30 Day Free Visa

Does anyone know if visa exempt nationals need to have a onward travel ticket (out of Thailand) as a requirement for being issued with the 30 day free period visa at the Bangkok airport (Don Muang).

The www.mfa.go.th site does not state this requirement, however the Australian consulate site just states:

"The passport holders from the following countries do not required a visa when entering Thailand for tourist purposes if their stay in Thailand does not exceed 30 days and they must have a proof of confirmed ticket.".

I am returning to Bangkok using the 3 month return ticket I purchased in Bangkok and have not purchased a onward ticket, as yet.

Advice appreciated.

Yes you will need an onward ticket the likelyhood is you wont be asked to show it on arrival in Thailand, however your carrier here may refuse you boarding at your point of departure. You could cover yourself by purchasing a train ticket out of Thailand near the end of your 30 day stay before you leave home, example ticket from Had Yai to Butterworth (Malaysia) 100 baht. Simply throw the ticket away when you get here, assuming you dont wish to use it of course! Another alternative would be to apply for a single entry tourist visa in your home country before leaving in which case an onward ticket will not be neccessary.

Good point Thaiflyer.

I am often asked at the overseas checkin or the gate whether I live in Thailand if I am on a return leg.

If the carrier brings you to Thailand and you are refused entry it is up to them to take you back to your point of origin. They will therefore check your visa and tickets. If you have a re-entry permit then there is no problem. If you have no visa then you may be refused.

However many airlines carry passengers who are passport holders within the VOA scheme as they are unlikely to be refused. This may change and there are rumours of a clean up of those with 3 or more tourist visas as it is an abuse of the system.

Good point Thaiflyer.

I am often asked at the overseas checkin or the gate whether I live in Thailand if I am on a return leg.

If the carrier brings you to Thailand and you are refused entry it is up to them to take you back to your point of origin. They will therefore check your visa and tickets. If you have a re-entry permit then there is no problem. If you have no visa then you may be refused.

However many airlines carry passengers who are passport holders within the VOA scheme as they are unlikely to be refused. This may change and there are rumours of a clean up of those with 3 or more tourist visas as it is an abuse of the system.

and if you say that you do, in fact, live in Thailand, there will, quite reasonably. be a request for you to show them your non-immigrant visa or an extension thereof to enable you to board the aircraft bound for Muang Thai.