Credit Card in Thailand

16 minutes ago, NextG said:

Reading comprehension issues? They allow foreign credit cards. 

Know what? I was gonna send you the nastiest reply ever, but I just tried adding my credit card and it went through.  I remember trying to add a card numerous times in the past 2 years and it specifically said only domestic cards were allowed on shopee. But now it works, so.....

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You could, but that flags you as a security risk. 

For secondary/additional security screening purchasing airfare with cash falls under the same guidelines as one way and last minute bookings. Done numerous last minute bookings and one way with no problem. But if someone has something to be afraid of then forget it ????

One other possible issue to factor in - AGE I'm over 75 and was told by my bank that the "Finacial Powers That Be" won't allow credit cards for people over 70 (I think maybe 75) so the bank refused (not our fault blame the government!). I get round it by using my partners card.

50 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You're being rediculously pedantic. I've lived in Thailand full time for 17 years, so I'm a resident.

You are a resident of Thailand only in your dreams. In any case it seems like you enjoy complicating your life with a Thai issued credit card instead of going with Wise while getting great exchange rates.

Up 2 u

Edited by Celsius
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It seems you're out of touch with banking. What you get from K-Bank and most other banks is a VISA debit card or Mastercard debit card, which for all intents and purposes is the same as a credit card, but you can only spend your own money. I've been using mine for 14 years and have never had any problems. When you make payments these days, most companies ask for a debit or credit card.

No car rental in Europe with a debit card, never mind whether Master or Visa.

Dunno about buying a plane ticket online with a Thai Visa or Master Debit.

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

Nope, the fixed deposit held by the bank as collateral is completely seperate from the credit card.

The secured deposit for the credit card is the credit limit for the card.

The credit card then functions exactly as any other unsecured credit card. It is not a debit card.

Why would the OP not use his own money on à debit card to purchase a 3000 dollar air ticket or just contact his bank to get his foreign credit card released from the block.

In any event it would take a few weeks to get approved for a Thai credit card.

So it would be possible to get a secured credit card in Thailand? I mean a fully-fledged credit card that allow pre-authorisations for car rental and the like?

Why don't banks issue credit cards with minimal limit (say 1000 Baht) but with the facility to preload the card. The money you transfer on the card then becomes your credit. Problem solved, and the customer gets a real credit (ie not debit) card.

13 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You are a resident of Thailand only in your dreams. In any it seems like you enjoy complicating your life with a Thai issued credit card instead of going with Wise while getting great exchange rates.

Up 2 u

Why would I want a Wise card when I have actual Thai credit cards ?

FWIW am in yr 18 of my visit to Thailand.

6 hours ago, bignok said:

Contact your uk bank, tell them you overseas and want to use it. Problem solved. Call them up now.

It's a pain in the neck when each time a UK credit card is used overseas the Bank applies the block due to 'un-habitual use'...   My Bank also has an App which I use to 'approve' online purchases, that prevents one block... but direct use overseas is often blocked.

It can be quite irritating when checking into an overseas hotel late at night, then having to call up the the UK Bank while data roaming and having an expensive 10 minute conversation for the privilege of using your on money (debit card) or own account (credit card).

As Per the Op a local credit card is extremely convenient. 

Solution IF married (and not working in Thailand) - the Partner can have a Credit Card with a second card issued to the foreign spouse. 

This works perfectly for us (Wife and I) and we accrue points etc and can use the card overseas without it getting blocked as frequently as the UK cards. 

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's a pain in the neck when each time a UK credit card is used overseas the Bank applies the block due to 'un-habitual use'...   My Bank also has an App which I use to 'approve' online purchases, that prevents one block... but direct use overseas is often blocked.

It can be quite irritating when checking into an overseas hotel late at night, then having to call up the the UK Bank while data roaming and having an expensive 10 minute conversation for the privilege of using your on money (debit card) or own account (credit card).

As Per the Op a local credit card is extremely convenient. 

Solution IF married (and not working in Thailand) - the Partner can have a Credit Card with a second card issued to the foreign spouse. 

This works perfectly for us (Wife and I) and we accrue points etc and can use the card overseas without it getting blocked as frequently as the UK cards. 

Yes I have apps to block or unblock. 

44 minutes ago, JackGats said:

So it would be possible to get a secured credit card in Thailand? I mean a fully-fledged credit card that allow pre-authorisations for car rental and the like?

Why don't banks issue credit cards with minimal limit (say 1000 Baht) but with the facility to preload the card. The money you transfer on the card then becomes your credit. Problem solved, and the customer gets a real credit (ie not debit) card.

Same as a debit card if you preload. I do think small unbacked limits would make sense though say 5,000 baht.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Same as a debit card if you preload. I do think small unbacked limits would make sense though say 5,000 baht.

