Non O visa renewal

Hi everyone,

I have a 1 year non o visa that will end on 29 August, I report my address every 3 months and next report will be on 22 August.

Can I get an additional 3 months on 22 August or do I have to renew my visa before 29 August?

If I can't get 3 months on 22 August, could I get 2 months extension to visit my wife?

I used an agency, I think I paid 15 000 for my visa renewal last year.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much for your answers, that's actually the first time I'm using an agency, the past 10 years I was getting my visa in Laos, but I had to get out of the country every 3 months.

Indeed you are right, that's an extension of stay. I have a stamp Non-O on 14 June 2022 with a red used stamp on it.

The extension says that I have to leave the country within the date specified (29 August 2023) and to keep your permit to stay re entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

So the next notification of residence (every 3 months) on 22 August should allow me to stay 3 more months, after this can I use the 2 months to visit my wife? and then I will have to get again a one year extension?

Or do I have to get one year extension before 29 August?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

So the next notification of residence (every 3 months) on 22 August should allow me to stay 3 more months, after this can I use the 2 months to visit my wife? and then I will have to get again a one year extension?

The next notification of residence (90 day report) provides nothing.

It's simply a requirement.

It's separate from your extension. Your permission of stay stamp.

So you need to apply for 12 months extension prior to August 29.

You can apply for that 30days prior to expiry (45 days at some offices) .

With your dates the window for doing the 90 day address report is in window for extension renewal.

You can do report on same visit as extension.

Your confusion was partly due to previous history using ME Non O.

You most likely obtained those from Savannakhet. 

You referred to 60 day extension to visit wife.

How long do you plan to remain in Thailand.

If ongoing obtain 12 month extension.

Note. You mention the use of agents. 

Is your extension based on marriage or retirement.

Did you provide the money in the bank or agent managed that. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 2

The agent manged the money in the bank. Visa is based on marriage. I need a bit time to get the money to paid the agency so would be good if I could get 2 months extension to visit my wife. Do you think that's possible? And after this get one year extension again.

9 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

The agent manged the money in the bank. Visa is based on marriage. I need a bit time to get the money to paid the agency so would be good if I could get 2 months extension to visit my wife. Do you think that's possible? And after this get one year extension again.

If you have not previously used a 60 day extension to visit wife then yes that's an option.

Not sure how the agent obtained an extension based on marriage and you not meeting the financials.

Seems strange to me. 

So to clarify .....you did not have 400k in Thai bank account in your name only when you obtained your current extension?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lolothai said:

Your permission to stay expires on the expiry date of your permission to stay. Your 90-day report is completely separate. I am guessing that you are over the age of 50, and the agent obtained the extension based on retirement. It does not matter, if you do it yourself, you can do an extension based on marriage.

A 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife should be possible if you have not had one since the last time you entered Thailand using a visa (or visa exempt). That is only necessary if you need time prior to August 29 to season 400,000 baht in your Thai bank account prior to applying for the one-year extension based on marriage. Unless you need to use the 60-day extension, save it. You might want it at some point in the future.

• Like 1

OP, you need to clarify the funds in bank requirement.

You either had your own money in Thai bank account in your name or not.

If the agent in fact obtained an extension based on retirement and "covered" the funds requirement then you will need to use agent again for extension. 

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Although the OP may be unaware of the fact, it is much, much more likely that an agent arranged a retirement extension rather than an extension based on marriage. The Non O visa application followed by extension based on marriage is very difficult for agents to achieve unless all the normal requirements are met. Only a very few agents will do it. If the OP is over age 50, they will have processed a retirement extension, likely without telling the OP what they are doing and where.

I clearly see your point, but I believe he has been working and does hold a WP, He has this thread up. 

11 minutes ago, marin said:

I clearly see your point, but I believe he has been working and does hold a WP, He has this thread up. 

He is certainly working. Whether he has a work permit and is paying taxes is less certain. Note that he was using multiple entry Non O visas at the time he started the thread you cited.

Whatever the full situation, I hope he can find a way through his visa woes and is able to properly take care of his family.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I see your answers only now, I'm working indeed with a work permit that I have to renew soon as well. I'm less than 50 and the agency lend me the money. I didn't get extension to visit my wife since last time I entered Thailand in May 2022. 

I will ask 2 months to visit my wife and after this can I get a visa extension the same way than last year?

Also for the work permit, can I get it renew during the 2 month to visit my wife? is it still consider a Non O and allowed to work if visiting my wife?

Hi, I see your answers only now, I'm working indeed with a work permit that I have to renew soon as well. I'm less than 50 and the agency lend me the money. I didn't get extension to visit my wife since last time I entered Thailand in May 2022. 

I will ask 2 months to visit my wife and after this can I get a visa extension the same way than last year?

Also for the work permit, can I get it renew during the 2 month to visit my wife? is it still consider a Non O and allowed to work if visiting my wife?

I am unsure of your current status, based on your description, if you could scan and post all the stamps in your passport starting with your last entry into Thailand, it would clarify a lot. [Ensure that you remove personal identifying information first.]

