Thai universities investigated over alleged research plagiarism

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

Rightfully so as medical doctors are not pharmacist. Many medical doctors can be very weak on real drug knowledge and rely on others or our of date information when prescribing. 

And 99% of medical doctors have NOT been involved in researching and discovering valuable medications.

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

It seemed to me over the past 20 years teaching in universities that it was quite common for people to be employed by a university as a lecturer on the basis they were writing a PhD.

This was usually just a compilation of plagiarised material and Google.

I've proof read - or tried to - a few theses and most seemed to fall way short of what I'd  consider to be PhD material. 

The problem is so ingrained in Thai academic life it leaves me wondering how it could ever be resolved.

As a foot note, I think it's worth mentioning that it isn't just those producing the PhDs that are at fault, it is those who are accepting or accrediting  them.

The damage may not be apparent initially, but when you consider that these oeople may become medical practitioners , scientists or architects etc etc there is a potential danger to human life through this apparent lack of any real meticulous academic integrity.

"

It seemed to me over the past 20 years teaching in universities that it was quite common for people to be employed by a university as a lecturer on the basis they were writing a PhD.

This was usually just a compilation of plagiarised material and Google."

1.  Please share some evidence of this.

2. 99% of doctors of medicine don't have a Ph.D. , they have an MBBS degree and to get that degree they don't do research near the level required to gain a Ph.D.

Of itself an MBBS degree is the study of known / proven facts in regard to the health of the human body. There is no requirement for MBBS students to make earth shattering discoveries or new never seen before theories. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"

This was usually just a compilation of plagiarised material and Google."

1.  Please share some evidence of this.

2. 99% of doctors of medicine don't have a Ph.D. , they have an MBBS degree and to get that degree they don't do research near the level required to gain a Ph.D.

Of itself an MBBS degree is the study of known / proven facts in regard to the health of the human body. There is no requirement for MBBS students to make earth shattering discoveries or new never seen before theories. 

I'm referring to ALL training received at Universities - and the corruption involved

As for you sealioning that kind of shows the paucity of your approach to this issue.

"

8 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I'm referring to ALL training received at Universities - and the corruption involved

As for you sealioning that kind of shows the paucity of your approach to this issue.

"

"As for you sealioning that kind of shows the paucity of your approach to this issue."   ?

On 8/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, Falcon said:

University in thailand is, in my opinion, a complete waste of 4 years and to come out with a piece of paper after that time which is nigh on useless anywhere out of thailand just isn’t worth the time or effort.

It does some of what Western universities do.  It generates income for the upper classes and keeps lower classes in their place.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:20 PM, AustinRacing said:

It’s about self pride which is not a common value in most Asian countries. It’s about having something and how you get it is not important. 

They still have self pride, it's just in a different direction.  Cheating is seen as smart in many parts of Asia, because you were smart enough to be able to cheat and get what you want.  You'll notice that there is often no shame related to things like cheating, scamming, and underhanded dirty fighting, with weapons or superior numbers.

It's unfortunate, as this is behaviour that most Westerners see as being very low and despicable, and is likely holding them back as a people.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, Falcon said:

University in thailand is, in my opinion, a complete waste of 4 years and to come out with a piece of paper after that time which is nigh on useless anywhere out of thailand just isn’t worth the time or effort.

Can't disagree with anything you said above...EXCEPT....

For most Thai graduates, they're going to end up working in the Thai employment sector, not international ones. And so for those folks, having a marginally worthwhile Thailand university degree at least serves the purpose of being recognized by Thai employers as a necessary notch on their resume....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

The problem is so ingrained in Thai academic life it leaves me wondering how it could ever be resolved.

It's a lot like corruption, people see it in the government and police, but really it goes from top to bottom.

Cheating and copying is rife in the Thai education system, so it isn't surprising that it goes to the top.

Corruption in Thailand will likely only be fixed with gradual generational changes, and I think copying/cheating in education will be the same.

Thailand is tens if not hundreds of years behind the West in many ways, corruption and cheating being one of them.

Who is going to be the first person to say "No.  I want my life to be a lot harder than those that have gone before me.  I want to work harder, I want to earn less, and I want to hold a lower position than I otherwise could, all so that I can say I did it honestly."?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Thailand is tens if not hundreds of years behind the West in many ways, corruption and cheating being one of them.

I agree it's probably worse here... But higher education in the West isn't pristine by any means....

Just an example:

"In 2019, a scandal arose over a criminal conspiracy to influence undergraduate admissions decisions at several top American universities. The investigation into the conspiracy was code named Operation Varsity Blues.

Thirty-three parents of college applicants were accused of paying more than $25 million between 2011 and 2018 to William Rick Singer, organizer of the scheme, who used part of the money to fraudulently inflate entrance exam test scores and bribe college officials."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Blues_scandal

A good part of the above scandal involved Singer and Co. bribing various college athletic coaches to falsely submit the names of prospective students (whose parents paid Singer) as athletic recruits (when in fact they weren't) to facilitate them being accepted for admission.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can't disagree with anything you said above...EXCEPT....

For most Thai graduates, they're going to end up working in the Thai employment sector, not international ones. And so for those folks, having a marginally worthwhile Thailand university degree at least serves the purpose of being recognized by Thai employers as a necessary notch on their resume....

Correct, but useless in the real world.