climbing Mt Everest

stoner

I think it's fine for people to climb this highest of peaks.

However, all climbers should be fitted with LARGE fanny packs, or to use the British word...BUMBAGs, so that each and every time they evacuate their bowels on said sacred mountain, ... they can add the waste extruded from their bums...to their BUMBAGS, and then bring it on home, following their ascent.

Or, they could hire BUMBAG coolies to carry their loads.

Either way, this would make for a much more hygienic climb.

Otherwise, some year in the far distant future, Mt. Everest will be nothing more than a brown pile of coprolites.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

However, all climbers should be fitted with LARGE fanny packs, or to use the British word...BUMBAGs, so that each and every time they evacuate their bowels on said sacred mountain, ... they can add the waste extruded from their bums...to their BUMBAGS, and then bring it on home, following their ascent.

Or, they could hire BUMBAG coolies to carry their loads.

Either way, this would make for a much more hygienic climb.

Otherwise, some year in the far distant future, Mt. Everest will be nothing more than a brown pile of coprolites.  

I worked out the reason for name. Saw a Thai wearing it at the back so on top of bum.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gearbox said:

It is difficult for outsiders to understand the mountaineers and what drives them to go higher and higher, sometimes resulting in death.

do you think that it's still appropriate to step over the dead bodies to achieve that dream ? 

or the impact it is having on the surrounding environment now ? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

same questions 

is it still appropriate to step over dead bodies to achieve your dream ? and what about the impact on the surrounding environment ? 

i look at maya bay as an example. it should be closed for good. it's simply a tourist trap to bring in godly amounts of revenue for corrupt officials.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

same questions 

is it still appropriate to step over dead bodies to achieve your dream ? and what about the impact on the surrounding environment ? 

i look at maya bay as an example. it should be closed for good. it's simply a tourist trap to bring in godly amounts of revenue for corrupt officials.

Same reason people drive too fast or take drugs. Humans get bored with everyday sensible things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

Same reason people drive too fast or take drugs. Humans get bored with everyday sensible things.

do you want to answer the questions or ? give a personal view. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, although you only quoted the first sentence of my comment, I believe that if you pay closer attention to the tenor of my comment as a whole, you will know my thoughts about climbing Everest.

So, to clarify...

a. Stepping on the bodies of those who have climbed Everest and died as a result is no skin off my nose. Those bodies would not have been there if the users of those bodies had been more thoughtful before making the ascent.  They must have known that they would be stepped on, or stepped over, if they petered out along the way.

b. I have read a lot of accounts of climbing Everest, K2, and other high peaks, and I find the psychology of it fascinating. For example, what must it have been like to call your wife, back home in the USA, while dying on Everest above the death zone during a gale?  It must have been quite a conversation.

c. I do not like the fact that there are now traffic jams on Everest, just as you are about to go up the Hillary Step, caused by idiots who rely on Sherpas to carry them up; I mean the non-climbers who have no business being there in the first place, mucking up the climb for the very few who do deserve to be there.

d. As a first step in the right direction, I would like to see a COMPLETE BAN on all oxygen tanks above base camp.  Without oxygen, only the strong and talented climbers would attempt the ascent.

e.  Sherpas should be banned from stringing up ropes and ladders, especially the ladder at Hillary Step should be removed.  If you want to summit, then do it like a man, not a mouse.

f. The rope which is strung up to the ladder needs to be removed, and the anchors should be removed.

g.  All the climbing aids to assist weak climbers of Everest must be removed.  Otherwise, it cheapens the accomplishment of Norgay and Hillary!!!

Just because one has money, one should not be allowed to buy their way to the summit. Do it alone or with a friend.  And do it without oxygen. It's time we separated the men from the little boys.

the proposals you make would result in so much more death up there. ultimately shutting it all down. 

so i say go full on with your suggestions. 

stepping over dead bodies is no skin off your nose. how compassionate of you. a quality of humanity to be proud of. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, although you only quoted the first sentence of my comment, I believe that if you pay closer attention to the tenor of my comment as a whole, you will know my thoughts about climbing Everest.

So, to clarify...

a. Stepping on the bodies of those who have climbed Everest and died as a result is no skin off my nose. Those bodies would not have been there if the users of those bodies had been more thoughtful before making the ascent.  They must have known that they would be stepped on, or stepped over, if they petered out along the way.

b. I have read a lot of accounts of climbing Everest, K2, and other high peaks, and I find the psychology of it fascinating. For example, what must it have been like to call your wife, back home in the USA, while dying on Everest above the death zone during a gale?  It must have been quite a conversation.

c. I do not like the fact that there are now traffic jams on Everest, just as you are about to go up the Hillary Step, caused by idiots who rely on Sherpas to carry them up; I mean the non-climbers who have no business being there in the first place, mucking up the climb for the very few who do deserve to be there.

d. As a first step in the right direction, I would like to see a COMPLETE BAN on all oxygen tanks above base camp.  Without oxygen, only the strong and talented climbers would attempt the ascent.

e.  Sherpas should be banned from stringing up ropes and ladders, especially the ladder at Hillary Step should be removed.  If you want to summit, then do it like a man, not a mouse.

f. The rope which is strung up to the ladder needs to be removed, and the anchors should be removed.

g.  All the climbing aids to assist weak climbers of Everest must be removed.  Otherwise, it cheapens the accomplishment of Norgay and Hillary!!!

Just because one has money, one should not be allowed to buy their way to the summit. Do it alone or with a friend.  And do it without oxygen. It's time we separated the men from the little boys.

Nepal needs the money. They won't do anything you say. It's an industry. Life is about money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

the proposals you make would result in so much more death up there. ultimately shutting it all down. 

so i say go full on with your suggestions. 

stepping over dead bodies is no skin off your nose. how compassionate of you. a quality of humanity to be proud of. 

I knew you would approve of my sentiments concerning further climbing of Everest.

So then, it turns out that we, once again, see eye to eye.

• Sad 1

2006 I have done it.

Price too high,

The stress on your body is too high to even slightly enjoy the trip and when you are back you will realize that you have not much more memories than a face of the guide, some funny moments and lots and lots of struggle.. 

I felt the sherpas are just a human kind of donkeys, friendly but really not close up and also not really happy.

If you climb the Alps is not much of a difference beside you do not need the long acclimatization times and feeling a permanant lack of oxigen... 

• Sad 1