Thailand is facing a deep political crisis as Pita loses key vote and top court takes up complaints

webfact

20 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So, you are trying to diminish the success of MFP by using the total number of eligible voters to show a percentage of only 27.

The fact remains that MFP received 38.1% of the votes of the eligible electorate that exercised their constitutional right to vote.

Your anti-democracy spin on the figures does not cut the mustard; those that did not for some reason vote, cannot be part of the equation, and it remains that MFP still received 32% more votes than any other party. They are the party of the people.

and more people did not want to vote for any party....

so it is not the overwhelming majority of Thai people....it is not even a majority of Thai people.

The won the election and are the strongest party. That is a lot but by itself entitles them to nothing.

Last time Prayut got the most votes did you argue in his favor than? Or only when it is in favor of your team?

I am sure at the end the parliament will produce a premier that has a solid majority of the MPs (without senators) behind him so it will be democratic.

(and I'll apologize if that doesn't happen....I can't imagine that they'll let Prayut to continue)

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Same guy, according to CNA's Bangkok reporter: 

Senator Somchai on attempts to reform the monarchy: “Don’t copy everything from the Westerners that you forget Thainess. We’re all yellow faces that they call us 2nd-class citizens. You’re not a global citizens with long noses, pale skin and great height.”

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1679398206877360134

He's not completely wrong, I keep telling my wife  that the Thais should look at Japan if they wanted  a model...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

no one should be jailed for defamation

I was wondering why only royal defamation and not defamation as a whole. I understand that the highest institution is revered here, and many countries have a lese majeste law, but for a member of parliament to say no one should be jailed for defamation opens up a much larger debate.

The penalty for defamation in general constitutes imprisonment ranging from one year (Section 326) to two years (Section 328). Journalists are particularly prone to custodial sentences if they "defame" anyone with reporting that damages someone's reputation. A Thai court sentenced a reporter to two years behind bars for criminal libel for a Twitter post about exploitative working conditions at a poultry farm. Remember - it is about making the victim look bad.

If only MF had found it interesting that defamation is a criminal offence here, unlike other countries where it is a civil offence.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? 2010. I guess you're quite new here.

Red Shirt Protests 66.jpg

You certainly won't find the keyboard heroes who write such trash on the streets in places like Minsk or Moscow, much less Bangkok that's for sure.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I really feel sorry for my Thai friends and there families.  Many only want a brighter future for Thailand. The continued belief that tourism will save this country and propel it forward is definitely not sustainable. Industry and innovation needs to be pushed to the forefront, but the ideas are always pushed away by the current government......sad

The interesting thing is that the establishment is not taking fright at a leftist party that wants to nationalise everything.  They are scared of a liberal reformist party that wants to eliminate inefficiencies in the capitalist system that makes Thailand uncompetitive and unable to achieve its long run economic growth potential.  They actually want to give Thailand's capitalism a tune up, not get rid of it. That would of course involve decentralisation to remove bloated Bangkok based bureaucracies, tackling monopolistic businesses that often use state concessions to supply inferior goods and services to Thai consumers at inflated prices. 

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

The vote was lost because 199 members abstained and their votes were effectively counted with the losing side, giving them victory.

Its quite easy to win elections when the rules are so slewed.

This is madness. Obviously the majority required should be the majority of those that cast votes. 

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

Same guy, according to CNA's Bangkok reporter: 

Senator Somchai on attempts to reform the monarchy: “Don’t copy everything from the Westerners that you forget Thainess. We’re all yellow faces that they call us 2nd-class citizens. You’re not a global citizens with long noses, pale skin and great height.”

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1679398206877360134

More from the man. I hope that something has been lost in translation;  sadly, I doubt it.

What hope for Thailand while these unelected "guardians" of Thailand pull the strings?

"If there is condition to lead our country to conflict, like amending or abolishing Section 112 and the constitution, we can't allow that to happen," senator Somchai Sawangkarn said in a social media video ahead of the vote. "We will vote to protect people of the whole country because that is better than letting Thailand get a prime minister and coalition government who will be a danger and a threat to the country." (Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation website)

• Like 1