OPINION: Brief history of two frenemies

webfact

image.jpeg

How fast the situation is changing. A few months ago, the Pheu Thai-Move Forward bond looked unbreakable, and just a few days ago, their smiling leaders were still posing together for selfies and reporters’ cameras, with heart hand gestures purportedly giving a public assurance that the alliance remained intact. Now Move Forward supporters are burning effigies at the Pheu Thai headquarters.

But how slow it has been if you want a new government. The next vote to select the new prime minister will take place after three months will have passed since the general election. Prayut Chan-o-cha’s “eight-year” fuss seems absurd now, even if the next joint sitting of Parliament can produce a prime minister right away.

Drifting apart they may have seemed, don’t rule out the possibility of Move Forward and Pheu Thai reuniting very soon. A theory has surfaced on a conspiracy of a deceptive split to get past the senatorial blockade and allow the two parties to become government friends later.

Yet the formerly-unthinkable scenario that Move Forward may have to settle alongside people it hates is looking increasingly possible at least for now. If it comes to that, the “We won’t be where the uncles are” election promise will need to be fine-tuned.

Adaptation will be needed all across the entire political landscape no matter how things pan out, though.

Basically everyone, not just Move Forward, will have to be prepared to meet new friends, confront new enemies, and get used to the fast and furious nature of today’s politics. Anyone making a long-term plan without taking the extreme fluidity of things around them into account will end up a big loser.

By Tulsathit Taptim

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/brief-history-of-two-frenemies/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, proton said:

Sickening treachery by Phua Thai, laughing in the face of Thai voters

It’s ain’t over till the fat lady sings 

I’m quietly optimistic the pro democracy camp has aces up their sleeves 

Stay tune dun be to quick to jump the gun.

PT yet to announce their new coalition parties. Things will be clearer after that 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I sense, as I have from the moment the election results were announced, a government led by Prawit with Anutin in a prominent role, will be in place in due course. All going according to plan...

Not that bother about Thai politics I'm only having a read up you will be right,  old school will get in for sure, Move forward wanted change to quickly and what was said was dislike by many obviously older people.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:04 PM, Thingamabob said:

I sense, as I have from the moment the election results were announced, a government led by Prawit with Anutin in a prominent role, will be in place in due course. All going according to plan...

I hope you are wrong.  Enough of the old regime.  The Thai people deserve better.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, Hunz Kittisak said:

It’s ain’t over till the fat lady sings 

I’m quietly optimistic the pro democracy camp has aces up their sleeves 

Stay tune dun be to quick to jump the gun.

PT yet to announce their new coalition parties. Things will be clearer after that 

I hope you're right.

It does seem to be taking a long time and even in normal times it doesn't move quickly. Then again in the US there's a significant gap when the previous administration is in place but it is of a known duration.

There are a lot of problems with politics in the UK but lack of speed isn't one of them. In a change of government, one PM leaves out the back of 10 Downing Street while the next enters in the front. The incoming PM will often offer the outgoing one time to move out of the accommodation but I don't think it's ever taken up. Even in 2010 when there was no overall majority it only took 6 days to get sorted, and there were complaints about that.