EV Concerns EVs On Fire

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Using fires/sale is still statistic manipulation.  If the average EV is 4 years old and the average ICE vehicle is 20 years old, then that will favor EVs with a factor 5.

EVs also drive fewer km annually, lets say half the distance and EV fires are effectively underreported by a factor 10.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You also have the T-shirt?

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,two_model,fafafa_ca443f4786,front,square_three_quarter,1000x1000.jpg

NO ... just the ฿35k+ that I got from not needing to buy petrol since owning for less than 9 months.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure if your post in jest or not.  But if not, then you really need to test drive one of the EVs, if you enjoy driving.  There really is no comparison on the performance level of EVs over ICEVs.

I didn't even bother test driving our EV, as simply buying the EV version of the ICE version we already owned.  Just ready the specs was enough for me.

ICE:

Maximum power (kW (PS)/ rpm)84 (114) / 6,000

Maximum torque (Nm/ rpm)150 / 4,500

EV;  MP; 177(130)  MT: 280 Nm

I do not post in jest, I have 0.00 interest in an electric vehicle.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is the odometer on your EV showing and what mileage km/kwh are you getting on average?

Get about 320kms on highway at speed, 80-110kph, and 360kms around town, locally, speeds <60-60-90kph.  Usable battery 46.3kWh.

Exceeding consistently the WLTP rating of 320kms range, at their test speed of 47kph, under perfect conditions and probably not using the AC, which is never off when we're in it.

image.png.565bb5e40d54a3ec504ac6ad18b31f9a.png

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Same goes for EV's drive half the distance of ICE cars...  I'm calling BS.

Yep ... we're still going to hit 20k kms this year of owning, and we probably put on more, locally, since I don't have to pay to drive it.   We go to restaurants within 1 hour or so of the house, that we wouldn't go to in an ICEV, as the petrol would cost more than the meal.

Only because it's an EV, we racked up the kms beyond locally.  One of the reasons we live here, as everything needed is within 3-5 kms of the house.  Prior to here, always lived 15kms away from 'daily' shopping.

Just now started doing O&As, June & July, as doing finishing touches to the house build, previous 7 months of owning.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Get about 320kms on highway at speed, 80-110kph, and 360kms around town, locally, speeds <60-60-90kph.  Usable battery 46.3kWh.

Exceeding consistently the WLTP rating of 320kms range, at their test speed of 47kph, under perfect conditions and probably not using the AC, which is never off when we're in it.

image.png.565bb5e40d54a3ec504ac6ad18b31f9a.png

Very impressive milage at 7 km/kwh, which in energy terms is equivalent to 21 km/l and a whopping 42 km/l based on cost.

What kind of EV are you driving?

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Very impressive milage at 7 km/kwh, which in energy terms is equivalent to 21 km/l and a whopping 42 km/l based on cost.

What kind of EV are you driving?

MG ZS 2022

Had the ICE (2020) version prior, and got 11kpL w/E85 or 14kpL w/91, both about ฿37+/L now.  E85 was ~28% cheaper Oct 2020.

Added plus of charging the ZS with excess solar at home.

Very positive experience so far ... 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276247-ev-owners-…-real-life-experience-help-thread/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Actually you are wrong.

The stats published are fires per 100k sales of vehicles

Where do you get average age comparison of EV vs ICE and how did you make the leap from sales to older vehicles? I'm unaware of any stats for that.  Same goes for EV's drive half the distance of ICE cars, that's not my experience, I specifically bought my MG4 because I was doing more than my previous mileage. What's the source of your stats?  I'm calling BS.

Cars burn during their lifetime on the road,  so fire/sale is actually misleading. 

Since EV sales are increasing and few EVs are old enough for a full life cycle, it underreport the true EV fire statistics. 

The yearly milage number was just my guess and could be wrong, if you have better numbers please share.

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Cars burn during their lifetime on the road,  so fire/sale is actually misleading. 

Since EV sales are increasing and few EVs are old enough for a full life cycle, it underreport the true EV fire statistics. 

The yearly milage number was just my guess and could be wrong, if you have better numbers please share.

25 vs 1500+ per 100k is a pretty wide margin.   Times the EV # by 10, and it's still a huge margin.

16 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think I posted numbers from an Insurance Co. and also a US Gov't Dept.  It's beyond dispute EV's cause less fires, but I believe they are more serious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

25 vs 1500+ per 100k is a pretty wide margin.   Times the EV # by 10, and it's still a huge margin.

Arson fires are also, somewhat fairly, includes in the ICE numbers.

Anyway, it would be nice to see some true and fair numbers based on fires/(billion)km, but so far the EV industry have failed to be honest.

The inconvenience truth.....

News

HOME » BLOG »

BLOG

Statistics: Vehicle Fire Causes

July 27, 2022

27JUL

Cars By Fuel Type (2020) – USA

Fuel TypePercentage %

1. Internal Combustion62.7

2. Hybrid (Partially Electric)27.7

3. Battery Electric7.5

4. Other2.1

Source: Data from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS)

Car Fires By Vehicle Type (2020) – USA

Fuel TypeTotal Fires

1. Internal Combustion199,533

2. Hybrid (Partially Electric)16,051

3. Battery Electric52

Fire Risk Recalls (2020) – USA

Fuel TypeNumber Recalled

1. Internal Combustion1,080,000

2. Battery Electric152,000

3. Hybrid (Partially Electric)32,000

Source: Recalls.gov

Electric Vehicle Fire Causes

IDTechEx collated data from 96 EV fire incidents by Company. Many occur without an obvious cause.

Source: IDTechEx Research

University of Tennessee Study:  Electric car fires are more common than those in gasoline cars.

“The study found that electric car fires occur in 3 out of every 1,000 starts, while internal combustion car fires occur in 1 out of every 10,000 starts.

Electric cars are generally considered to be safer than gas cars, as they do not produce emissions that can endanger people. However, this study states that electric car fires are more common than previously thought.”

University of California-Irvine Study: “Electric car fires are responsible for approximately one-third of all car fires in the United States.”

https://vedaing.com.mk/blog/statistics-vehicle-fire-causes/

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

.. "There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles." ... nuff said

Thr above numbers are bad data.

National Transportation Safety Board and concluded that battery-powered EVs suffer only 25 fires per 100,000 sold, compared to 1,530 for petrol or diesel vehicles, and notably 3,475 for hybrids. However, that report has been debunked for poor methodology.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-really-that-common/

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thr above numbers are bad data.

National Transportation Safety Board and concluded that battery-powered EVs suffer only 25 fires per 100,000 sold, compared to 1,530 for petrol or diesel vehicles, and notably 3,475 for hybrids. However, that report has been debunked for poor methodology.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-really-that-common/

That aricle goes to say "There are very good reasons why an EV is less likely to catch fire than a petrol or diesel car"

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So km/kwh means kwh/100 km in a Chinese EV.

Nice quality touch ????

Gives you a ball park Idea how far you'll go, with current read out of usage.  No different than a fuel gauge, actually more accurate.

Another read out tells you the % of batter left, and expected range you'll get, in real time.

Charging advisory @ 30 & 20%.  So you'd have to be a real idiot to run out.   With the abundance of CSs here in TH, pulling into one isn't a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Gives you a ball park Idea how far you'll go, with current read out of usage.  No different than a fuel gauge, actually more accurate.

Another read out tells you the % of batter left, and expected range you'll get, in real time.

Charging advisory @ 30 & 20%.  So you'd have to be a real idiot to run out.   With the abundance of CSs here in TH, pulling into one isn't a problem.

Did the Chinese really screw up the units in the display?

Screenshot_20230725_094615_Chrome.jpg