German Man Threatens to Jump from 8-Storey Condo in Pattaya

webfact

On 8/4/2023 at 4:55 PM, steven100 said:

he is a friend of another German guy down on Beach rd,  they must have been taking cannabis and then they lost the plot.  I don't know if his friend is in jail or in the nut house.   

On the beer again?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, NextG said:

Not unexpectedly..

i want to mention why i drink every day, it's because all my family is gone, parents dead, aunties all dead, uncles are dead... i'm left, so i think about them every day and more at night like now.. i watch youtube listen to music, tina turner ..she's gone, elvis ..gone, Bowie ..gone... Bee gees ..gone,Kenny Rogers..gone.  That's why i drink.

do you remember this one ...

image.png.2d3c3b38e2fd7ffd28fc386c0437b528.png

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i want to mention why i drink every day, it's because all my family is gone, parents dead, aunties all dead, uncles are dead... i'm left, so i think about them every day and more at night like now.. i watch youtube listen to music, tina turner ..she's gone, elvis ..gone, Bowie ..gone... Bee gees ..gone,Kenny Rogers..gone.  That's why i drink.

Are you doing good things with your life or only drinking?

If you don’t do good things, you won’t feel good. Do good to feel good. Life goes on. New musicians keeping the music alive and adding their bit to it too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

Are you doing good things with your life or only drinking?

If you don’t do good things, you won’t feel good. Do good to feel good. Life goes on. New musicians keeping the music alive and adding their bit to it too. 

I do good things, have a close thai friend and 3-4 others, took them to Vietnam, we went to Malaysia, bought a shop, we go away on long weekends alot, sometimes 10 of us... I pay alot for them over the years. so thats fine. I go and stay at their house sometimes. 

Edited by steven100

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

do you remember this one ...

image.png.2d3c3b38e2fd7ffd28fc386c0437b528.png

☺️ They did many songs together ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

I do good things, have a close thai friend and 3-4 others, took them to Vietnam, we went to Malaysia, bought a shop, we go away on long weekends alot, sometimes 10 of us... I pay alot for them over the years. so thats fine. I go and stay at their house sometimes. 

Good then. You are not alone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:37 AM, retarius said:

Why are there so many suicides in the ex-pat community, especially this leaping off tall buildings in Pattaya? Is it such an awful place that you have to get away immediately....or does Pattaya cause depression among impressionable young men?

I think it's the opposite in many cases.  It's a nice place to spend your last few weeks or months.  Some beer, some sun, some girls, then off the balcony.

Sounds better than offing yourself back home.

(That being said, I don't advise it or revel in it.  And I encourage anyone feeling like they're in a dark place to seek help.)

On 8/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't get this 'threatening' to jump business. If you're going to jump then do it. If not, then stop wasting everyone's time. Make your mind up. Think about it before you climb out onto a balcony, not after.

Isn't it good that he didn't though?  Or you would rather he died?

On 8/4/2023 at 5:52 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Let him jump... that's  what he wants...

Why spend so much effort to stop an old guy who wants to end his life? It's his life - his choice, but...

In this case, it seems he was more interested in creating a scene than actually jumping.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:52 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Let him jump... that's  what he wants...

Unfortunately, he hadn't taken the time to research the recommended height for successful suicide jumping.

Assuming the ground floor is level 1, then he's threatening to jump from a height of roughly 20 - 21 meters.

A lot of people have survived a fall from that height, achieving a fate worse than death.

Here's one notable example (fall from 25 m):

University student breaks 110 bones in horror balcony fall

15 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Unfortunately, he hadn't taken the time to research the recommended height for successful suicide jumping.

Assuming the ground floor is level 1, then he's threatening to jump from a height of roughly 20 - 21 meters.

A lot of people have survived a fall from that height, achieving a fate worse than death.