On 8/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, BritTim said:

I am unsure of your current status, based on your description, if you could scan and post all the stamps in your passport starting with your last entry into Thailand, it would clarify a lot. [Ensure that you remove personal identifying information first.]

I sent you the copy of my passport by private message. If you have time to take a look it would be very nice.

I contacted the agency but they told me to go to Udon Thani to take a photo, indeed my visa stamp is from there but I have never been there.

I'm living now in Rayong with my family (wife and kids), living and working too.

Agency is not responding anymore. I hope there is other alternatives than going to Udon Thani.

The agency called my wife, they made my visa as father of Thai national so I can't get 2 months to visit my wife and they said the law changed and it's more complicated today. They are now asking 30 000 to make my visa...

I think I have two options here, Savanakhet and business visa.

I have a work permit (expire soon) and the company I work for is registered to a capital of 2 millions bahts.

Maybe the business visa would be easier? how much on average agency charge for it?

And for Savanakhet is it still like before? can still get visa without the money in the bank?

I just read on another thread that it's possible to get 2 months to visit my children, I don't know why the agency didn't suggest it. I feel that they are putting pressure to make me stress and pay more, they are right, it's horribly stressful.

Now my question is, with 2 months to visit my children can I still renew my work permit? if not then better to make a new visa at Savanakhet, the cost of travel, visas and hotel should be in the 10 000 bahts range anyway.

On 7/27/2023 at 6:48 PM, DrJack54 said:

OP, you need to clarify the funds in bank requirement.

You either had your own money in Thai bank account in your name or not.

If the agent in fact obtained an extension based on retirement and "covered" the funds requirement then you will need to use agent again for extension. 

Many agents doing the marriage 400k deal, just need your bank book along with the other bits, no idea how they get around the two months seasoning,  it's more expensive than retirement visas though which seems to be a walk in the park via the agent route.

10 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I sent you the copy of my passport by private message. If you have time to take a look it would be very nice.

I contacted the agency but they told me to go to Udon Thani to take a photo, indeed my visa stamp is from there but I have never been there.

I'm living now in Rayong with my family (wife and kids), living and working too.

Agency is not responding anymore. I hope there is other alternatives than going to Udon Thani.

OK. You received a Non O visa at Immigration in June 2022, followed by a one-year extension of the 90-day stay based on Thai wife which ends 29 August 2023. It appears you used an agent who processed the visa and extension at Udon Thani immigration. Last year, it was possible to do this without your attendance. Now, it appears the agent could again do the extension in Udon Thani, but you must be present there for a short while to be photographed  This seems a bit nerve wracking, especially with the agent not seeming keen themselves.

I note from your later post that you think you might be able to qualify based on income. There are two potential issues: (i) your local immigration office may realise you have been using an agent, and not want to be involved because of that; and (ii) you need to find out what the local immigration office will require in terms of income proof [if you are working with a work permit, then they should accept your proof of paying Thai tax on over 40,000 baht per month of income]..

Talk with your local office. I suggest you show them your passport and do not try to lie. Just be nice, explain the history, and that you want to do everything correctly going forward so you and your family have no problems. (However, omit the fact that you were looking to use an agent again.) Ask them what you need to do. Most officials respect honesty, family responsibility, and a respectful request for help. I make no guarantees, but your chances are good, and you can fall back on a trip to Savannakhet if all else fails.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

OK. You received a Non O visa at Immigration in June 2022, followed by a one-year extension of the 90-day stay based on Thai wife which ends 29 August 2023. It appears you used an agent who processed the visa and extension at Udon Thani immigration. Last year, it was possible to do this without your attendance. Now, it appears the agent could again do the extension in Udon Thani, but you must be present there for a short while to be photographed  This seems a bit nerve wracking, especially with the agent not seeming keen themselves.

I note from your later post that you think you might be able to qualify based on income. There are two potential issues: (i) your local immigration office may realise you have been using an agent, and not want to be involved because of that; and (ii) you need to find out what the local immigration office will require in terms of income proof [if you are working with a work permit, then they should accept your proof of paying Thai tax on over 40,000 baht per month of income]..

Talk with your local office. I suggest you show them your passport and do not try to lie. Just be nice, explain the history, and that you want to do everything correctly going forward so you and your family have no problems. (However, omit the fact that you were looking to use an agent again.) Ask them what you need to do. Most officials respect honesty, family responsibility, and a respectful request for help. I make no guarantees, but your chances are good, and you can fall back on a trip to Savannakhet if all else fails.

I'm just coming back from the immigration, I explained them everything, the officer was very nice. You were right, she told us that my best option is to get out of Thailand and make a new Non O visa to clean the one with Udon Thani. She said it was best to ask as a father of a Thai national like my last visa to don't make them confuse.

I asked for two months to visit my children and she said it was not possible because of the Udon Thani thing, also it would be a problem to renew my work permit.

My wife contacted the agency and they told her the same, that if I don't use them then I have to get out of Thailand because they did it in Udon Thani and now it's them or getting out and now the price goes from 15 000 to 30 000 because no choice. Much less nicer than last year... I will avoid agency as much as possible from now on.

