Can you store gasolene in a 5 liter oil container?

Kenny202

Mrs out before and asked her to get me a red 5L gasolene tank / plastic jerry can. She came home with a 5L plastic oil bottle has had engine oil or something in it.

It's clean inside and they clean them out to sell them for people to put gasolene in. Its to store a few liters of 2 stroke fuel for my lawn strimmer.  

Would sound like a stupid question but hard to buy the proper red plastic fuel containers where I live apart from Lazada. If this one will do the trick will save me the trouble and expense. 

• Like 1

Legally, no, but TiT.

Our local shop sells unleaded in whiskey bottles for flips sake!

We had petrol in engine oil containers for years with no issues (definitely do not use water containers, they dissolve!).

But the proper job is the way forwards, it's not like they're expensive.

Either way, store it outside or in your shed of course.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

It's clean inside and they clean them out to sell them for people to put gasolene in. Its to store a few liters of 2 stroke fuel for my lawn strimmer.  

I would use it if it gets to be problem get the proper storage container.

My one holds 20 litres petrol.

16911351326211694456277921132130.thumb.jpg.923b26ac102195b1ae1e96fd26f813c3.jpg

Oh I'm not worried safety wise. A few liters, outside and away from anything. I am more worried about my machine. When I bought the strimmer guy there sold me a 10l gas container. It was grey so I was wary of it but he told me was fine for gasolene and it was a small engine shop. I cursed the strimmer for 5 years. Always hard to start and ran like a dog. Turns out the plastic inside the fuel container was melting into the fuel blocking the carb up. I guess there is a special plastic for fuel. I could check if the oil container made of the same stuff 

1 hour ago, kelboy said:

Under 300tb for the real deal,so just have a day off the beer.

I have used a oil container for 24 years with no problems. 

650 baht to fill Blade going Kilimart today. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've got a 8 L clear plastic water jug I've been using for years for my whacker. The oil jug sounds like a step up.

Hahahaha ???? Just be careful. If its not the right plastic it will be slowly dissolving into your fuel and will really mess your machines up

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Hahahaha ???? Just be careful. If its not the right plastic it will be slowly dissolving into your fuel and will really mess your machines up

Yeah right, been using it for years now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 litre oil bottle is fine its all ive ever used,   anyway whilst the rain is here you'll be using it pretty much every week so you won't be keeping it for long and no need to fill it up every time either.  Then when the weather dries up you won't need it at all for about 5 or 6 months either