Traveling for more than one month right after applying for marriage visa extension

My marriage visa extension expires at the end of next July. That means my consideration period is typically from late July to late August, for about one month.

I would like to plan a 6-week trip abroad starting from early August, ending in mid-September. Can I request for immgration to make the consideration stamp to be 2 months long instead of the usual 1 month?

My local immigration office is Chiang Mai.

Planning very early in advance because I need to book plane tickets early.

Good advice from @DrJack54

In your case if you did not yet use the one-time 60 days extension for visiting your wife, you could apply for such extension somewhere early July 2024 and the 60 days will be added to your end of July Permission to stay expiry date, making it end of September 2024. 

And that would allow you to take your envisioned 6-weeks holiday from August to mid September 2024.  On your return you could then apply for the 1-year extension of stay. 

Note: Do not forget to buy a Re-Entry Permit after having applied for the 60-day permission to stay and prior to leaving Thailand, this  in order to protect that end of Sept 2024 Permission to stay. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are not eligible for the 60-day extension, your best plan is to allow your current extension to expire, and to start again with a new Non O visa.

That's what I did last spring, I went away for two months let my 1 year extension expire., came back visa exempt, then three months later went away again for a month, again came back visa exempt,  got a Non O in Khon Kaen and then did an 1 year extension based on mariage starting from the beginning, But since I had most of the required document from the previous extension it really was not more difficult that if I had renewed my previous extension. 

I know I could had came back with a non O , but I was in a third country on vacation  and did not want to bother. 

“You can only change the dates of your (marriage) visa by applying for a different visa; and then you’re locked into those dates” … is what I was told at Chaengwattana Immigration. 

My date is 21-Dec which is quite inconvenient (and expensive, crowded flights) for visiting the family overseas for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, CecilM said:

“You can only change the dates of your (marriage) visa by applying for a different visa; and then you’re locked into those dates” … is what I was told at Chaengwattana Immigration. 

My date is 21-Dec which is quite inconvenient (and expensive, crowded flights) for visiting the family overseas for Christmas. 

The CW Immigration info they provided you is incorrect.

When married to a Thai national, you can apply one time per Visa for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife.  This is applicable for ANY Visa, and as you are Permission to stay is based on an original Non Imm O marriage Visa, you obviously meet the criterion. 

So when your current Permission to stay is valid till December 21st, you can apply for that 60-day extension from early December (or earlier if your Imm Office allows it) and the 60 days will be added to your current Permission to stay expiry date of Dec 21st, bringing the date to 19 February. 

Note: If your current Dec 21st date is the result of having done such 60-day extension already some years ago, there is indeed no way of changing that date. 

33 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The CW Immigration info they provided you is incorrect.

When married to a Thai national, you can apply one time per Visa for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife.  This is applicable for ANY Visa, and as you are Permission to stay is based on an original Non Imm O marriage Visa, you obviously meet the criterion. 

So when your current Permission to stay is valid till December 21st, you can apply for that 60-day extension from early December (or earlier if your Imm Office allows it) and the 60 days will be added to your current Permission to stay expiry date of Dec 21st, bringing the date to 19 February. 

Note: If your current Dec 21st date is the result of having done such 60-day extension already some years ago, there is indeed no way of changing that date. 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

No I have never asked for extension before. I wanted to change my visa date to January, but was told it’s not possible. 

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Of course, if you really want to, you can leave Thailand at any time without a re-entry permit, and return with a 90-day Non O visa from Savannakhet. That can be used to achieve any extension date you want (but then, again, a fixed date unless you do another visa run).