Foodbanks UK Versus Thailand

Brewster67

8 hours ago, Surasak said:

Five years!! How generous! If the labour louts get their feet under table next year, I feel sure they will be begging the IMF for bale out like they did in the 70's, within 3years. A lot of things have changed since then, but labour are still very good at spending other peoples money and totally perplexed when it runs out.

Whereas the Tories just stuff their pockets with it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BugJackBaron said:

And of course this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius  Yeah, right. In the meantime, English is what young people(with few exceptions) want to learn - not Chinese or Hindi .

And the movies they want to see are English and culture they want to learn, for better or worse, is Western.

As Ramstein sang , "We're all living in America".

The guy doesn't even know what "developing country" means, let alone how to select or analyse evidence.  He obviously has some sort of issue with the UK.

In my 34 years in Thailand I have never seen a "starving" person.

In many villages I have visited & lived it would never be allowed & food would be shared/given to them.

Even a gang of homeless drugged Thais around Suk  Soi 4 always seem to be given food.

Seen a few down & out farangs on the street who looked hungry, 3 of which I have offered to buy  food but they declined, just wanted money for booze.

Last time I was in Wellington I was shocked at the street dwellers, cities seem make it worse

On 7/20/2023 at 1:37 PM, swissie said:

"The fall of the Roman Empire" slill makes for good reading. The "Fall of the British Empire" is equally fascinating. Next in line: "The fall of the American Empire". Replaced by the new Chinese Empire.
All Empires eventually "fall". The only thing remarkable is, that the "Western Empire" has only lasted some short 200 years.

China is already falling.

Next?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

In my 34 years in Thailand I have never seen a "starving" person.

In many villages I have visited & lived it would never be allowed & food would be shared/given to them.

Even a gang of homeless drugged Thais around Suk  Soi 4 always seem to be given food.

Seen a few down & out farangs on the street who looked hungry, 3 of which I have offered to buy  food but they declined, just wanted money for booze.

Last time I was in Wellington I was shocked at the street dwellers, cities seem make it worse

My experience too. The Thai people are very helpful in their community. My ex-wife's family seemed to feed (and water with alcohol), the local community each day. Sister in-law would cook up huge pots of food each afternoon. Would feed for 3 meals. All nearby were welcomed to come and eat. Kin Khao Ru Yang? Is something we hear often 

• 8 months later...
On 7/21/2023 at 1:49 AM, Brewster67 said:

The UK is probably going to take the biggest hit of all... They are cheerleading the USA on for war with China and ther Brits are desperate to be involved. If they think the sanctions on Russia backfired onto themselves, wait to see what sanctions on China does to them.

The irony is delicious. China is only a threat because countries like USA and Britain moved their production to China to exploit poor workers there, and destroyed their own industrial base in the process.

I think it's called "shooting oneself in the foot". If the US and Britain end up the losers, it all their own fault.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:44 AM, BarraMarra said:

So what Qualifies Thailand to be in the same  league with the Top Western Nations. What does Thailand do better apart from the weather ?

It's a nicer country to live in and it's not PC or woke, which gives it a zillion brownie points. They also only have 3 genders, not 93 or some such insanity. They also don't go around claiming the sky is falling, because they ain't idiots.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:37 AM, swissie said:

"The fall of the Roman Empire" slill makes for good reading. The "Fall of the British Empire" is equally fascinating. Next in line: "The fall of the American Empire". Replaced by the new Chinese Empire.
All Empires eventually "fall". The only thing remarkable is, that the "Western Empire" has only lasted some short 200 years.

Everything is speeding up. Rome took hundreds of years to become rotten enough to fall, Britain only a couple hundred or so, America a hundred. Will China beat the odds?

4 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

What has Thailand invented that the rest of the world has followed? Let's be honest they invented a three-wheeled Atmosphere polluting vehicle called a Tuk-Tuk.

What have you personally invented...........🤗

On 7/20/2023 at 1:08 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well you swapped it for National Parks,  waterfalls, jungle and forest hills. ????

I understand what he means. Walking in 38 degrees heat  with a lot of humidity is not the same as walking in 15 degrees with fresh air. In addition , there are nearly always nice walks locally or a country park. No need to drive to get to a national park and then have to pay the foreigners price to enter. Walking miles and miles is the only thing I miss about the UK. That and a hell of a lot better choice of beer.

