EV Concerns EVs On Fire

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It would be nice to see statistics based on km driven, rather than per vehicle. 

The average age of EV is also less than combustible engine cars, which could also be a factor.

Kms & age is going to be a bit irrelevant, considering the possible leak & igniting points from to to combustion of an ICE vs no flammable liquid being moved on an EV.

No need to be the sharpest tack in the box to realize one has more potential of a fire over the other.

'oil worker' ... hmm ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I had a battery drill explode.  The lithium sparked and smoked badly inside.  Lucky i had fire extinguisher.  It was the powder type and did a very good job of putting the explosion out.  Make sure you have powder extinguishers at your home.  There is a chance you could minimize the damage, but in practice,  because of location of battery in a car may not help. What is the advice for handling a large scale lithium fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite surprised by this from Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade - "Each year we help around 650 people whose vehicle has caught fire. Fires are most likely to start when you're driving which can be a terrifying experience."

https://www.dsfire.gov.uk/safety/on-the-road/car-and-vehicle-fires

Doesn't say how many of those are ICE/EV incidents, but seems like quite a lot however you cut it. I'd extrapolate that to mean that there's a risk of your car vehicle catching fire no matter what sort of energy powers it. 

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ of course the extra weight is relevant. Like say going uphill.

No point in having twice the power if the vehicle weights twice as much.

Can only speak from experience, but our EV has no issues with inclines, and just back from very hilly, steep roads, which the ICE version of, would not have performed as well.  

The difference in power & performance is mind boggling.  You really have to own one or test drive to appreciate the difference.

OK, I checked ... wt 1290 vs 1570, ICE vs EV

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If one runs out of electrons on the road, a jerrycan of gasoline won't fix it

Actually, not to nit pick, but it will if you have a Nissan Kicks. That being the (to me bizarre) EV that generates its electricity from an, er, onboard petrol engine.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BTW, the adjective you want is "moot". Mute means silent, which is an attribute I have not observed in you.

Thanks image.png.a4c21307cc5a6b22d225f0a3d3271c6f.pngthought that looked off ... damn ... too late to edit

Edited by KhunLA

25 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I think its more about the vroom vroom sound and the rumble. Driving in EV is super smooth and quite.  I prefer that but appreciate it is a bit gay compared to the manly roar of explosive petrol

Fixed that with my 1 EV ... look out, Harley coming through:

Edited by KhunLA

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

9 months in with our EV, and unless an impatient person when O&A, (or work on the road) then I can't think of 1 disadvantage we've experiences.   Plenty of advantages though.

Matter of fact, it's easier to find a CS than E85, though mute now, since about the same price as 91.

Pretty sure that few people in my building know that the charging point was on fire…

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Actually, not to nit pick, but it will if you have a Nissan Kicks. That being the (to me bizarre) EV that generates its electricity from an, er, onboard petrol engine.

IIRC the Toyota Prius was the first hybrid. Claims made for their fuel economy over a full ICE are somewhat exaggerated.

It did give comfort to the virtue signallers, however.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Kms & age is going to be a bit irrelevant, considering the possible leak & igniting points from to to combustion of an ICE vs no flammable liquid being moved on an EV.

No need to be the sharpest tack in the box to realize one has more potential of a fire over the other.

'oil worker' ... hmm ????

Odd why airline prefere to record accidents per passenger x km, but don't let a bit of statistical manipulation stain ur EV illusion. Ignorance is still the ultimate bliss ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

What makes me pause for thought is if an EV catches fire while parked in a condominium garage. In Bangkok it's normal for the first 7 floors of a modern condominium building to be used for parking spaces.

If an EV caught fire the building sprinkler system wouldn't extinguish the fire. The fire brigade couldn't get their trucks into the garage as the ceilings are too low, meaning they would have to use hoses installed in the building or run their own hoses. There is little chance of towing the burning vehicle out of the garage.

My concern is about structural damage to the condominium during a sustained fire. In a sustained fire the concrete and steel of the building can be damaged leading to risk of collapse.

With car insurance payouts in Thailand capped at a low level who would pay for all that potential damage?

If this becomes an issue in Europe/UK, etc then I can see additional fireproofing being required in multistorey and underground car parks.

This is not going to stop EVs, it's more a case of building regulations potentially changing to meet new requirements.

Very topical. At our recent condo AGM there was a proposal regarding installing chargers for EVs in our underground car park. Should an EV fire occur, it would be impossible to get a fire truck in there. If the fire was to spread to other vehicles, the inferno could quite possibly result in structural collapse of the whole building. I haven't heard the result of the AGM but suspect that my written objections as a co-owner (on these fire grounds) may not have made a difference. I'll find out when returning in a few months.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Quite surprised by this from Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade - "Each year we help around 650 people whose vehicle has caught fire. Fires are most likely to start when you're driving which can be a terrifying experience."

https://www.dsfire.gov.uk/safety/on-the-road/car-and-vehicle-fires

Doesn't say how many of those are ICE/EV incidents, but seems like quite a lot however you cut it. I'd extrapolate that to mean that there's a risk of your car vehicle catching fire no matter what sort of energy powers it. 

60 years driving bangers to brand new ICE cars. Never a fire in any of them.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, transam said:

If these people came on here and said it has never happened, that maybe different, but it has, with catastrophic results.....Mr. MG..... :whistling:

Yes it has happened, depending on the statistics you read, it has happened between 10 and 100 times more often with ICE cars, sometimes much more catastrophic with an explosion, gasoline has a far higher energy density than Lithium Batteries.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Groan

Statistically ICE cars are more prone to fires than EV's.

Statistically your are most probably correct since EV sales in Thailand comprised 3% of total automobile sales in 2022. leaving the other 97% being ICE vehicles

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Try putting a battery fire out with a blanket or the usual methods.

Some worrying videos on Youtube regarding unattended parked up EV's...

I will sleep comfortably in my bed knowing my EV's are 10-100 times less likely to burn or explode than the ICE cars I used to own.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Odd why airline prefere to record accidents per passenger x km, but don't let a bit of statistical manipulation stain ur EV illusion. Ignorance is still the ultimate bliss ????

Obvious airline aren't going to tell you how many oops they've had, as would scare everyone.

Another silly apples & orange comparison.  On topic, EV fires, and I'll take the insurance companies stats, as probably the most accurate.  

... "There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles." ... nuff said

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Is that a baby angora, or a dog?

Dog

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Obvious airline aren't going to tell you how many oops they've had, as would scare everyone.

Another silly apples & orange comparison.  On topic, EV fires, and I'll take the insurance companies stats, as probably the most accurate.  

... "There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles." ... nuff said

Dog

Here the link that you forgot to provide

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a38225037/how-much-you-should-worry-about-ev-fires/

• Thanks 1

Lithium batteries can ignite weeks after a crash - but EVs not necessarily more fire prone than gas vehicles

Another heavy concern is that lithium-Ion EV batteries are difficult to extinguish and may require a lot of water, depending on the situation and the equipment availiable in the accident scene .In some extreme cases EV fires have required 30,000 gallons / 110,000 liters of water  to extinguish.

https://ctif.org/news/lithium-ev-batteries-can-ignite-weeks-after-crash-not-necessarily-more-fire-prone-gas-vehicles