Here's one notable example (fall from 25 m):

University student breaks 110 bones in horror balcony fall

People who contemplate suicide aren't thinking rationally anyway. They are thinking maybe it's my time to go, and when that feeling comes, they look for the closest place to commit the act, especially if they are under the influence. Many are looking for help, as this one seems to be, because h had time to jump. A person who has made up their mind to end things isn't going to let others interfere. They will go directly to where they can end things, and it will happen quickly. A person who's hurting will do what he did, maybe looking for someone to show they care, which is sometimes all a person who's suicidal needs in their life. When they hit that place where nothing matters anymore, they're very close to the end. All it takes is someone to talk to them, at least until they can get help. My best friend, who I've mentioned, tried to end things once before he was successful, by driving into another car. His wife told me when I talked to her after he was gone, that she didn't understand why he tried that, as he never liked pain, and having a traffic accident, unless you're traveling at very high speed and hitting head on, doesn't always kill, but can leave you very hurting or paralyzed. that's why the next time he chose carbon monoxide. Quick and painless, but he didn't take into account, like most others, how it will affect his wife and others close to him. It's a mental issue, and one that can be treated.

36 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People who contemplate suicide aren't thinking rationally anyway. They are thinking maybe it's my time to go, and when that feeling comes, they look for the closest place to commit the act, especially if they are under the influence. Many are looking for help, as this one seems to be, because h had time to jump. A person who has made up their mind to end things isn't going to let others interfere. They will go directly to where they can end things, and it will happen quickly. A person who's hurting will do what he did, maybe looking for someone to show they care, which is sometimes all a person who's suicidal needs in their life. When they hit that place where nothing matters anymore, they're very close to the end. All it takes is someone to talk to them, at least until they can get help. My best friend, who I've mentioned, tried to end things once before he was successful, by driving into another car. His wife told me when I talked to her after he was gone, that she didn't understand why he tried that, as he never liked pain, and having a traffic accident, unless you're traveling at very high speed and hitting head on, doesn't always kill, but can leave you very hurting or paralyzed. that's why the next time he chose carbon monoxide. Quick and painless, but he didn't take into account, like most others, how it will affect his wife and others close to him. It's a mental issue, and one that can be treated.

It's not true at all that "People who contemplate suicide aren't thinking rationally anyway". Many people study it and learn the best methods. There are quite a few "how to do it" websites available - times have changed. I'm not depressed at all, and clear headedly study the subject, as the knowledge I gain will someday come in handy. Slowly fading away, or taking matters into your own hands when the time is right? Which is better?

Suggesing suicide is a mental issue that can be treated shows total lack of understanding on the subject. The German man in this report could be suffering incurable health issues with only a limited time to live. He could be living with chronic pain. He could be broke and have no family support. Try curing that. People can often have real problems that cannot be solved (or cured as you suggested).

There is a big problem with botched suicide attempts, and the problem is worth considering for anyone who has had the idea of taking their own life. There are many good reasons to CTB ("catch the bus" - a colloquial term used on forums). There are forums where people openly discuss it and the reasons for wanting to ctb are many and varied.

SUICIDE AND ATTEMPTED SUICIDE METHODS AND CONSEQUENCES

by Geo Stone (circa 1999)

"Every eighteen minutes someone in the United States kills himself. A few are younger than ten years old; others are over ninety. Between 7.5 and 16 percent takes more than a day to die. An estimated 300,000 to 600,000 survive suicide attempts, but suffer varying degrees of injury; 19,000 are permanently disabled each year. Only about one in ten or twenty suicide attempts is fatal"

(this was published over 20 years ago)

So much for the prevailing theory that Pattaya has a problem with excessive suicides. The only difference is that the local media publicize every single event in Pattaya, giving the impression the problem is worse than anywhere else in the world.

Edited by JensenZ

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

It's not true at all that "People who contemplate suicide aren't thinking rationally anyway". Many people study it and learn the best methods. There are quite a few "how to do it" websites available - times have changed. I'm not depressed at all, and clear headedly study the subject, as the knowledge I gain will someday come in handy. Slowly fading away, or taking matters into your own hands when the time is right? Which is better?

Suggesing suicide is a mental issue that can be treated shows total lack of understanding on the subject. The German man in this report could be suffering incurable health issues with only a limited time to live. He could be living with chronic pain. He could be broke and have no family support. Try curing that. People can often have real problems that cannot be solved (or cured as you suggested).

There is a big problem with botched suicide attempts, and the problem is worth considering for anyone who has had the idea of taking their own life. There are many good reasons to CTB ("catch the bus" - a colloquial term used on forums). There are forums where people openly discuss it and the reasons for wanting to ctb are many and varied.

