Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

bob smith

On 8/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, Henryford said:

Plus for us Brits you get pension inflation increases. Quite a bit now with 10.1% inflation, 7% next year?

Wow! I did not know that. I thought they were frozen everywhere except the EU.

4 hours ago, bignok said:

Phuket has girls from Phils. A lot of them work in dentists and doctor offices.

So has the West where I live, we have heaps of Thais doing the jobs not many westerners like doing, (nurses, care workers) to name a few.

I don’t want to live in any place that requires a bank deposit for residency. You can currently live for three years in the Phil on a tourist visa before you have to leave and do a visa run. Not a big deal, I just wish they had a straight option for a certain income figure to live there.  I do like the fact that you can get residency if you marry a local lady. This is something Thailand should copy but never will.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, JimHuaHin said:

I arrived in Thailand 10 years ago tomorrow on an Non Immi O-A "Retirement" visa.

I am in Hua Hin, and every year that the compulsory Thai health insurance policy have been required, an immigration officer checks that I have a valid policy letter in Thai before I am permitted to enter the office to apply for an extension.   When I see the Immigration Officer inside and present all the required documentation and photocopies, he/she gets up, goes to another computer at the back of the office, and checks that my policy is valid.

suggestion : change to simple O-visa and you can choose the insurance and the coverage you want, if any. As far as I know they will give you the simple O-visa anyway as the O-A is the one you need if you enter from your homeland.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:59 AM, Henryford said:

Plus for us Brits you get pension inflation increases. Quite a bit now with 10.1% inflation, 7% next year?

How does that work, please?

I thought if you resided overseas then your UK state pension was paid until your death at the same rate which it was on the day you left the UK to live elsewhere, (devoid of any annual increase)? Hence devaluing your pension income over time.

Or have the rules changed and / or only if moving to certain countries?

(Sorry, for asking. I'm not a pensioner yet, 8 years to go).

Thanks folks.

Spidermike, while I agree with most things you say not sure I can agree with your friends take on violence here. I have lived in AC for  10 years, visited for 17 or so. 

I have NEVER had any sort of confrontation with a local male. I used public transport for the last 9 years (no car/bike) without incident. I guess I would be an ideal target, 77 years old now, 165cm small, 75 kg and couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, bob smith said:

the girls only want your money/girly drink whatever

but the filipino girls seem like a hoot a minute,

Oh, yeah, I remember the days just over 10 years ago when the girls only wanted your smile and a hug. I'm pretty sure that's all the filipinas want. Go check it out and let us know, will ya?

• Haha 2