I'm not sure to understand well how it works. Let me know if this is correct, to make a new visa it has to be done in an immigration outside Thailand, then to make extension it's possible to make it at the immigration in Thailand.

So here I can't make a business visa or a Non-O visa here in Thailand.

I think my best bet is the Non O visa in Savanakhet, I hope the Udon Thani stamp won't be a problem. This visa would be without proof of income or money in bank.

My plan B if they deny it at Savanakhet would be to go to Vientian and ask for a Non O but this time with proof of income.

I will bring my wife and children to Savanakhet, would it help?

12 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I'm not sure to understand well how it works. Let me know if this is correct, to make a new visa it has to be done in an immigration outside Thailand, then to make extension it's possible to make it at the immigration in Thailand.

My strong recommendation is to do what Immigration recommended. There are strong reasons for following their advice that I can go into if you really want a full education. I summary, the visa and extension using an agent make any further extension (which is subject to scrutiny at Division headquarters) risky. You cannot get a brand new visa from Thai Immigration when already on a Non Immigrant permission to stay. If you return to Thailand visa exempt or with a tourist visa, your work permit becomes invalid.

By leaving and immediately returning to Thailand with a Non O visa based on Thai child (I suggest doing this in Savannakhet) you can then extend yourself at your local Immigration office and all should go smoothly (or mostly smoothly) going forward. The validity of your work permit will never be in question.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

My strong recommendation is to do what Immigration recommended. There are strong reasons for following their advice that I can go into if you really want a full education. I summary, the visa and extension using an agent make any further extension (which is subject to scrutiny at Division headquarters) risky. You cannot get a brand new visa from Thai Immigration when already on a Non Immigrant permission to stay. If you return to Thailand visa exempt or with a tourist visa, your work permit becomes invalid.

By leaving and immediately returning to Thailand with a Non O visa based on Thai child (I suggest doing this in Savannakhet) you can then extend yourself at your local Immigration office and all should go smoothly (or mostly smoothly) going forward. The validity of your work permit will never be in question.

Thank you very much for your answer, I would appreciate the full education on the matter too.

I'm going next week to Savannakhet by car, Rayong to Mukdahan, take all my family with me to make it a nice family trip.

I'm a bit stress about this Udon Thani stamps, I didn't realize until last week that it was made in Udon Thani. I only checked the date and type of visa and celebrated. Hopefully they won't mind in Savannakhet and I can make a fresh new visa, I can probably extend based on my salary once I come back here.

Could you tell me if I understand this basic thing? Visas are given in immigration outside of Thailand and Visas extension can be given in Thailand, is that correct? or is it possible to make a fresh new visa while in Thailand?

I remember getting a NON B visa years ago and my company sent me to Singapore to get it, they took care of everything included WP.

I would appreciate the full education on the matter too.

I will update this thread with a long post that outlines all the potential issues starting with your situation in due course. I do not have time to do this today.

Hopefully they won't mind in Savannakhet and I can make a fresh new visa,

Savannakhet will not care that you used an agent in Thailand.

Could you tell me if I understand this basic thing? Visas are given in immigration outside of Thailand and Visas extension can be given in Thailand, is that correct? or is it possible to make a fresh new visa while in Thailand?

Generally, visas are issued at embassies/consulates, and extensions of permission to stay at Immigration in Thailand.  If you enter Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt, in some situations, it is possible to get a visa at Immigration in Thailand. If you are already on a Non Immigrant entry, applying for a visa at Immigration is totally impossible.

I remember getting a NON B visa years ago and my company sent me to Singapore to get it, they took care of everything included WP.

Changing from a tourist entry to a Non B visa is possible at Immigration in Thailand, but is more demanding in terms of documentation, and takes longer than doing it at an embassy/consulate.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I will update this thread with a long post that outlines all the potential issues starting with your situation in due course. I do not have time to do this today.

Savannakhet will not care that you used an agent in Thailand.

Generally, visas are issued at embassies/consulates, and extensions of permission to stay at Immigration in Thailand.  If you enter Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt, in some situations, it is possible to get a visa at Immigration in Thailand. If you are already on a Non Immigrant entry, applying for a visa at Immigration is totally impossible.

Changing from a tourist entry to a Non B visa is possible at Immigration in Thailand, but is more demanding in terms of documentation, and takes longer than doing it at an embassy/consulate.

Thank you again for your answer and your time, I was wrongly calling Embassies/Consulates immigration. In my future posts I can avoid making everyone confused.

So it is possible to get visas at immigration but only if on a tourist or exempt and when on Non immigrant it's possible to get extension but not a new visa, it has to be done at an embassy.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

So it is possible to get visas at immigration but only if on a tourist or exempt and when on Non immigrant it's possible to get extension but not a new visa, it has to be done at an embassy.

Correct. You can change the reason for your extended permission to stay in Thailand, but on a Non Immigrant entry, you can never apply for a visa except by leaving Thailand and getting the visa at an embassy/consulate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1