Its a strange one... but some Debit card transactions are blocked while the same credit card transaction works...

I've encountered this with Airlines. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a strange one... but some Debit card transactions are blocked while the same credit card transaction works...

I've encountered this with Airlines. 

They have travel cards preloaded. I think maybe the rates are not so good. 

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Not quite the same. A pre-loadable credit card (with vanishingly small limit) is a credit card, with 5 000 USD credit if you load 5 000 USD on it. It can be used for car renting (deposit blocked by the renting company) and will not get rejected by hotels that also want to block a deposit. Such a credit card has only advantages compared to a debit card. If fraud occurs with a debit card the whole account is exposed.

Edited by JackGats

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Not quite the same. A pre-loadable credit card (with vanishingly small limit) is a credit card, with 5 000 USD credit if you load 5 000 USD on it. It can be used for car renting (deposit blocked by the renting company) and will not get rejected by hotels that also want to block a deposit. Such a credit card has only advantages compared to a debit card. If fraud occurs with a debit card the whole account is exposed.

I had 2 cards hacked. Lost nothing. The account is separate from the card number. Banks were on to it right away.

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

This has been repeated so many times and it is simply not correct. First of all the below LOL statement

What resident? Can Thailand pls show me my PR or citizenship card where I can claim such privilege? Or are people claiming that just because I spent more than 6 months in a country I am considered a resident? Not in Thailand.

To get a card with Wise, you simply get verified with whatever passport you have. I did with my Canadian passport then put my mom's address. If your parents are dead or your friends and family back home hate you, just put any address, like a hotel. After you are done with all the formalities you can apply for a card and put whatever address you want. I had my Wise card delivered to my Bangkok condo - free of charge.

For those with an existing Wise account please explain how to get past this page in order to apply for the card...

Screenshot (46).png

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

You are a resident of Thailand only in your dreams. In any case it seems like you enjoy complicating your life with a Thai issued credit card instead of going with Wise while getting great exchange rates.

Up 2 u

Let me clear up your ignorance.

1. Let's start with a dictionary definition of "resident":

Resident: a person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis. That is quite self-explanatory. I haven't lived anywhere else for 17 years.

2. There is no complications with my Thai issued Visa debit card. If you paid attention, you would know I don't have a Thai issued credit card, nor do I want one.

3. Wise gives me Thai bank exchange rates and instant transfers. No Wise card is necessary.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

8 hours ago, JackGats said:

No car rental in Europe with a debit card, never mind whether Master or Visa.

Dunno about buying a plane ticket online with a Thai Visa or Master Debit.

There's no problems buying plane tickets online with a debit card. Why would there be? I've never had a problem buying anything online.

I won't be renting cars, so that won't be a problem. The last time I rented a car was the last time I drove a car, over 10 years ago, so it's not a big thing on my shopping list. If I really do want to rent a car, I have a Citibank Visa credit card for that purpose (not issued in Thailand).

Edited by JensenZ

19 hours ago, NextG said:

Ridiculous ????

That’s only if you choose a card with that criteria. 
Better to choose a card that passes on the full VISA/

Mastercard exchange rate without deductions. I don’t know any cards that charge fees for purchases. Do you?

If I use my Nationwide UK credit or debit card or Barclaycard for a purchsae over here, I get a Foreign Surcharge on my next statement.

You do not need a Wise CARD to do transfers.

Edited by KannikaP

22 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It seems you're out of touch with banking. What you get from K-Bank and most other banks is a VISA debit card or Mastercard debit card, which for all intents and purposes is the same as a credit card, but you can only spend your own money. I've been using mine for 14 years and have never had any problems. When you make payments these days, most companies ask for a debit or credit card.

The drawback with using a debit card like a credit card is that there is no protection for "your" money.

If someone gets your details, they can clean you out.

Maybe this is why banks such as SCB are introducing a Face ID security layer on larger transfers, but not sure it will work on debit cards.

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

The drawback with using a debit card like a credit card is that there is no protection for "your" money.

If someone gets your details, they can clean you out.

Maybe this is why banks such as SCB are introducing a Face ID security layer on larger transfers, but not sure it will work on debit cards.

If this concerns you, there are easy steps to protect your money. You open 2 accounts. One with a debit card and a small balance. Another safety step is you can limit daily spending. That can be done online and changed at any time.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, Robin said:

I have just been messed about trying to book a trip to Singapore online using my UK Mastercard, which was 'security blocked' as use in Thailand was 'unexpected.

On the rare occasion my card is blocked (usually my UK HSBC ATM card) I have contacted them and sorted it out. What has annoyed me is that three years in a row, and at the same time of year, I wanted to use my ATM card in Dubai and it was blocked and I had to contact them. They clearly can't be bothered to check historical use. Just blocking and inconveniencing people is so much easier. For them, anyway.