SUICIDE AND ATTEMPTED SUICIDE METHODS AND CONSEQUENCES

by Geo Stone (circa 1999)

"Every eighteen minutes someone in the United States kills himself. A few are younger than ten years old; others are over ninety. Between 7.5 and 16 percent takes more than a day to die. An estimated 300,000 to 600,000 survive suicide attempts, but suffer varying degrees of injury; 19,000 are permanently disabled each year. Only about one in ten or twenty suicide attempts is fatal"

(this was published over 20 years ago)

So much for the prevailing theory that Pattaya has a problem with excessive suicides. The only difference is that the local media publicize every single event in Pattaya, giving the impression the problem is worse than anywhere else in the world.

I based my reply thinking he was suffering with depression, all his behavior suggested it. What followed was all true. I also have studied this for over 25 years, and know quite a bit about the disease, including the fact that it is a mental illness and it treatable, which does not mean cured. I've had two wives and a few girlfriends, along with many friends and acquaintances that have it. People with depression are indeed thinking not rationally, at least some of the time, and if you think otherwise you don't understand the disease and how it works on the human brain. They go through tremendous mood swings, which can alter your thinking, and that thinking a byproduct of the depression itself. People with depression tend to overthink which plays tricks with your mind. You have to learn to alter your thinking when it happens, but it's very hard because you think you know yourself. It doesn't mean you've lost touch with reality, and a lot of the time, you aren't in a depressed mood, which even more makes you think things are okay. It doesn't go away, although that is a big reason many stop their meds. Meds that can help with symptoms, and give you a fighting chance to handle this disease. There are many stages of depression and the severity also. This man, like I said, was under the influence of something, and that something can make you a lot worse, especially if you are taking meds.There are millions of people with health issues that want to live, and don't consider the alternative. Wanting to kill yourself is depression speaking almost all of the time. Substance abuse and extreme stress can make a person not wanting to cope with life, but un diagnosed you can still not tell.  And don't bother to add links because I've not only read three books on the subject, but thousands of articles, articles that have opinions that have changed over the years. Sticking with what actually has been working is always a better choice. Suicide is prevalent in every area of the world. It's a human disease, and happens wherever there are humans. The media points things like this out because a lot of things that come out here are there to point out the problems foreigners bring here, the truth being most of the problems are caused and suffered by locals. Most foreigners here are responsible contributors to their society. Prejudice rears it's ugly head in many ways, and this will eventually backfire because everything that's written not only here but everywhere else in this country, is read by all other foreign countries which have Thais living there, and that prejudice comes out there as hate crimes against them.

On 8/4/2023 at 1:26 AM, ezzra said:

It is plain to see that the man was on some kind of a 'high' and not in full control of his faculties to be doing that.

psychosis can act like intoxicated, so obvously mental ill and need help, as this was a scream for help. If he intended to kill himself, he would just jumped without notice. 

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I based my reply thinking he was suffering with depression, all his behavior suggested it. What followed was all true. I also have studied this for over 25 years, and know quite a bit about the disease, including the fact that it is a mental illness and it treatable, which does not mean cured. I've had two wives and a few girlfriends, along with many friends and acquaintances that have it. People with depression are indeed thinking not rationally, at least some of the time, and if you think otherwise you don't understand the disease and how it works on the human brain. They go through tremendous mood swings, which can alter your thinking, and that thinking a byproduct of the depression itself. People with depression tend to overthink which plays tricks with your mind. You have to learn to alter your thinking when it happens, but it's very hard because you think you know yourself. It doesn't mean you've lost touch with reality, and a lot of the time, you aren't in a depressed mood, which even more makes you think things are okay. It doesn't go away, although that is a big reason many stop their meds. Meds that can help with symptoms, and give you a fighting chance to handle this disease. There are many stages of depression and the severity also. This man, like I said, was under the influence of something, and that something can make you a lot worse, especially if you are taking meds.There are millions of people with health issues that want to live, and don't consider the alternative. Wanting to kill yourself is depression speaking almost all of the time. Substance abuse and extreme stress can make a person not wanting to cope with life, but un diagnosed you can still not tell.  And don't bother to add links because I've not only read three books on the subject, but thousands of articles, articles that have opinions that have changed over the years. Sticking with what actually has been working is always a better choice. Suicide is prevalent in every area of the world. It's a human disease, and happens wherever there are humans. The media points things like this out because a lot of things that come out here are there to point out the problems foreigners bring here, the truth being most of the problems are caused and suffered by locals. Most foreigners here are responsible contributors to their society. Prejudice rears it's ugly head in many ways, and this will eventually backfire because everything that's written not only here but everywhere else in this country, is read by all other foreign countries which have Thais living there, and that prejudice comes out there as hate crimes against them.

