Opinion: Thailand is at a crossroads because of unelected, unaccountable bodies

webfact

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Keep on your high horse, and keep believing that 250 people have more power than 27 million.

Simply more coup BS support from you.

You have no vote, and nobody cares what you think or want.

The Thai voters have said who they voted for and what THEY want, and if it is not what you want, that is called democracy.

It is their country and not yours, therefore what THEY want is paramount.

I am sure there will be a democratic elected PM...just not Pita

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

MF and PT have formed a joint coalition with others. These two parties alone form a 2/3 elected majority in Parliament and thus represent 2/3 of the population. This is how parliamentary democracy works. All those who did not vote (for whatever reason) cannot be interpreted as for or against a party. Non-voters automatically submit themselves to the election results by not participating. 

No voter can not be included in the collective will....They showed that they have no will in this....

With the 2/3 elected majority you are right....But if they nominate a PTP candidate it is the same 2/3. If they drop MFP and make a coaliton with Democrats and BJ it is also 1/2 of the population.

I agree that this Senate thing is wrong and bad. Should not happen that way. But that everyone want Pita is also not correct. Often a president would not accept a prime minister or a minister. But that president is elected himself, which we don't have with the senate..

It is a sloppy low IQ constitution.....but it was accepted in general referendum....would be good to change the constitution by someone who is accepted by everyone.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The Thai people need to develop a sense of conviction, and moral outrage. They seem to be very competent at the netizen outrage thing. Where is the action now? Why don't we see 7 million people in the streets? Why don't we see government offices being boycotted? What will it take before these people say ENOUGH!

An election  appears to have been stolen by hooligans and thieves. The moral rot and degradation is astonishing. Yet, the people accept it? huh?

Western and Asia-Pacific democratic regimes have sold out support for a vigorous democratic Thailand since the 2014 coup with indifference and business as usual. Many have recently formalized trade agreements (MOU's and FTA's). Even the UN puts a militarized Thailand on a pedestal as a successful democracy.

The Thai people have become aliens in their own nation.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anything that makes LOS more like the west, which many of us escaped from with relish, is not welcomed by myself, and I'm sure other farangs.

If being run by unelected-unaccountable-bodies is the price to be paid, so be it, in MY opinion.

I agree.

2 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

Well, it's not only Thailand that is in the hands of unelected people.

We all are. The sooner we realize it the better.

Did we ever vote for the UN, WHO, WEF, EU, World Bank etc etc?

These are the supranational organizations that determine the course of our lives.

Unelected and unaccountable technocrats telling our Governments what must be done.

I realised that many decades ago, which is part of the reason for my extreme cynicism.

I no longer vote for anyone. I vote in hopes of getting rid of someone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

You drill holes in thick boards that don't exist. The entire coalition has voted in favor of Pita as the new PM, representing a clear 2/3 majority in Parliament. It can't be that difficult to understand.

yes....and it is not that the senate somehow installed someone without support.

What is if next a PTP candidate comes and the senate vote for him as well...than you have the exact same 2/3 majority.

My point is Pita is not the only possible candidate with majority

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

Well, it's not only Thailand that is in the hands of unelected people.

We all are. The sooner we realize it the better.

Did we ever vote for the UN, WHO, WEF, EU, World Bank etc etc?

These are the supranational organizations that determine the course of our lives.

Unelected and unaccountable technocrats telling our Governments what must be done.

or even be in every government...you remember "we penetrated the governments" from WEF leader