EV Concerns EVs On Fire

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Did the Chinese really screw up the units in the display?

Screenshot_20230725_094615_Chrome.jpg

Always helps if one reads the manual, to understand one's car symbols & notations, as you can only fit so many characters in a display.  

Maybe they should have tried to squeeze in:

kWh used per 100 kms ????

If this is the best you guys got ... give it up.

EVs may or may not be for you.   Just happen to fit perfectly in my world.  And I'm not bothering anyone with noise or affecting anyone's heath with exhaust.  win win win for all.

And saving a sh!t load of ฿฿฿ will using, instead of giving it to big Oil.  Your ฿฿฿, give it to them, or spend on yourself.

UP2U

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Always helps if one reads the manual, to understand one's car symbols & notations, as you can only fit so many characters in a display.  

Maybe they should have tried to squeeze in:

kWh used per 100 kms ????

If this is the best you guys got ... give it up.

EVs may or may not be for you.   Just happen to fit perfectly in my world.  And I'm not bothering anyone with noise or affecting anyone's heath with exhaust.  win win win for all.

And saving a sh!t load of ฿฿฿ will using, instead of giving it to big Oil.  Your ฿฿฿, give it to them, or spend on yourself.

UP2U

Typical Chinese total lack of attention to details. That alone would be enough for me to buy a can of gasoline ️ and set fire to my EV ????

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I think the concerns are valid regarding fires in underground/condo parking, albeit at present the risk of that happening appears very low. 

As with any new technology though, I wonder what their safety will be like in several years time. Maintenance isn't a strong point here. Neither is having a license, road tax and insurance. I foresee those without insurance could make it more dangerous for the rest of us if they've had a bump or too, driven over a curb, tree stump or whatever.

Another concern is how the filthy floodwater affects these cars. After sitting in traffic jams on these days for hours at a time, would this still be safe when a car is no longer new?

Ohhh, boy!!!! ???? ???? ????‍???? ???? ???? ???? 

https://splash247.com/one-dead-and-several-injured-in-major-fire-onboard-car-carrier

Reports have come out that the fire started in one of the EVs which is a major issue. The EVs on board are a serious fire accelerant since its lithium-ion batteries when on fire can reach temperatures of more than 2,700 degrees Celsius.

F18eiQ1XwAAcZRk.jpeg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cargo ship was transporting 2,857 cars from Bremen, Germany to Port Said, Egypt, 25 of which were electric cars. It was one of the electric cars that caught fire, a spokesperson for the coastguard told Reuters. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12338705/One-sailor-dead-23-evacuated-burning-18-500-tonne-cargo-ship-carrying-3-000-cars-North-Sea-Holland-electric-vehicle-caught-fire.html

10 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The cargo ship was transporting 2,857 cars from Bremen, Germany to Port Said, Egypt, 25 of which were electric cars. It was one of the electric cars that caught fire, a spokesperson for the coastguard told Reuters. 

Update: The Coastguard has now said they don't know what caused the fire and admitted it was earlier speculation that it may have been an EV

Source: BBC News

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Update: The Coastguard has now said they don't know what caused the fire and admitted it was earlier speculation that it may have been an EV

That's what reuters has stated from the beginning.  The article I read.  'cause-unknown'

No surprises there.   To the anti EV'ers, seems every fire is EV caused, until proved differently.

Considering who on AN is stating it was caused by an EV ... nuff said.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's what reuters has stated from the beginning.  The article I read.  'cause-unknown'

No surprises there.   To the anti EV'ers, seems every fire is EV caused, until proved differently.

Considering who on AN is stating it was caused by an EV ... nuff said.

Still it could be a wakeup call for marine industry. 

What if a EV burst into flames ???? on a packed ferry full of passengers?

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

What if a petrol or LPG/CNG vehicle explodes on a packed ferry full of passengers? 

Statistically more likely.

Then they do what they have always done, pour a lot of water/foam on the fire and put it out. Is that really news to you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

These threads are stated by people to justify their negative opinion about EVs. 

All major authorities on cars , report that the incidence of fire per in cars  100,000 to keep it fair, is higher in ICE vehicles than it is In EV's

So according to KBB, the most conservative of the group , others concluded that ICE vehicles have a much higher incidence of fire per 100,00.

"“Despite the focus on EV fires in the news,” the researchers concluded, “they are not inherently more dangerous than gas or hybrid vehicles, although electric fires tend to be more difficult than gas fires to extinguish.”

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-electric-vehicles-involved-in-fewest-car-fires/

So if one was really concerned about the possibility if a car fire one should be buying an EV

It is revealing that EV owners flock to forums about EV fires ????, they must worried about something.

I have had ICE cars for 40+ years and visited many car sites, but always about technical issues. It never ever crossed my mind to investigate the fire risk.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 1:43 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Speculation,  yeah right.

That risk has been put under the spotlight by the burning car carrier drifting off the Dutch coast. The Dutchcoastguard said the fire’s cause was unknown, but Dutch broadcaster RTL released a recording in which an emergency responder is heard saying “the fire started in the battery of an electric car.”

https://gcaptain.com/ocean-shippers-playing-catch-up-to-electric-vehicle-fire-risk/

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

but Dutch broadcaster RTL released a recording in which an emergency responder is heard saying “the fire started in the battery of an electric car.”

It must be true then. 

No need for an investigation to find out how the fire started.

• Haha 2

Nothing to see here.

How many ICE vehicles you have known to spontaneous burst out in flames at the FACTORY, not once but even twice?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44319803/nikola-electric-truck-fire-headquarters/

UPDATE 7/24/23: One of the previously damaged trucks from the June fire described below reignited on Sunday. This occurred at Nikola's headquarters, according to Reuters. In a statement to Car and Driver,

https://electrek.co/2023/07/06/nikola-truck-fire-no-evidence-arson/

Nikola truck fire: Fire department says ‘no evidence at all that supports arson’

Edited by BenStark