Joe Biden says US-UK relationship 'rock solid', despite disagreements over Ukraine

Social Media

image.png

The US president said he "couldn't be meeting with a close friend or greater ally" amid differences in opinion over Ukraine's accession to Nato and the use of cluster bombs.

President Joe Biden has described the US-UK relationship as "rock solid", despite reported disagreements over Ukraine.

Mr Biden told Prime Minister Rishi Sunak he "couldn't be meeting with a closer friend and greater ally" as the pair met this morning in Downing Street.

He joined the prime minister in the Downing Street garden at the start of their talks, after greeting him at the door to Number 10.

The prime minister said it was "great for us to carry on our conversation" following a string of meetings this year, including last month's visit to Washington.

Mr Sunak said the pair would consider "how we strengthen our co-operation, joint economic security to the benefit of our citizens".

STORY

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And let’s be honest, the President has shown nothing but respect for the Monarch, it was not always so

On top of it, he did not dress like a waiter at this occasion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t recognize any deterioration at all in US/UK relationships and I pay close attention to the matter.

The UK is in a weaker position than has been the case in past years but I’m at a loss to see how that’s Biden’s fault.

I would disagree. Trade deals are much easier to make since a particular event that I cannot mention.

The UK and US can, at least after Biden taking office, both be very rightly proud of their support for Ukraine, minor disagreements do not distract from that fact.

And let’s be honest, the President has shown nothing but respect for the Monarch, it was not always so.

Forgetting the Queen died with "God Save the Queen, maaaannnnn" and then slapping the new King on the back is hardly the mark of respect.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/biden-breaks-royal-protocol-touching-king-on-back

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Biden has done nothing for the UK-US relationship. It's not only the Ukraine disagreements, but many other issues that I shall not mention even though it is recent and very relevant to the rock solidness (or not) of the UK-US relationship.

Let's hope the relationship can strengthen quickly once Biden has gone.

If he wants to "strengthen our co-operation, joint economic security to the benefit of our citizens" as mentioned in the OP then he could re-focus on a trade deal between the 2 countries, now that something I will not mention but is a key factor in making a trade deal that could help our joint economic security has been completed.

A huge boost for the UK economy.

Post-Brexit US trade deal: 0.16% economic boost predicted

The government has estimated a post-Brexit trade deal with the United States would boost the UK economy by 0.16% over the next 15 years.

The figure is included in a 180-page document setting out the UK's negotiating position for talks, expected to begin later this month.

The document pledges to maintain maintain food standards and stresses that the NHS is "not on the table".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51706802

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-approach-to-trade-negotiations-with-the-us

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect members amongst the junior  partner are over egging their importance in the relationship.

Biden thought it was important enough to show up. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

Basic principle: not make a deal with a satellite country before the core entity. If the U.S. Strikes a deal with the UK first, it will de facto become the starting point for negotiations with the EU, which will legitimately ask for more.

Satellite country??? ????

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I guess having a sentient (if somewhat obnoxious) human being as POTUS at the time had it's advantages.

I never did understand what "covfefe" meant. Or how a sentient human being could claim that covid was going away by easter, 3 years ago.

Just now, nauseus said:

We'll have to hope that the next US president can remember who his true friends are, because the UK will get no respect from Biden - in fact the opposite has become glaringly obvious.

The previous guy was the laughing stock of most world leaders. Those who weren't in love with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Perhaps you missed the events of Feb 1 2020.

A country with around 40% of its foreign trade with another entity, is de facto economically dependent, whatever the political status.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Biden thought it was important enough to show up. 

He's on his way to Vilnius anyway and wanted to stop and pat the poodle on the back (as we saw). Keeps their chin up. Makes them think they're world leaders.

Edited by BusyB
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1