from a physical healthy body! Nothing comes for free

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Why would you care? 

The guy need some inspiration, so my advise, skip alchohol and negative sites online. You need to reorganize your life, and it starts with structure, dicipline and hard work! It always pays off in the end no matter what you struggle with. 

If you have money, find someone who can mentor you, and give you necessery feedback and inspiration. For Good Mental health you also benefit from a physical healthy body! Nothing comes for free

Easy to do in Thailand if bored. Road trip!  Cheap and fun.

Just now, bignok said:

Easy to do in Thailand if bored. Road trip!  Cheap and fun.

you get bored of road trip to, I know, and I know what Im talking about when it comes to mental health. 

Rock bottom, and building yourself up again, takes more effort than temporary distraction. Well at least some find motivation to ask for help at rock bottom, sad this is not the place with such negative crowd as here. Sad statue really

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

you get bored of road trip to, I know, and I know what Im talking about when it comes to mental health. 

Rock bottom, and building yourself up again, takes more effort than temporary distraction. Well at least some find motivation to ask for help at rock bottom, sad this is not the place with such negative crowd as here. Sad statue really

Exercise

Vit D

Massages

Better than sitting around eating kfc.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Exercise

Vit D

Massages

Better than sitting around eating kfc.

Detox is a good start to, meaning removing triggers such as toxic substances as well negative internet surfing that is waste of energy and time.  

Sleep is the major connection to everything you do, and as said before, go to bed early, force yourself to stay off the phone, internet and you will finely manage to sleep. Might take some time to establish new sleeping routines, but it is well worth it. Have a plan every day you get up, and as said stay off triggers. 

Good for you!   I love to read--mostly fiction.  Here are some of my favorite authors, who can be counted on to deliver great escape fiction, book after book.   Have fun escaping into a book.

Jonathan Kellerman

Michael Connelly

Jo Nesbo

Daniel Silva

John Grisham

Ken Follett

Lee Child

Elizabeth George

Jeffrey Deaver

John Sandford

Martin Cruz Smith

I think reading can help boredom. If I'm on a good book, it brightens my whole outlook for the day because I know I will be onto a good read when I'm ready to relax.

It took my a long time to move to a Kindle, but now that's all I use. I used to cart hard copy books from Australia, but no longer. It's easy and instantaneous to download (paid) books from Amazon. Most popular stuff you can download for free.

I'm not a great TV watcher, but I enjoy the odd series. I check what's hot and download from the pirate bay. Sometimes old stand-byes are good. I've been downloading and watching ER - an episode or two will suck me in during the evening, and then its time for bed.

Sometimes, I'm not in the mood for reading or videos, and give it a rest for a week or two.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, bob smith said:

so ive decided to throw myself into literature to try and wake me from my slumber.

this morning ive spent about 15,000 baht on ebooks and their accompanying audiobooks.

im doing this in the hope that these will keep me occupied long enough to keep me away from the bar stool, at least for a few weeks.

i will however be having a whiskey or two of an evening with my books.

i find that the utmost relaxing. 

hey..never had depression and probably never will.. but i wish ya well and strength to come out on top

Depression needs a thorough assessment of several aspects of your life events, background,upbringing, relationships, drug use and its effects etc etc, done by a professional.

During the interview which can be over 2-3 sessions, you might yourself stumble upon the causitve factor eg you may link it to an earlier bereavement a year or so ago for which you hadn’t grieved and now the anniversary has stirred up guilt feelings etc. Or the Therapist might identify the causitive factor and agree a plan with you to tackle it.

on the other hand it may not be related to life events, but chemical imbalances which can be rectified by antidepressants and or tranquilizers. Has to be monitored closely. Side effects could be an issue but you have to balance that against the benefits you’re getting.

Others have been benefitted from psychotherapy but you have to be suitable for this form of therapy. Incidents of suicide have been documented during this therapy (/ easy to break up the gig saw but difficult to reassemble again, sometimes there’s too much focus on early developments and with an unhappy childhood that can leave a client hopeless upon reflection.

Counselling, dealing with the ‘ here and now’ has been often the most effective and is evidence based.

Group therapy has also been helpful for suitable clients.

Alternative therapy, mindfulness, yoga, meditation has helped many.

Apart from reactive depression, there’s also endogenous depression. Occurring from within, for no unknown reason. Hard to treat and sometimes psychotic features may be present.

In the past Electric Convulsive Treatment has been used successfully, as a life saving measure. It requires informed intervention consent from a relative/ friend/ advocate. Has been used successfully with the Elderly, but can leave short term amnesia.

The new trend has been post traumatic syndrome therapy. First started with the Military, many who saw colleagues killed and ended up with huge guilt feelings. Started heavy alcohol abuse. They found a new form of therapy that treats the basal section of the brain which is affected by trauma unlike the frontal lobe for other types of depression. Some of the therapy if Freudian based and there is the danger of clients remaining a “ victim” for the rest of their life!

There’s a lot of good advice give in this forum, and I have just added an overview of treatments and the importance of early and accurate diagnosis. Even go for a second or third opinion.