Move Forward apologise to supporters as Pheu Thai forms new coalition

webfact

I still don't get how anyone in the Senate can make a judgment based on a political party's stated policy. On that basis they could start throwing out any candidate from a party whose policy infringed their own political beliefs. But their charter specifically forbids such judgements:

"The upper house is called the Senate of Thailand. The chamber is non-partisan and has limited legislative powers. The Senate is composed of 250 appointed members appointed by the Royal Thai Army.[2] A term in the Senate is six years. It forbids members from holding any additional office or membership in political parties.[3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Assembly_(Thailand)

So on what basis are they making the call that MFP is to be more or less outlawed? Seems to me to be totally unconstitutional. There's nothing in the rule book that prohibits tabling amendments to the Thai criminal justice system. Nor to any of the laws contained therein. Which is all MFP is doing. I really believe they are in breach of their own charter. Malfeasance in office at the very least. There seems to be zero oversight of these military appointees. Ok that doesn't surprise me, but it ought to. In the UK we have numerous committees set up as checks and balances to regulate and monitor member's behaviour and parliamentary procedures. Here, parliament is still just a tool for the privileged elite to manipulate "the masses".

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, bradiston said:

By 3.5 million votes and 10 seats to be precise. It was PT who were boasting a landslide.

Check out BJT. With only 3% of the vote, that's about a twelfth of the 38% won by MFP, they managed to secure 71 seats, or 50% of those won by MFP. Thai magic accounting/voting system. 

Call Trump. Tell him the Thais have it figured. How to steal it! BJT are impostors.

Regarding PT boasting a landslide, I have no idea. I just know there were 10 seats difference.

I do think its ridiculous though how BJT got so many seats with only 3% of the vote. Ultimately though, the zoning of districts has been known for a long time and it is meant to give a voice to the entire country, not just the city dwellers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

12 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Regarding PT boasting a landslide, I have no idea. I just know there were 10 seats difference.

I do think its ridiculous though how BJT got so many seats with only 3% of the vote. Ultimately though, the zoning of districts has been known for a long time and it is meant to give a voice to the entire country, not just the city dwellers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

They got 68 party list seats. I really don't understand how that system works. I've read it up and still don't get it. From what I can see, there are only 100 available, so they seem to have completely cornered the market. Their support bases are just in a few areas in the country, but I guess that's true of most democratic systems. Buriram is their HQ.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

This move by Pheu Thai is about as dumb as Yingluck's move at amnesty for Thaksin back in 2013, which started the beginning of the end of her reign. It's dumb a move, so much so, that it questions the intelligence of Pheu Thai leaders, including the exiled criminal himself.

Maybe sacrifice the next election in order to get Thaksin home?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

They got 68 party list seats. I really don't understand how that system works. I've read it up and still don't get it. From what I can see, there are only 100 available, so they seem to have completely cornered the market. Their support bases are just in a few areas in the country, but I guess that's true of most democratic systems. Buriram is their HQ.

Umm, seems I've made some errors here. BJT got 3 party list seats, and 3% of the party list votes. But they got 68 constituency seats and 13.38% of the constituency vote.

I think it reflects the fact that PT and MFP were the 2 most popular parties (they got the most party list MPs elected), and had the most popular MPs. But voters who voted for PPRP MPs appear to have had no time for the party.

• Like 1

Being in opposition is not a bad place to be for the MFP given the disgusting display of greed and treachery now going on following their withdrawal. Time is on their side. Meantime, oppose vigourously, and stay true to your cause. 

5 hours ago, alien365 said:

Not necessarily. Move Forward only beat them by a couple of seats in the election. People make it out that it was a landslide victory when it wasn't. The voters of the military parties will never switch allegiance to Move Forward. 

I guess that the others meant that once the senator hurdle has been overcome, could the PM & speaker nominate ministers from the original 8-party coalition, effectively dumping the parties that got them through the PM vote?