Silly pronoun use ... IMHO

KhunLA

They do it to be deliberately provocative. They could have invented completely new pronouns, but no - they want to commandeer existing pronouns. It's madness because it's simply confusing.

The only explanation is that it's a attempt to shoehorn themselves into the existing scheme, and if that upsets the everyday meaning of things, then so be it. Subverting the normal order - undermining the foundations of conventional society - is one of their defining characteristics.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

They do it to be deliberately provocative. They could have invented completely new pronouns, but no - they want to commandeer existing pronouns. It's madness because it's simply confusing.

The only explanation is that it's a attempt to shoehorn themselves into the existing scheme, and if that upsets the everyday meaning of things, then so be it. Subverting the normal order - undermining the foundations of conventional society - is one of their defining characteristics.  

Actually I think they did ... Xe / Xem / Xir, but as you suggest, aren't provocative, and nobody wants to use, as it doesn't shout ... 'look at me' enough.  Along with teaching everyone how to actually pronounce them.

Is he 'X' silent, the 'e & i' short or hard sound ????  and do you really want to sound like and idiot or explain what the hell you just said, over & over.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, other things are more important in the world, like the price of beer, or rain, or the next news-blip about an MVA, where nobody was injured.   

Unless of course, you just lost your job, means of supporting your family, if some little snowflake gets offended because you used English the were you were taught.

Just imagine being an English language teacher, and being forced to use pronouns improperly ... how ironic.  How's that play out in the courtroom ????

Google before you reply and state that would never happen.

Google before you tell lies that such things are common. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not a definition. 

Just a bit of humour.  Woke means different things to different folks, on different subject matter.

I'm 'aware' of many things, that my parents refused to see.  But there's a limit to what conformity is expected now, for some of the silliness.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You may want to edit that, just to give your thread credibility........????

I just use 'humour' instead of the proper spelling.  Humour must be wrong, as it get highlighted.

image.png.c94e5979a68529099f00867dcd949c06.png

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Google before you tell lies that such things are common. 

See that, you didn't google.  Even on appeal to federal court, I think, or high state court, and one firing was upheld.  I advised you before you post, and still.

It's about controlling the language. Once you accept these terms, they'll create more and try to force them on you. It will never be enough. The over-reach will never end. 

Same as we used to have to say coloured people. Now, that's incredibly offensive. We have to say people of colour which apparently is fine. Once we all get used to that, they'll move the goalposts again and force us to use another term. 

It's about keeping us on our toes. They say jump, we say how high. If we object, we will be labeled fascists and be forced to defend ourselves against that accusation, taking our attention away from the debate at hand. Control the language, control the masses.

image.png.8ad8975ae68aeae213a52d1542423c50.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's about controlling the language. Once you accept these terms, they'll create more and try to force them on you. It will never be enough. The over-reach will never end. 

Same as we used to have to say coloured people. Now, that's incredibly offensive. We have to say people of colour which apparently is fine. Once we all get used to that, they'll move the goalposts again and force us to use another term. 

It's about keeping us on our toes. They say jump, we say how high. If we object, we will be labeled fascists and be forced to defend ourselves against that accusation, taking our attention away from the debate at hand. Control the language, control the masses.

image.png.8ad8975ae68aeae213a52d1542423c50.png

Agree.

I'm still have issue with the redefining of 'vaccine'  so big Pharma could avoid lawsuits.   That took things to a new level.

Along the same lines.  BUT ... Another topic for another day/thread.  Same with history being rewritten.

Let's keep it on pronouns ...

... so, 2 full pages and we're all still civil ... ok, told I lied, instead of being mistaken, but probably just 'misspoke' ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In America one could just say y'all and grin stupidly.

Well it is quite an accepted contraction by possibly 10's of millions of people, whether due to location, or racial background.  Myself, exposed to both, growing up on the other side of the tracks in the NE, and working in the S, so I fit right in, when moving southward from the NE.

Other fine examples, besides the more familiar ones using 'will' or 'not',  'can't', 'won't', 'he'll', 'she'll':

image.png.e2976c7a8f65ef220d23c838a42dffb5.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well it is quite an accepted contraction by possibly 10's of millions of people, whether due to location, or racial background.  Myself, exposed to both, growing up on the other side of the tracks in the NE, and working in the S, so I fit right in, when moving southward from the NE.

Other fine examples, besides the more familiar ones using 'will' or 'not',  'can't', 'won't', 'he'll', 'she'll':

Dunno if i wanna watcha da movie as its like be crappa gotta run outta here cya later alligator

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

'Bob' is part of the white male patriarchy that dominates modern Western society. However, after participating in (compulsory) diversity & inclusion training, he is now more highly attuned to white fragility and his complicity in historical ills such as slavery (his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, 'Old Bob', bought some sugar from the West Indies in 1786). In fact, Bob is currently transitioning and it is now more correct to say "Bob's your Aunt". 

Bob Down

Ben Dover

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, there are many ways to mutilate a language, some endearing, others not so much. The American southern drawl I find just as obnoxious as the London accent of my home city, it took me years to get rid of it.

• Haha 1