But would I choose to live there ?   Obviously not.

Can't have everything I guess.

On 7/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, Brewster67 said:

Yes, of course there are going to be exceptions, but my point is the societal direction of both countries, Thailand is 'developing' which means life is improving, while in the UK it is 'declining' on a national level.

A lot of the people at these food banks are actually working people who can't get by without it.

I watched a video just yesterday of the queue at a British foodbank, it was at least half a mile long, you don't see half miles queues at temples in Thailand for food handouts... I also just an hour ago read that of all the places Ukrainian refugees fled to, those who turned up in the UK have the most regrets, they can't get work anywhere and are exploited the most...

In Thailand any Thai can get a joib almost anywhere that will give them a living, in the UK jobs are like hen's teeth and it is about to get a lot worse. Even if you can get a job you will struggle to live... Food inflation in the UK is well over 20% and is set to continue at that rate with some common staples having gone up by 175% in just the last 3 months alone.

I read last year that some supermarkets were putting anti-theft tags on CHEESE.

European countries are going through catastrophic decline. It seems that several retired people on this forum don't realise it as they have been away from the reality of these countries for too long, but I definitely agree with your stance.

Precarious finances: 38% of Europeans no longer eat three meals a day

https://www.euronews.com/business/2023/11/26/one-in-four-europeans-say-their-financial-condition-is-precarious

On 7/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, Brewster67 said:

The benefits system is in more decline than the coiuntry in general, it is becoming harder to qualify for them, as for the NHS where my sister works is on the edge of total collapse, when I was young if you got sick you could get to see a doctor the same day, now you have to wait up to 3 weeks for an appointment depending where you live. They kick you out of hospital way beforte you are well enough to leave because they have lost 60% of hospital beds, and they basically let elderly pensioners just die without any attempt to keep them alive under 'Do Not Revive' legislation which kills 50,000 a year so yeah cradle to grave, but you might get to see your grave a lot sooner than you plan... and if all that wasn't eough 20 years from now you will have a US style private system with all NHS infrastructure sold off to big Pharma.

The reason you don't need to root through garbage is the fact you have a recycling system, if there was an ability to make money going through bins, you would be doing it.

Finally, what is it about the word 'declining' you don't understand.... EVERYTHING you just bragged about in your 'supremiscist' way will be a thing of the past very very soon. You are all BANKRUPT, you are hanging on by the printing press that is soon to disappear.

Your economy is about to totally IMPLODE... I give you 5 years tops....

14 years of Tory misrule. Never let this wretched party run an economy again. Corrupt set of entitled arses

On 7/20/2023 at 6:35 AM, Brewster67 said:

The UK considers Thailand a 'developing country'...

The UK has over 2500 foodbanks with around 500 being added every year, while Thailand did have a few dozen during Covid, I believe these no longer exist.

So if Thailand is a 'developing country'... What the hell is the UK?

I have been out of the UK for 13 years and living all that time in Thailand.

Every time I visit the UK every few years I just see more and more decline.

I would rather live in a 'developing country' than a declining one.

The decline has got very rapid since Covid.

As for foodbanks, they're not needed ... but more people have no shame these days, and will do whats necessary to get their 5000 calories each day.

Poorest people are those on an average wage, with kids and renting. i.e. those who are paying for the lazy fks of this nation to sit around doing nothing and search for the nearest foodbank.

Like your comment about "I would rather live in a 'developing country' than a declining one", but i don't see Thailand developing in a way akin to Singapore or Poland, where the lives of the masses has genuinely got better. Thailand still seems like it wants to be backward, with corrupt police, reckless drivers and an ever growing gap between the rich and the workers.

as I just visited Canada and the situation regarding homeless is really bad, I do have an issue with the way op is presented.

Now I don't know about uk, but in Canada anyone can use a food bank. I see people literally buying $10 Starbucks lattes then cross the street and go to food bank. there is a neighbor next to my mom who owns 2 condos (1 inherited) and he gets everything for free, including clothing and transportation because he is below minimum income. it's insane how stupid our governments are and I must say it is quite easy to scam it. 

At least SOME of Canadian taxes to towards the ones in need even most of them are cheating scumbags. In Thailand 100% goes towards corruption.

Edited by Celsius