British chain Costa Coffee faces boycott calls over transgender illustration

Social Media

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Actually I prefer to support local businesses than buy overpriced swill from huge multinational corporations.

That's fine.

I prefer to drink local. My own coffee made at home, ha ha.

It certainly "wokes" (sic) me up and gets the bowels moving.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Just as you are free to be an angry, bitter individual who resorts to hurling insults around when they have clearly lost the debate. 

Not saying you are of course. Just that you are free to be, should you choose such a path. ????

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the heads up. I now know which coffee shop to avoid if I don't want to meet lefty, sanctimonious, pearl clutching, woke virtue signallers.

Enjoy your latte :coffee1:

Right, ok.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:16 PM, Jingthing said:

Idiotic and dangerous bigotry.

They start with scapegoating trans people and even refusing to acknowledge even their existence. They intend and indeed are succeeding in making the lives of trans people as difficult as possible in many countries with a plethora of petty new tranparently vindictive laws. This is true EVIL.  Tip of the iceberg for who these bigots want to erase. They're obviously also after all LGBTQ people, racial minorities, etc.
Learn from history. 

agree, yet I do also think that the company's move was ill advised.

I fully support a "we employ all and we serve all" position, inclusion and non-discrimination. but from there to pushing an agenda, there is a leap.

although the subject does not offend me in the slightest, I'd be bewildered to find any kind of gender/sex/alternative lifestyle etc. promotion on my milk bottle or pizza box.

it's just out of place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

I fully support a "we employ all and we serve all" position, inclusion and non-discrimination. but from there to pushing an agenda, there is a leap.

although the subject does not offend me in the slightest, I'd be bewildered to find any kind of gender/sex/alternative lifestyle etc. promotion on my milk bottle or pizza box.

it's just out of place.

It's not promotion.

It's representation of diversity that exists.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not promotion.

It's representation of diversity that exists.

I disagree.

Putting a representation - any kind of representation - in a place where it will be seen by people who didn't realistically expect to see it is making a statement with intent.

Many statements can be made.

While I'd think presenting a photo of a concentration camp on a billboard would be ok making the statement "never again", I'd also think that such a photo has nothing to lose on a milk bottle or pizza box.

The placement just feels weird, using milk, eating a pizza or having a coffee aren't moments and places where I'd like to be "stimulated" into thinking about such a topic.

Like an intrusion into a moment I'd normally use for relaxation or organizing my day.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I disagree.

Putting a representation - any kind of representation - in a place where it will be seen by people who didn't specifically ask to see it is making a statement with intent.

Many statements can be made.

While I'd think presenting a photo of a concentration camp on a billboard would be ok making the statement "never again", I'd also think that such a photo has nothing to lose on a milk bottle or pizza box.

The placement just feels weird, using milk, eating a pizza or having a coffee aren't moments and places where I'd like to be "stimulated" into thinking about such a topic.

I call B.S.

So when a company shows PEOPLE of any kind they are representing people. If they're showing ONLY white straight appearing people in their graphics they are not representing what society actually is. It is NOT promotion to show diversity in their representations of people. Again, it's representation. Representation is a GOOD thing. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's just out of place.

But gender stereotypes and sexualized images have been a mainstay of advertising and packaging for decades.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1