Overcharging Phuket Motorbike Taxi Driver Attacks Foreign Tourist

webfact

37 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

europe? seriously?

most of western europe rips off tourists with exorbitant prices. 

Not where we go, it's called my home! and I know my way around the UK to get value for money.

And I wasn't particularly referring to the rip off prices, I was more talking about the surly attitude and aggression of the locals, with a complete lack of friendliness. Isaarn people are just not comfortable with it.

Edited by Scouse123

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You see this where people like you become part of the problem by allowing these guys to run around unchecked. He gets away with it once or twice, Thai mentality, it becomes the ' normal ' and if you don't like the response from the customer, get violent.

I agree. Also, foreigners that give a tip also add to the mentality that a higher price should be paid.

Edited by stubuzz
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I agree. Also, foreigners that give a tip also add to the mentality that a higher price should be paid.

who invented tipping culture?

wasn't it western countries?

have you been to a western country lately?

a lot of restaurants have these pay devices that ask 20% tips. 

Edited by save the frogs

30 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

And I wasn't particularly referring to the rip off prices, I was more talking about the surly attitude and aggression of the locals

haven't been to phuket in a long time, so not sure exactly what's going on.

but i'm guessing they're charging "street prices" ie what they think the fare is worth based on many factors like low season .... 

maybe these guys are having trouble making ends meet with the standard fares

44 baht = 1.44 usd = 0.97 pounds

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I read the stories and watched the video.  Unless I missed something I don’t see where the tourist was actually physically attacked.  I see yelling and kicking the gate. 
Was the fare paid in cash to the driver?  Or was it charged via the app? Because the tourist obviously was able to walk away to get behind the gate.  And possibly the police were called by the owner or staff of the accommodation because of the damage to the door. 
If the tourist wanted to pose for some ridiculous photo. That’s on him.  I guess the issue wasn’t that much of a big deal then.  I would not have done it. 
These types of incidents are not exclusive to Phuket.  And while I lived in Bangkok.  I experienced some local behavior.  Where a local would get upset and confrontational if they couldn’t take advantage of you.  Or over some ridiculous nonsense.  

Its all about showing a bad image from locals. Its better to have them shaking hands instead of the photo of a thai that has just been pictured in court after threatening a Tourist they dont want bad publicity so the next day he will again Rip off a tourist.

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

but i'm guessing they're charging "street prices" ie what they think the fare is worth based on many factors like low season .... 

maybe these guys are having trouble making ends meet

Awwwww, my heart bleeds for the little scoundrel! Honest! 

How to slowly incrementally damage your own livelihood and national tourist industry.

Thank God we never ever have to use these fools.

I used to enjoy jumping on the back when in Krung Thep as a younger fella, negotiating with lots of joking and laughter the price in my poor Thai; Asking how much to Ekamai or wherever and then when the price was quoted exclaiming; "Oh my Buddha, Peng mak!" then laughing n asking how much to Hua Hin lol ???? or somewhere equally far far away ... always had a good laugh with the motocy rank guys then off we went.

Phuket motocy taximan is indeed a different animal it seems.

18 hours ago, stoner said:

wrong.

did the taxi sign up to an app as a registered driver ? yes.

did the driver then accept a fare and route pre determined with customer ? yes

did the driver then try to change said agreement ? yes

revert back to my original comment for more info. 

do you live in Thailand or not? If you do then stop being silly. 

23 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

The difference in Patong is you get attacked and beaten and if the attacker is arrested or handed himself in the next day he is out again fleecing tourists. They are never fined they know it so they carry on. Im surprised the Tourist was not waing him and giving him a bouquet of flowers with the local news team to document it.

I agree..  Essentially “rules without consistent enforcement and serious penalties are only suggestions” 

while some still try to bring illegal narcotics into Singapore, many won’t try as they *know* that SG does-as-they-say and takes a hard line and will enforce the law, up to and including capital punishment… and IMHO, it’s this knowing the punishment can be X and that it IS applied, does act as a deterrent to some…. it’s the lack of this element … any real sense of risk of punishment or consequences for illegal acts, that creates an environment of impunity.

9 hours ago, Expat68 said:

All this for 44 baht. Christ get a life!! What if it was in a bar in Patong with a young lady next to you, would you be arguing about the same money? I do not think so

So if agreed a price to entertain you in a bar would you pay up if she said oh its not a 1000 bt its 2000 bt.