Female Motorbike Rider Travelling Against Traffic Killed by Truck in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — A Cambodian motorbike rider was killed in a collision with an 18-wheeler in the Phanat Nikhom district yesterday afternoon, July 28th. The woman was reported to be riding against the traffic.

The local rescue team came to the victim’s aide on 331 Road in the Nongprue sub-district, Chonburi, following a report of the accident. Upon their arrival, they found a 38-year-old Cambodian woman, Ms. Tak Ea, tragically passed away on her blue Honda Wave motorbike that had jammed tightly into the bumper of an 18-wheeler.

Tak suffered fatal wounds to her head and wrists. Her body was transferred to a nearby hospital. 

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/29/female-motorbike-rider-travelling-against-traffic-killed-by-truck-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Short cut to the pearly gates.

Every time I use the railway line bypass I will see a motorcycle riding against traffic....it is hardly signposted that it is a dual carriageway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Driving a bike at excessive speed here, or on the wrong side of a highway, to save 5 minutes, is an invitation for trouble. Ask yourself one thing. Is my life already complicated enough, without a serious bike accident? Or death? Darwin insisted that some species and some members of those species were more fit for survival than others. It would appear the roads here, and especially motorbike riders, are a perfect example of his theories in action. 

It takes certain qualities to survive on the roads here. Patience, being very conscious of your surroundings, driving defensively, avoiding excessive speed, especially in town, following basic traffic rules and laws and avoiding being overly stupid, at all times. 

95% of the time someone dies on a bike here, it is due to a lack of attention, being nearly unconscious, or commiting a very stupid act, and the inability to comprehend the very serious, and very dangerous task at hand. Many Thais are extremely casual about driving, and seem to have little understanding of the dangers involved, and the need to be 100% focused, at all times. Especially on a motorbike. 

beautifully composed and so very very true -  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

95% of the time someone dies on a bike here, it is due to a lack of attention, being nearly unconscious, or commiting a very stupid act, and the inability to comprehend the very serious, and very dangerous task at hand. Many Thais are extremely casual about driving, and seem to have little understanding of the dangers involved, and the need to be 100% focused, at all times. Especially on a motorbike. 

Thais appear to have zero concept of cause and effect. They can't join the dots. One example is riding against traffic. Another is killing someone over a triviality, something we read of daily (today, a man who kindly allowed his neighbour to use his wi-fi turned it off, which the freeloader objected to so he knifed him to death)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thais appear to have zero concept of cause and effect. They can't join the dots. One example is riding against traffic. Another is killing someone over a triviality, something we read of daily (today, a man who kindly allowed his neighbour to use his wi-fi turned it off, which the freeloader objected to so he knifed him to death)

There seems to be some truth to that. It most certainly has something to do with the inability to visualize. Neither the future, nor the hypothetical. What will happen in this scenario? What about this? What about that? What are the inherent risks involved in piloting my bike onto the safety lane of a major highway, in the wrong direction, with big trucks coming at me at 100kph? Is it worth sacrificing my life, or my ability to walk for the rest of my life? How will my death affect my kids? 

I don't think many Thais ever ponder thoughts like this. Why, I can't imagine. It is likely something we will never understand about their nature. 

I often like to say the best way to understand these differences in attitude and intellect, is to realize Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet. 

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't think many Thais ever ponder thoughts like this. Why, I can't imagine. It is likely something we will never understand about their nature. 

I think the basis of it is them not being encouraged to think in school.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I often like to say the best way to understand these differences in attitude and intellect, is to realize Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet. 

I refer to Thailand as a lunatic asylum, where it would be foolish to ever anticipate how the inmates will act.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Every time I use the railway line bypass I will see a motorcycle riding against traffic....it is hardly signposted that it is a dual carriageway. 

All Thais know it's a dual-carriageway.  They're just doing what they always do; taking the short-cut. 

Even a Cambodian would know.  Wherever you are in the world, you know when you are on a dual-carriageway.  The fact that Cambodians ride/drive on the opposite side to Thailand is irrelevant.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Condolences to the victim's family. 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:31 AM, spidermike007 said:

Driving a bike at excessive speed here, or on the wrong side of a highway, to save 5 minutes, is an invitation for trouble. Ask yourself one thing. Is my life already complicated enough, without a serious bike accident? Or death? Darwin insisted that some species and some members of those species were more fit for survival than others. It would appear the roads here, and especially motorbike riders, are a perfect example of his theories in action. 

It takes certain qualities to survive on the roads here. Patience, being very conscious of your surroundings, driving defensively, avoiding excessive speed, especially in town, following basic traffic rules and laws and avoiding being overly stupid, at all times. 

I don't want to talk it right, but yesterday I come back from Phuket to the north, and there is a new highway, the 44.

Some parts of the road are 500 meters apart, (go and go back).

So I can imagine that people on motorbikes choose the easiest way.

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I don't want to talk it right, but yesterday I come back from Phuket to the north, and there is a new highway, the 44.

Some parts of the road are 500 meters apart, (go and go back).

So I can imagine that people on motorbikes choose the easiest way.

I think what you are saying is that it is very easy to die here. Choose wisely. Shortcuts can be very costly, sometimes. A short supply of judgment and wisdom on the roads, is a recipe for disaster. 

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think what you are saying is that it is very easy to die here. Choose wisely. Shortcuts can be very costly, sometimes. A short supply of judgment and wisdom on the roads, is a recipe for disaster. 

We can say that we agree, after many years to watch the traffic.

• Thanks 1