Denied entry.

Where and what reason was given for denial?

Generally, if you fix the problem (e.g. get a visa) I'm not aware of any circumstances where a simple denial carries a time limit and you can re-try immediately (I'd recommend a different entry point).

Topic moved to the relevant forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The OP is not asking about overstay.

He was inquiring about what happens if someone is refused ENTRY at airport.

One would assume that he did not have a visa and was entering visa exempt with long history in Thailand.

He could apply for a SETV at a consulate and if granted could enter Thailand with that.

A land border entry would be best option.

I had a  valid tourist visa 

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, paulikens said:

There was no overstay involved,  Would I be able to come back fairly quick?  maybe 3 months?

Yes.

3 months out of Thailand would/should be fine.

So you were flown back to Penang? 

Entering Thailand via land border would be best option even with a SETV.

Surprised you were refused entry in possession of a SETV.

Could you outline what occured regarding return flight.

How long you had to wait at BKK etc

Edit: you could consider entry via land from Penang with your visa.

Here is very detailed instructions in the op regarding that option.

https://aseannow.com/topic/879418-guide-travelling-to-george-town-penang-and-back-to-thailand/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, hydraides said:

Once you obtain a Tourist Visa sticker in your passport.....i thought Immigration had to let you in. I've never heard this happening before

I know Immigration can refuse entry for a visa exempt

This seems very harsh.....I'm very suprised ......maybe Phuket is being overrun currently by Chinese tourists and they are trying to discourage as many people visiting as possible

Probably unlucky and have met an immigration officer on a bad day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

3 months out of Thailand would/should be fine.

So you were flown back to Penang? 

Entering Thailand via land border would be best option even with a SETV.

Surprised you were refused entry in possession of a SETV.

Could you outline what occured regarding return flight.

How long you had to wait at BKK etc

I am actually waiting now to be flown back to Penang

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

I am actually waiting now to be flown back to Penang

Bummer.

I did an edit to earlier post adding a thread that outlines land travel from Penang to Phuket.

You could use your visa at land border. 

• Like 1

Phuket airport has traditionally been one of, if not the worst, entry points for anyone with any sort of recent history of staying in Thailand of tourist visa's/exemptions etc.

Even still, I'm surprised you were refused entry with just 5 months of living here, especially as you have a tourist visa.

Fly into Chiang Mai, or use a land border.

Edited by mockingbird

3 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Did they fly you back then to penang? what happened? did they pay for your flight back? Arrested?

I've never ever heard this happening before, especially if you can show 20,000 baht cash they should let you in...

Being refused entry even with a tourist visa is possible.

True it's rare but has occured previously.

They can ignore the 20k baht and still refuse entry. 

Almost certain to flown to airport where you departed and in most cases the person ends up paying for the ticket.

Hopefully the OP will update at some stage. 

10 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Once you obtain a Tourist Visa sticker in your passport.....i thought Immigration had to let you in. I've never heard this happening before

I know Immigration can refuse entry for a visa exempt

Your understanding of what should happen is correct. Once you have a visa, the airport officials should only deny entry based on the reasons specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act (which they probably pretended they did).

There were sporadic reports of improper denial of entry with a visa at some airports (especially pre Covid) including at Phuket and the two Bangkok airports.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, hydraides said:

Did they fly you back then to penang? what happened? did they pay for your flight back? Arrested?

I've never ever heard this happening before, especially if you can show 20,000 baht cash they should let you in...

You should have asked for the senior immigration officer, explained your situation....Wow I cannot believe they turned you down when you already were granted a TR visa from Penang..What the heck

Just now, Crossy said:

Where and what reason was given for denial?

Generally, if you fix the problem (e.g. get a visa) I'm not aware of any circumstances where a simple denial carries a time limit and you can re-try immediately (I'd recommend a different entry point).

Topic moved to the relevant forum.

@Crossy @likerdup Ok the details are....  I got a tourist visa in Penang but when i got to phuket airport i was still denied entry.  they claimed that because i had already had 5 months here. that i wasn't any tourist anymore.  so couldn't come in as a tourist.   And was living here according to them even though they had no evidence of that.    So, As it's a "minor offence"  (in other words the immigration gave me a trumped up charge.)   There was no overstay involved,  Would I be able to come back fairly quick?  maybe 3 months?

Just now, likerdup1 said:

why were you refused entry?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mockingbird said:

Having a tourist visa guarantees nothing. Other than Thai citizens, immigration can refuse anybody. In saying that, most refusals, certainly pre Covid, were guys entering without a visa.

To be honest its harsh because Penang should have refused the visa in the first place

No reason to refuse entry, Surely there has to be more to this story?

Have you got previous long overstays in your passport?

Have you lived in Thailand before these 5 months for a long extended period?

• Thanks 1

OP depending on how desperate you are to enter you can appeal this decision

I don't know all the ins and outs of this process but worth a try

You obviously need to do this straight away, ask to see a immigration officer and tell them you want to appeal and see what happens from there