Annual check up - Bangkok hospital , Khonkaen- A worrying experience!

Scouse123

37 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

These hospitals rely on the reluctance of people to complain and Thais, as you know, would sooner speak their back behind than face a problem head on as they do not like confrontation.

My other half of 26 years plus is a bit more westernized and well traveled and will face them off.

Back on track, if she had pointed some things out as ' areas of concern ' I would have listened more, but when she was basically trying to get the hospital bed booked and the CT scan, I found it a turn off.

I reported recently on the board I had a colonoscopy at my local government hospital. I am privately insured but with a deductible of 40,000 baht. I really only want health insurance for inpatient and any major issues, Dental, Eyes, OPD, I will pay as I go.

They did the entire procedure with overnight private room and including removal of a polyp and biopsy for 10,000 baht. Bangkok hospital was in the range of 40-50K plus extras they charge at every opportunity, but that is all private hospitals..

5 years ago at BPH the total bill for the overnight and colonoscopy was north of 80k.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

60kg in January (72kg now).

Smoke - yep I mentioned that in my post.

Drink - yep, a few on the weekends, I box of san mig lasts me a month.

No jabs.

How, and more importantly, WHY did you put on 12 kg or 20% rise in weight in 7 months?

Saying that, 72 seems far healthier than 60kg for a 'grown man'.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

Before you even get to see the doc you are required to have your blood pressure, height and weight checked, i wonder why ?

I know, its good practice, its got nothing to do with money lmao. Its a shame our UK doctors surgeries don't do the same thing lmao again.........

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Before you even get to see the doc you are required to have your blood pressure, height and weight checked, i wonder why ?

I know, its good practice, its got nothing to do with money lmao. Its a shame our UK doctors surgeries don't do the same thing lmao again.........

Probably once you get a high blood pressure reading insurers may use to deny claim due to pre-existing condition

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

By this time, I had dressed and already eaten and drank as they told me everything was done and finished, and so it was impossible that day to then have the abdomen checked.

Did you never realise that they had not rubbed cold gel onto your naked belly, taken 10 minutes to pass a big metal detector over you, and still come up with a result?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did you never realise that they had not rubbed cold gel onto your naked belly, taken 10 minutes to pass a big metal detector over you, and still come up with a result?

I had so many tests and so quickly as the medical centre was quiet and I probably got confused as I had clips fitted to wrists and feet, then I had jelly when they checked my heart etc. then whizzed off to X ray, then dental , then eyes and then audiology.

You just go with the flow and leave yourself in their ' capable hands ' ....but I know now!

At the time, I didn't question it especially when they said get dressed, everything is done, go for lunch!

It was quite a bit to take in and I wasn't fully focused as I just presumed it was like ' clockwork '  when they are doing this every day.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably once you get a high blood pressure reading insurers may use to deny claim due to pre-existing condition

Guys i'll restrict my posting to replies, its not very nice if i don't reply.

Good point but i've never experienced this practice in any doctors surgery or any of the private hospitals i've attended in the UK(the doc would take if he deemed it necessary) . I would also add i don't see that could possibly be the case due to the ''white coat syndrome'', it would never stack up in a court imo

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

At my local Govt hospital, I am required TO TAKE MY OWN BLOOD PRESSURE, HEIGHT & WEIGHT, and show the results to the 'booking in' nurse.

I use the BP results I took that morning and saved in my phone, my height & weight don't change much. Saying that, I went for Yellow Book last week and they had to take my photo against a height scale. I am shown as 172 tall, even though I have been 176 for decades. Checked at home.........176!

I do exactly the same thing due to the ''white coat syndrome'' ????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I do exactly the same thing due to the ''white coat syndrome'' ????

I get the same high readings of both BP and heart rate. I put it down to 'nice-<deleted> on the nurse' syndrome. 555

Can I say 'ass, bum, butt, fanny, etc, but not 'a*se?'?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

Guys, I have a story to tell of an unfortunate experience i was subjected to in a private hospital that was in mine and my Thai wifey's opinion (she was in attendance with me) utterly appalling and totally unprofessional and demonstrated what a piece of s... this so called doc was.

Never in a million years would i have received the same treatment from a doc or anyone in the medical profession in the UK.

But i will refrain from doing so as i've already said enough imo, if anyone's interested i will PM you in the next few days, i've got a busy time ahead of me.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I get the same high readings of both BP and heart rate. I put it down to 'nice-<deleted> on the nurse' syndrome. 555

You can't even say <deleted> Manchu - the famous fictional villain.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It is not ME exaggerating my height, it the bloody Amphur using a dodgy chart on the wall and under-measuring me. Back to Amphur tomorrow to get it corrected.

If you say your height hasn't changed for decades I'd say that's incorrect 

Screenshot_2023-07-23-12-14-40-105_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, moogradod said:

???? Not so much that it would matter I suppose. I probably lost 1 cm in 68 years.

beat u to it as it appears I lost 5 cm in 50 years, went to the army at 20 (now 70) was 1,79 last year at the local Amphur  it appears I am "only" 1,74.... maybe some shrink more then others  555

Medical tests which instill fear are the bait used to lure you into the trap of expensive medical procedures. To get out of the trap of fear, an expensive procedure is required to save you.

I chose a different way to get out of the medical trap. I pray to the Creator of Heaven and earth for strength, vitality, and perfect health.  This changes my mental state from fear to strength. Closed mind to open mind. Combined with free alternative health practices that work fantastically well.  I will never use medical services again.

Sorry about your wasted 13,000 baht fee and inept, unprofessional service received.  I agree with your wife's analysis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

'fanny'?

That should be blocked! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

beat u to it as it appears I lost 5 cm in 50 years, went to the army at 20 (now 70) was 1,79 last year at the local Amphur  it appears I am "only" 1,74.... maybe some shrink more then others  555

I would take up the challenge if I knew how. I have been 184cm as long as I can think of (documented in passports etc.) My last measurement has been 183 cm and I am doing a lot as part of the mandatory procedure at the hospital which I need to frequent quite a lot even if I keep it to a minimum.

2.5 to 7.5 (!!) loss of height in a lifetime as @scubascuba3puts forward must be some special case or I am really not shrinking (maybe as well a special case). A meter does not lie after all, so why should I invent something.

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I will question the docs respectfully on every issue that they recommend treatment for after all said and done TIT where imo ''its all about the money''

Why do you believe this is only a problem in Thailand?

Got a CPAP machine? You may not need it. But the Dr who sold it to you made thousands of dollars. Etc.