Thai Student Groups Urge Thais to “Rise and Fight” to Uphold Democracy

snoop1130

They are a tiny minority. I very much doubt that they could even encourage 150,000 people (or approx. 1% of people who voted for just Move Forward) to "rise and fight". And even such a number of demonstrators (if they could get 150,000 at a time) would easily be dealt with by the military...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, sure. But what will they (this generation, not just a few students) do for it?

Freedom for all is earned by the few at a price. It does not come free of charge.

Military coups and dictators come at a much higher price to the people.

The actions of a few can give a better future for the many, as long as they don't lead to coups.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Civil war pending.

Nope. For a civil war you need two well armed groups with opposing views.

Thailand only has the one armed group

For a civil war to kick off in earnest you would need a disaffected unit of the Thai army to make a drive on Bangkok with a view to bringing democracy to Thailand.

A pretty unlikely scenario.............................sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unless MFP have the financial backers to mobilise and support long-term street protests, nothing much will happen.

MFP / Pita have been naive in banging on about reform of Section 112. Students in Bangkok might like the sound of it, but many, many average Thai voters see it as inappropriate or worse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Nope. For a civil war you need two well armed groups with opposing views.

Thailand only has the one armed group

For a civil war to kick off in earnest you would need a disaffected unit of the Thai army to make a drive on Bangkok with a view to bringing democracy to Thailand.

A pretty unlikely scenario.............................sadly.

And where do most of the RTA's recruits & conscripts come from? From Isaan, which has consistently voted PTP for many years, and in May split with MFP.  (Why from Isaan? Because they're not rich enough or educated enough to pull the right strings to evade conscription. Suits the RTA just fine.)

And are these Isaan lads aware of which side is up? Oh yes. As I have recounted in the past, my partner was a young conscript back around 2010. He tells me that the officers told them all to vote Yellow at the relevant election. But the lads all voted red.

Which is suggestive of a course of action in the present circumstances ...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They are a tiny minority. I very much doubt that they could even encourage 150,000 people (or approx. 1% of people who voted for just Move Forward) to "rise and fight". And even such a number of demonstrators (if they could get 150,000 at a time) would easily be dealt with by the military...

Rise and fight ,resulting in

protests, riots and massacres!

Grow up , get educated, become representatives !Change the rules

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

What democracy    ?     Thailand needs a PM with authority and power,  it doesn't need students beating the democratic drum.  They can beat their drum until the cows come home ..... Thailand can't work as a normal democracy,

it needs someone to control the people and someone with power who can control the internal politics.   Thailand has too much in-house political fighting to be anywhere near a democracy ....  it'll never happen,  it hasn't happened in the past 100 yrs and unlikely to for another 100..

Anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming.   

Still in mourning over Prayuth’s humiliating defeat are we?

Edited by MrMojoRisin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

And where do most of the RTA's recruits & conscripts come from? From Isaan, which has consistently voted PTP for many years, and in May split with MFP.  (Why from Isaan? Because they're not rich enough or educated enough to pull the right strings to evade conscription. Suits the RTA just fine.)

And are these Isaan lads aware of which side is up? Oh yes. As I have recounted in the past, my partner was a young conscript back around 2010. He tells me that the officers told them all to vote Yellow at the relevant election. But the lads all voted red.

Which is suggestive of a course of action in the present circumstances ...

Unfortunately , recruits do not have access to weapons except when they are being trained in there use.  And a civil war needs weapons , lots of them. Next is leadership. Whatever their sentiments they need to be led.

I know that the Thai arms is a conscript one , mostly of unlucky recruits who picked the wrong chit from the bag. But whatever their private feelings they are unlikely to storm the armoury and get tooled up. After training many will end up working as unpaid servants to high ranking officers.