Online trends - do you know what is happening online? Do you care?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A programmed computer can only do what it is programmed to do, and can't become independent.

You obviously don't work with computers.

You would be surprised how many computers don't do what they are supposed to do. ???? 

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But then, how many parties with celebrities did you attend? 

I never was at such a party. I have no idea if it's fun.

Lots…. 

The fun is in not paying for anything and getting autographs for your friends and getting them pictured with said celebrities if they like. Personally, I don’t get that excited about it. They are just normal people to me and I treat them as such. I respect normal people too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, NextG said:

Lots…. 

The fun is in not paying for anything and getting autographs for your friends and getting them pictured with said celebrities if they like. Personally, I don’t get that excited about it. They are just normal people to me and I treat them as such. I respect normal people too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Wow, an autograph of Taylor Swift (or whatever). How exiting. 

Jesus, how old are you? 14?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wow, an autograph of Taylor Swift (or whatever). How exiting. 

Jesus, how old are you? 14?

Grow up, you child.  I stated “autographs for friends”.  Your envy is showing. So “exited” you were to reply ????
Personally I’m not interested at all. But if a friend asked or was interested, I was happy to oblige. Nothing against Taylor Swift, but she looks like the girl next door. Nothing wrong with that. But old men calling her a ‘9’ or ‘10’?? That’s what is meant by Beauty being in the eye of the beholder. In fact I knew a girl who looked just like her, height included. She had this thing about wanting to lick my eyeballs. No joke. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, save the frogs said:

if your kids hate you, can you blame anyone but yourself?

or do you want to blame "society" for that too? 

You're making it up now. Where did I mention "society"?

I said that because a lot of kids hate their parents, or at least dislike them.

It's said we take after our parents and mine were rotten, so I'd probably have been as bad as they were.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I said that because a lot of kids hate their parents, or at least dislike them.

a lot of kids dont understand anything about life.

i know a guy who worked his butt off to provide a good life for his family and his teenage daughter is lippy. they're too young to appreciate it because they've haven't worked hard for 20 years. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

a lot of kids dont understand anything about life.

i know a guy who worked his butt off to provide a good life for his family and his teenage daughter is lippy. they're too young to appreciate it because they've haven't worked hard for 20 years. 

Yes, that certainly happens often enough.

But it seems many parents make the mistake that they think making lots of money and buying this and that for their children is more important than spending time with them. And when the parents have no time for the kids then they look for their own role models - with consequences. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But it seems many parents make the mistake that they think making lots of money and buying this and that for their children is more important than spending time with them. And when the parents have no time for the kids then they look for their own role models - with consequences. 

As far as I can see, most parents spend as much more time with their kids than they have in at least in the last 50 years. The difference may be that the kids used to spend a lot more time helping their parents, and now the time is spent with parents playing with their kids. 

Familiarity breeds contempt. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

As far as I can see, most parents spend as much more time with their kids than they have in at least in the last 50 years. The difference may be that the kids used to spend a lot more time helping their parents, and now the time is spent with parents playing with their kids. 

Familiarity breeds contempt. 

Really?

When I was young my father worked, and my mother took care of the house and the kids. When I returned from school sometime between about 12:00 to 14:00 my mother had lunch ready for my sister and me. Then we did our homework. And then we had time to see our friends or maybe help at home. Basically, my mother was always there.

Now it seems often both parents go to work, and then there is still the work at home. Lots of kids come home to an empty home. Or they spend all afternoon also in school.

Obviously some parents have time for their kids, but in average I guess it's a lot less than a generation or two earlier. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

When I was young my father worked, and my mother took care of the house and the kids. When I returned from school sometime between about 12:00 to 14:00 my mother had lunch ready for my sister and me. Then we did our homework. And then we had time to see our friends or maybe help at home. Basically, my mother was always there.

Now it seems often both parents go to work, and then there is still the work at home. Lots of kids come home to an empty home. Or they spend all afternoon also in school.

Obviously some parents have time for their kids, but in average I guess it's a lot less than a generation or two earlier. 

How long ago was that? 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

The ‘good old days’; when a single income could run a household ????

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

The ‘good old days’; when a single income could run a household ????

And before the myths that a single income could not, and that being "only" a mother was not fulfilling for women. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And before the myths that a single income could not, and that being "only" a mother was not fulfilling for women. 

Now so many with unrealistic expectations, eschewing good health and happiness; replacing it with covetousness and greed. 

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Now so many with unrealistic expectations, eschewing good health and happiness; replacing it with covetousness and greed. 

You think that people today are greedier than in the past? 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What unrealistic expectations? Examples, please. 

Usual stuff. Keeping up with the Joneses. No need to go into detail, I’m sure that you understand and I have to go out ????

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Usual stuff. Keeping up with the Joneses. No need to go into detail, I’m sure that you understand and I have to go out ????

"Keeping up with the Joneses" is well over a hundred years old, yet you site it as something new, typical.

Never any reason for anyone blowing smoke to go into any detail. 

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, good point. 

There are some benefits to being a father in later years, which I might possibly do. 

Since you don't need to work as much (or at all), you can devote a lot of time to being with the child. Which is what they need the most. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Yes, good point. 

There are some benefits to being a father in later years, which I might possibly do. 

Since you don't need to work as much (or at all), you can devote a lot of time to being with the child. Which is what they need the most. 

Children need direction and structure, not someone to play with. 

• Haha 1

I don't really care about social media. I've come to the conclusion that debates on these platforms are all about reacting and not thinking. This leads to nothing constructive most of the time. Trends on social media are merely the result of constant nudging. Different groups of influence using people's narcissism and need to exist to push a given agenda for them. Most people just repeat what they've heard somewhere else, usually acting like they've understood something that you haven't (when really they have no deep understanding whatsoever of what they're talking about). Sad really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacques Clouseau said:

Most people just repeat what they've heard somewhere else, usually acting like they've understood something that you haven't (when really they have no deep understanding whatsoever of what they're talking about). Sad really.

We also see this in this forum if there is i.e. a short story about a motorcycle accident. Too many people just know what happened. Too fast, too much alcohol, no license, etc. And they all "know" this without any evidence or even hint in the article. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

"Keeping up with the Joneses" is well over a hundred years old, yet you site it as something new, typical.

Never any reason for anyone blowing smoke to go into any detail. 

Were you hoping for an argument? ???? Diddums….

Edited by NextG