I think two main instigators are depression and stress ......  that mixed with drinking or smoking to get high can only lead to suicidal thoughts.     imo   

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

(it would really help to make your post readable if you used paragraphs and seperated ideas).

Depression is only one cause. Perhaps spending some time on a forum of people who discuss suicide might help to clue you in. In fact, people like you who think they can all be cured, or even want a cure annoy the people who are contemplating suicide. You've got blinders on. We're all going to die. There's no cure for that, but you can decide when and where.

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

(it would really help to make your post readable if you used paragraphs and seperated ideas).

Depression is only one cause. Perhaps spending some time on a forum of people who discuss suicide might help to clue you in. In fact, people like you who think they can all be cured, or even want a cure annoy the people who are contemplating suicide. You've got blinders on. We're all going to die. There's no cure for that, but you can decide when and where.

People like you who read, and maybe not able to fully comprehend, should try researching more and replying less. I did say I've studied this for over 25 years, meaning with all that I've read about the subject, maybe I picked up some information on it. I never said a person with depression could be cured. There is no cure. People who are contemplating suicide don't get annoyed when others care about them and try to help. People who contemplate suicide are usually suffering from depression. Some are going through a lot of stress and maybe self medicating, either alcohol or drugs, and think the only way out is ending their lives. Some who have depression think there is no way out of the pain.                                                                                               It's a treatable disease, with medication for the symptoms, which with the right medication can help, and therapy, where you can tell a professional your thoughts and how you're feeling, which can give you hope. They feel helpless, and if they are severely depressed, go into a dark place where nothing matters to them.  Talking to someone who listens without judgement can help them get to another day, because depression comes and goes, and when they get so far down, they think there's only one way out.                                                                                                                                                                                       Facts are, more than 80% respond to treatment. That doesn't mean the other 20% will kill themselves. A therapist will ask them about their lifestyle, and suggest changes. These can include diet, exercise, removing themselves from a toxic environment if possible, getting enough but not too much sleep, and helping them change their thought patterns.                                                   We don't know what this man was thinking, but if he has depression, he might not think there is any help, and contemplated jumping off a roof, at least until he got there and thought about it awhile. In this case, as I and others have replied, this man was seeking attention. If he wanted to kill himself, he wouldn't have waited hours thinking about it. He was supposedly using drugs. This doesn't help with your thinking, especially if he was also suffering from depression.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Yes, we are all going to die, but that doesn't mean a person with depression doesn't want to feel better. They just don't know how. If he had extreme stress, and thought taking his life would end it, that would be true, but he wasn't thinking there was a way out of that stress, if only in time. He didn't jump, so he thought, along with seeing others trying to help him, that there was hope. Life is precious, although many are going through hell. There isn't any easy answer and all cases have to be taken individually. You're not going to stop someone who has made their mind up. Sometimes you only get them and extra day or two. Sometimes that's all they need to get to a better place.                                                                                                                   Yes, I do have a clue. I've lost friends to this disease. Friends who might still be here if they were helped by someone who understood that their symptoms were a warning sign. I wasn't around when my best friend took his own life. Back in 1987, there wasn't near as much information and medications that there is now. After he died, many, including his wife, thought he felt really bad because he was losing his hair. It took awhile, but I remembered he was always sleeping way too much, and always joking around and self medicating. It wasn't out of the ordinary to us, because all of us smoked weed and such, a lot slept late because of hangovers, and we liked his joking. Now I see it as symptoms of depression, but it's too late for him.                         This man we don't know the story. We can only assume based on what he was doing. If he sees a professional, then they'll know why. He might have large legal problems, lost a family member, bad illnesses, relationship trouble, or something coming up he felt he can't cope with. What I said is that most who contemplate suicide are suffering from depression. Most doesn't mean all.