Thai Smile Airways’ turbulent tiff: Passenger’s ‘left-behind’ fiasco halts takeoff in Chiang Mai (video)

webfact

To me, if you disrupt flight operations without a valid safety or security concern and due to the behavior a diversion becomes necessary (to include a RTBL or return to the blocks) then not only should they remove you and cancel (without right of refund) your fare, but you should also be subject to a sizable fine. 

For egregious behavior that posed a clearly demonstrated risk to flight safety or resulted in injury to crew or passengers, then i’d support a ban on flying TH registered carriers for X period of time.  

This is an issue that seems to be (unfortunately so) in the western world, and I think the aviation authorities would be wise to “nip-it-in-the-bud” here before it becomes commonplace.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

A disruptive passenger on a plane is just what it is. A disruptive

passenger.  And the serious of the action is the judgment of the flight attendants and captain. It has nothing to do with a person’s nationality 

Edited by swm59nj
Misspelled word
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

What difference did it make if he was an Arab?

He's either a foreigner, white, black, asian, a man, a women or a specific nationality. People want to know who's causing trouble (a passenger isn't good enough) and the blame is going to be pinned on someone and tarnish some groups reputation so naturally we don't want it to be ours.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Also, it is important to Thais to highlight a foreigner behaving badly, given half a chance.

Thai's they have a reputation for being a sex tourism destination with it's main export being young girls that marry older men for money (or illegal immigrants) so they take their chance to strike back when they can. Fair enough but it's not making them any friends.

I honestly don't see how someone can force an aircraft to stop? You can request it but I don't see that working either.

Best you could expect is for the cabin staff to ask airport staff to locate bag and forward it!

However if the owner kept banging on about how much is in the bag he may get just the bag.

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually the Capt. doesn't really care about how 'happy' a passenger is.

What he cares about is the safety of the flight, thats his job, and thats exactly what the Capt. did in returning to the gate, nothing to do with keeping some numbnut 'happy'

Agree. I was on a Lufthansa Frankfurt BKK flight. Shortly after take off, the guy one down from went went crazy , in truth he was completely drunk. The hostess had come around with the meals, the drunk put his hands under the pull out table and sent it flying, food everywhere, then he threw his shoes - mostly on my seat neighbor who had never met his Thai in-laws and future wife who were to greet him. I beeped like hell to get the hostesses , they called help and 2 male staff came running. Then another turned up with the handcuffs and cuffed him to the back of the seat. They had to move us as everything was soaked, I was ok, but I refused to stay there near this maniac. My sorry - looking neighbor and myself were moved to the seats behind the pilots room, the flight being full. We were marvelously looked after, champagne etc , but imagine how my neighbour felt . Needless to say on arrival the Police were waiting for him, and I hope he was banned forever ! 

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The captain would make the decision, unruly passengers are dangerous especially with the whole family there, he could have tried to open a door, as as happened on planes, even mid flight.

yeah.... and then he jumps out of the plane and notices that he forgot the parachute too....:coffee1:

• Haha 1

So if you ever wonder how this whole process works, it's very simple.

Once the cabin crew determine they have an issue with a passenger, they inform the Capt. and he/she decides what to do.

If he determines it's a safety issue to the flight, he/she will send an ACARS message to Dispatch informing them that he will return to the gate, or if in the air to the nearest diversion airport they have in the flight release.

Dispatch will then contact the GSC(Ground Security Coordinator) on shift at the receiving airport

They will contact the LEO(Law Enforcement Officer) who will greet the aircraft with a nice pair of shiny bracelets.

Moral of the story, don't get blind drunk on a plane or be a disruptive jerk. 

I've done my fair share of dealing with people who seem to lose their frikkin mind as soon as they enter an airport

Just remember you can be a jerk at home, be a jerk on an airplane, it will ruin your day!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, gravity101 said:

Seems like she had no choice to an unruly passenger. Ergo forced.

I'd take more issue with the phrase "for him". More like 'because of him'

My point is that a hostess isn't the 'driver' of the aircraft. She would tell the pilot 'there's an issue' and the pilot would decide to stop taxiing the aircraft to the runway for take off.

As above, the hostess has no controls (no brake) to apply to stop the aircraft. The reporter would know this but wrote the story as if the stewardess halted the aircraft. Can't be true. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chang1 said:

I think someone did manage to recently.

The recent incident was in South Korea and the a/c was coming in to land, less than 1000 ft if I remember right. The media have a lot to answer for using the term  "mid flight"

The doors are designed to open inwards and are held  in place by the pressure differential, cannot be opened by human intervention, only structural failure.

An open door at low altitude would be dangerous for those adjacent but not catastrophic like mid flight.

if you offload a passenger like this, don't all the check baggage needs to be re-screened just in case? 

I mean even retrieving just this family's checked in bags in the hold would have been impossible without re loading everyone's bag anyway, that's a raft of delay and missed connection for the rest of the day's flight for that aircraft 

21 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

No surprises here.  A certain class of people are entitled and this airline should be ashamed for backing down.  I blame Thai Airways, not the bitch boy on the plane.

Im not certain kicking the whole family ff the plane is backing down 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The media have a lot to answer for using the term  "mid flight"

Mid-flight, in flight -- as far as im concerned if the plane was in the air it really deon't make any difference.

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

if you offload a passenger like this, don't all the check baggage needs to be re-screened just in case? 

I mean even retrieving just this family's checked in bags in the hold would have been impossible without re loading everyone's bag anyway, that's a raft of delay and missed connection for the rest of the day's flight for that aircraft 

The answer to that is no. 

The bags have never left the sterile area so they would be fine.

What we do when a passenger is removed, their bags fly and they will be forwarded back at some point by the end station.

Not going to put the rampers through the Hell of trying to search a stacked cargo bin for some jackass' bag

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

The recent incident was in South Korea and the a/c was coming in to land, less than 1000 ft if I remember right. The media have a lot to answer for using the term  "mid flight"

The doors are designed to open inwards and are held  in place by the pressure differential, cannot be opened by human intervention, only structural failure.

An open door at low altitude would be dangerous for those adjacent but not catastrophic like mid flight.

off topic, the thread is about an aircraft just taxiing for take off but the passenger left some belongings in the departure area waiting lounge and wanted the aircraft to go back to the terminal so he could get his forgotten belongings. There's no mention of a passenger opening a door in flight.

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

Mid-flight, in flight -- as far as im concerned if the plane was in the air it really deon't make any difference.

Says it all, misleading language has become too readily accepted as we see on a daily basis.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's no mention of a passenger opening a door in flight.

There was a misleading statement in one of the intial replies but it would appear you are not concerned about misleading information being posted.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:26 PM, sandyf said:

Yes indeed unruly passengers can be dangerous but to suggest the doors can be opened "mid flight" is an unwarranted exaggeration. The doors can only be opened when the pressure inside and outside is equal, in other words flying relatively slowly close to the ground.

Sure.

And how did this thread suddenly jump from

-'left his bag in the departure lounge' to

-'might ty to open a door in flight' ?

On 7/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Actually the Capt. doesn't really care about how 'happy' a passenger is.

What he cares about is the safety of the flight, thats his job, and thats exactly what the Capt. did in returning to the gate, nothing to do with keeping some numbnut 'happy'

We're talking about the same thing, you just can't see it. I wasn't talking about "a little unhappy" but to the point of causing a scene. 

I was at NRT on board a Northwest 747 to LAX many moons ago and we went back to the gate to unload an older Philippino lady who had been quite unhappy and had directed this at the passengers around her by making false accusations of theft.

Edited by Mr Dome
added detail