Park a car in HatYai for a few days

grain

Soon I'll be doing a motoring trip of the South, I wouldn't mind going to Penang for a few days, perhaps 3-4 nights, is there a carpark in HatYai city where I could leave my car?  I won't be staying the night in HatYai, so there won't be a hotel carpark I can use. After returning from Penang I'll be going directly to Songkhla. In HatYai I'll need a carpark that charges by the day.

Google is your friend, Hat Yai airport is about 100b 24hrs apparently. And Robinsons have a car park too. 

If you go to the map there are 16 other ones around Robinsons,

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Google is your friend, Hat Yai airport is about 100b 24hrs apparently. And Robinsons have a car park too. 

If you go to the map there are 16 other ones around Robinsons,

Well I have Googled Robison's carpark but no info come up. So do you know this for a fact, that someone can leave a car in Robinson's carpark for 3-4 days? Do you know what it costs? I did Google airport too, and see that's 100Bt a day, which is OK. However, I did really want someplace in the city center as more convenient to leave car and get the Penang taxi.

38 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

The only ones I am aware of are out near the airport, but they do a very good job and you can get in and out of town easily from there on the light-blue songthew (10 baht, I think). 

OK thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grain said:

Well I have Googled Robison's carpark but no info come up. So do you know this for a fact, that someone can leave a car in Robinson's carpark for 3-4 days? Do you know what it costs? I did Google airport too, and see that's 100Bt a day, which is OK. However, I did really want someplace in the city center as more convenient to leave car and get the Penang taxi.

You can click on parking with the map of Robinsons and 16 other car parks come up. no i don't know how much or how long you can park, but they do have a PHONE NUMBER.

13 minutes ago, grain said:

However, I did really want someplace in the city center as more convenient to leave car and get the Penang taxi.

I do not understand. You are flying from, and back to, the airport, but want to leave your car in a city centre car park? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I do not understand. You are flying from, and back to, the airport, but want to leave your car in a city centre car park? 

1 hour ago, grain said:

Soon I'll be doing a motoring trip of the South,

I'm beginning to feel like a mother. JFC

Edited by brianthainess
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

not flying on a motoring trip Hua Hin - Samui - Songkhla, I just thought it might be nice to leave the car somewhere safe in HatYai and pop down to Penang for a couple of nights. It's not essential, so if it becomes tricky I'll drop the idea.

Just now, South said:

Why not drive down to Penang, it's not far, not difficult and you'll have transport once you get there to get around?

Yes, I did consider that too, but we'd stay in Georgetown and I'd prefer not to drive there, we'd walk around, the car would just be parked somewhere in Georgetown for 2-3 days. 

On 7/30/2023 at 3:16 PM, South said:

Why not drive down to Penang, it's not far, not difficult and you'll have transport once you get there to get around?

Too much paperwork involved. One needs a license plate sticker in the Malaysian style, Malaysian insurance, a permit to leave Thailand, the care to be fully paid off and driven by the owner. Plus, the darkening film on the windscreen may not measure more than 40 percent.  I would only recommend driving to Malaysia in case you're planning to do it often.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, grain said:

not flying on a motoring trip Hua Hin - Samui - Songkhla, I just thought it might be nice to leave the car somewhere safe in HatYai and pop down to Penang for a couple of nights

I guess this is where people who speak the English language get confused.

You're doing a "motoring" trip.

In which you want to "park your car" for a "few days".

So you can "pop down" to Penang for a "few days".

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. ????

On 7/30/2023 at 11:31 AM, grain said:

I wouldn't leave a car in Robinson's car park overnight, the ones near the airport are you best bet as they have security.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I guess this is where people who speak the English language get confused.

You're doing a "motoring" trip.

In which you want to "park your car" for a "few days".

So you can "pop down" to Penang for a "few days".

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. ????

Seems like you're taking the piss? So what's not clear? Let me explain it very slowly for you.

We're planning a motoring trip from Korat to HuaHin - Koh Samui - Songkhla, then we drive back home to Korat after a couple of weeks. OK, have you got that so far?

While we're at Songkhla/HatYai we think we may like to pop down to Penang for a few days. We've been there many times and enjoy a few days in old Georgetown and having some tasty Indian food. As MarcelV says above, it's not worth all the regulations to take a car from Thailand to Malaysia just for 2-3 days. I used to live in Songkhla and HatYai so I know that already. So if we do decided to pop down to Penang from HatYai, it makes sense to park the car somewhere safely in HatYai and go there by taxi. OK, have you got that? Is it making sense to you now?

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

I wouldn't leave a car in Robinson's car park overnight, the ones near the airport are you best bet as they have security.

Cheers, I agree. Actually we'll be staying for a few days at a hotel in Songkhla, so I'm not thinking it'll be better if I just park the car at the hotel and take a taxi to HatYai, then the taxi to Penang.