Online trends - do you know what is happening online? Do you care?

Anybody who reads this forum is online. But some of us are a lot more online than others.

I.e. I don't have Facebook, I seldom look at Twitter. But I watch a lot of YouTube videos, sometimes to learn something, sometimes for entertainment.

I also look some parts of "shows" like Triggernometry, Lex Fridman, Joe Rogan, Bill Maher and others.

Sometimes people talk about online trends, and how the world is so different from years ago because of this and that online.

Interesting. But I have to admit I never noticed. Maybe because I am in Thailand and not "the west", or maybe because I mostly don't know what happens on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

How about you? Do you know about all those things which go viral? Do you care? Does it enhance your life?

Or are you mostly ignorant about trends and live a happy and, some people would say, ignorant life?

Samples are online inspired "new" behavior of men and women. All those gender issues. The "climate catastrophe". Hollywood trends. Cancelled people. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Anybody who reads this forum is online. But some of us are a lot more online than others.

I.e. I don't have Facebook, I seldom look at Twitter. But I watch a lot of YouTube videos, sometimes to learn something, sometimes for entertainment (...)

I never cared much about Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. I used to follow forums on Facebook, but found FB more and more boring, not to mention all those angry posts of people who think they have a monopoly on 'truth'...

Nowadays I mostly stick to news websites, this forum, other Thailand-related websites, etc., as well as to YouTube where I watch mostly history documentaries, talk shows, and old TV series. Sometimes I download TV shows via torrenting (recently "The Mandalorian", "TWD Dead City", and "Friends").

I rarely buy things online these days, unlike at the height of the pandemic when I often bought stuff, and I find online dating to be more and more meaningless and a waste of time.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

I use facebook alot, feeds from any group you like or organisation, up to you, much more diverse than just watching news sites or apps. Good Thailand groups worth following.

facebook friends feature is a red herring really, you don't need to use it, it's not essential

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

All nonsense. Climate same as 20 years ago. Men, women, trannies. Same. Beer is beer. Rice is rice.

Humans are just weak and shallow more often now. No substance.

Actually, some of those rainbow activities also happen in the real world. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is something I started before Covid, at that time mostly electronics from China. Later I also bought more and more on Lazada.

Now for many small and relative cheap items, I buy online. It saves me the travel through town, and it is not necessary anymore to talk to sales people who know less about their products then I know.

I would really miss online shopping if I couldn't use it anymore. 

Years ago, I was almost the only guy in our condominium building who received parcels. When the reception received a box there was a high chance that it was for me.

Now there are daily probably hundreds of boxes for (it seems) everybody in the building.

I'm in the same boat.A friend told me about Lazada a few years ago.I used to look for household items at Big C, Lotus etc the big box stores wasting time.

Mostly the staff were useless for assistance or would pressure for a sale. I now use Lazada/Shopee for all that stuff. I find it's not necessary to travel to these places anymore. It pays to compare though. 

That being said I find the shipping fees are creeping up probably the same as everywhere else.

• Like 1

I've used the 'net and online resources since '96.  I only use Farcebook via a 3rd part a/c to read Chiang Mai News which is superior to any other source for reliable commentary.  Twatter and similar platforms are of no interest.

The problem these days is sorting wheat from chaff out of mainstream News reports.  Forums are good for disseminating 'reports' and identifying misinformation of which there is far too much flying around the 'net.

AI/Chatgpt isn't helping matters and one doesn't have to look beyond local daily news to find the discrepancies/untruths expounded by click thru sites of which there are now too many worldwide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I never cared much about Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. I used to follow forums on Facebook, but found FB more and more boring, not to mention all those angry posts of people who think they have a monopoly on 'truth'...

…not to mention AN

Not a social media person at all. Though my other half has an addiction of it

• Like 1

Trends seem to be elimination of genuine debate over issues of importance or alternative philosophies. Generic discussion  about stars of fictional drama are welcome so long as it provides advertisement potential !

GabbaGobilin anyone?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

tiktok has a lot of stupid time-wasting garbage.

but is useful if you want to look sth up.

if you look up "best pizza in chiang mai", you get a nice short video showing you the food. 

So nice.  Do they also have  Carbonara  laced with  chillies?

• Haha 1

No. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. I watch a lot of YouTube which can be informative, WF for instance but 70% is clickbait rubbish. The news is depressing but necessary, I read English, American and German publications, the mix is in order to get a semblance of truth. I'm a cynic and don't even trust my own thoughts but everyone else knows the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A personal attack has been removed

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.