Pheu Thai to install Srettha as Prime Minister by forming a coalition pact with government parties

webfact

17 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:
20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you won't (can't) name these institutions or explain how they've been "terminally weakened."

That's fine.

There is about 112 reasons why much can’t be said.

Again, an ounce of knowledge about Thailand and a bit of common sense is all that is needed.

The institution you allude to hasn't been "terminally weakened."

I think my two score and four years in the 'enchanted kingdom' that includes an eighteen year marriage and a couple of kids counts for a fair bit more than an ounce.

We don't know each other so there's no need for either of us to worry about the others common sense.

Kudos for your shiny new enthusiasm though. You would probably excel at a sport or something?

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, bannork said:

Any foreigner who has lived in Thailand for a considerable time and is close to Thai people will understand what Jim is saying.

The belief in 'good people' has dissipated amongst the young and educated. This is partly due to the rise of social media and the dissemination of material that used to be unavailable to the masses, 

as well as the ending of an era that many Thais could not conceive ending.

Who's Jim?

Despite the enlightenment of "the young and educated", the army (still) has all the toys.

MFP (and their next iteration) is a bust. It will take another generation or two before this starts to wash out abut by then, there will be much larger, global fish to fry.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Love It 1

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Who's Jim?

Despite the enlightenment of "the young and educated", the army (still) has all the toys.

MFP (and their next iteration) is a bust. It will take another generation or two before this starts to wash out abut by then, there will be much larger, global fish to fry.

Jim is poster MrMojoRisin. His name is an anagram of the name of the great singer Jim Morrison of the equally great band,The Doors.  Jim actually sings about Mr mojo risin in the song LA Woman. Mojo was slang for the male organ, I believe, as in the Muddy Waters song, 'Got my Mojo Working' and of course Austin Powers ran into trouble when his mojo stopped working..

I digress but back to the topic, yes the army has the toys but the young have the internet.

imo a lot depends on PT.

If they truly believe in democracy, they will stand firm with MF and go into Opposition rather than join hands with the junta boys who could only form a minority government. But so far it looks like they're betraying their pre- election promises. May their supporters spit on their burnt effigies if that is the case. 

It was good to see on Thai news this morning the clip of Dr Cholanan, PT leader, promising to resign if PT joined the junta parties. 

As Jim sings, ' The old get old and the young get younger, 

May take a week, may take longer,

They've got the guns, we've got the numbers,

Yeah ..we're taking over '.

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, bannork said:

Jim is poster MrMojoRisin. His name is an anagram of the name of the great singer Jim Morrison of the equally great band,The Doors.  Jim actually sings about Mr mojo risin in the song LA Woman. Mojo was slang for the male organ, I believe, as in the Muddy Waters song, 'Got my Mojo Working' and of course Austin Powers ran into trouble when his mojo stopped working..

I digress but back to the topic, yes the army has the toys but the young have the internet.

imo a lot depends on PT.

If they truly believe in democracy, they will stand firm with MF and go into Opposition rather than join hands with the junta boys who could only form a minority government. But so far it looks like they're betraying their pre- election promises. May their supporters spit on their burnt effigies if that is the case. 

It was good to see on Thai news this morning the clip of Dr Cholanan, PT leader, promising to resign if PT joined the junta parties. 

It always looked to me like Chonlanan was right behind the new coalition. But it could all be bluff. I hope he sees the light and goes into opposition with people he knows he can trust, unaligned with all the military BS, that's BackStabbing and BullSxxx, and fight a massive guerilla war from there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:29 AM, bannork said:

The Shinawatra family are probably banking the return of Thaksin will generate such excitement amongst the faithful

Given my wife's morning tirade I doubt there will be an excitement and there are almost no more faithful.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A very good article by Pravit. The very fact that some red shirts gloat at the exclusion of MF and see no problem embracing the junta parties'' silent coup confirms their status first coined years ago as red buffaloes.

19 hours ago, bannork said:

imo a lot depends on PT.

Excellent, thanks.

Anything being circulated at the moment on what PT will do is pure speculation, largely based on disinformation. This is akin to the speculation that came from the repeated misinformation that MFP were all about abolishing lese majeste laws rather than the more moderate and infinitely more practical (and constitutional) act of introducing legislation for debate with a view to modifying that law. Loads of axes being ground at the moment and as far as I can see, not a single party is bereft of this. Forgiveness here seems to be something offered once the upper hand has been achieved rather than something for the basis of agreement and consensus building. Maybe the idea of how a coalition government works has been corrupted in Thailand due to the serially poor performance of previous, fractious coalitions? Keeping them divided continues to play well for the incumbents. Always has. When an outright democratically elected majority does take the day, well... we know how that plays out.

The end result will be a fractious government of minorities with an equally fractious minority opposition as they each chose to sit on their hands/fence depending on what's for dinner.

• Thumbs Up 1