How Long Since You Last OutWalked Your Thai Dog?

My Dear Dog Walkers,

When was the last time you were easily able to outwalk your Asian dog? In my case, I have not walked that far since Pre-Pandemic Times.

And then, how do you know when you have outwalked your dog?

Does your dog just lie down, refusing to budge?

Or, if you walk your dog without a leash, and your dog has gone far enough, does the mutt just begin walking slightly behind you, before finally running for home?

If you try to coax him to push on, does he grumble and moan?

Many people don’t know that Man was built to travel farther on foot than almost any domesticated dog, except maybe for the working husky, or maybe the English Foxhound. But even here, Man can outrun both of these breeds, if Man has the will.

This is because Man walks on two legs, and the mutt on four. When Orwell wrote “four legs good, two legs bad”, he was not talking about distance walking or distance running. Two legs can beat four legs, any day.

I first began testing this hypothesis in Taiwan along the Pacific coast. My Taiwanese dog would be happy to go for a walk with me, but only up to a point. And then, when he reached that point, he would go no further. Usually, he would be willing to walk about four kilometers before turning tail.

So I am just wondering if anyone has walked a marathon with their dog. And if so, when the dog returns home, does the dog just lie there on the floor, nearly imobile for many hours?

Here in Thailand, I have no dog. And the last time I walked 26 kilometers, in the year 2018, I was thankful the dog was not with me. In my opinion, dogs should be allowed to walk just as far as they want, but no farther. We should also be mindful of our furry friends’ need for rest and a good cooling off period, just so they don’t overheat.

So, can a human outrun a horse, over a marathon distance? Of course, of course, a horse is just a horse, and cannot compete with a human in this endeavor:

y89ZBJJUTBoUyBsrrErXCW0SfjkNJDEKy-Zp9G86gtxxjm_v6WqINzuCSXjCSXRF_uNWaIYw2j8VoenybAAJTkHYXTQi8zHXtcS76ft7ufQNb3-WVAbOn3Z4GNXIGsXSoDAFXVJ9S-txTBwzxkmJKSk

So therefore, it is no real feat to outwalk your dog in typical Thai weather. And one should be aware that heat exhaustion should be considered when walking your dog for longer distances than the animal is used to.

I would never take my dog on a marathon walk, if I had a dog. And, it’s always wise to carry water for your dog, just in case.

But the real question of this OP is: How long, at your now advanced age, has it been since you walked far enough to outwalk a Thai dog in good shape.  And, TANGENTIALLY, how long would you need to walk in order to outwalk a determined Soi Dog?

Some of you may doubt that I can walk over half a marathon at my age. You would be correct. However, I could easily walk 26 kilometers in 2017, or 2018. I just cannot find any proof of doing so on my phone, at the moment.  However, I did find a record of my having walked 20 kilometers in 2016, in the heat of the day, and when I returned, I was dog tired:

image.thumb.png.a7c86db94435f3a535679e80f3be6062.png

So I ask you guys, how many of you over the age of 65 are still fit enough to outwalk your dog?

And, for that matter, how many rounds of golf would you need to complete, in an afternoon, to equal 25 kilometers of walking?

And further, can you do it in the sun, without a hat? I like to do all my walks in the direct sun without a hat. The Taiwanese dog did, too.

(By the way, does anyone here, over the age of 65, own a marathon dog?)

Regards,

Gamma G.

Please NOTE: IMHO, if I were to choose a walking companion, I would not choose a Thai dog if I could choose a Thai woman, instead. Thai women don’t complain as much. Also, some Thai women, same as I, enjoy walking in the noonday sun without a hat.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What does it mean to "OutWalked Your Thai Dog"?

Is it also possible to InWalk a dog?

And when is a dog a Thai dog? Does it depend on the race or the place of birth or what?

A Thai dog, in this case, can refer to any old breed of dog, but the distinguishing factor must be that the dog has been acclimatized to the Thai weather.

When you outwalk a dog, it just means that you outdo your dog at walking.

The Taiwanese dog, on the other hand, may be a specific breed of dog.  Many people in Taiwan believe that there is a specific breed of dog which they designate as being a Taiwan dog.  You can search Taiwan dog on Google to see what the Taiwan dog looks like.  I had one in Taiwan.

Also, a dog that I think looks truly amazing is the Thai Ridgeback dog, a breed specific to Thailand:

image.png.0bbf90f3e15605f542760ed9b678dfdb.png

I would dearly love to see you outwalk a Ridgeback.

Care to try?

(Beautiful beast, however.  Sort of like what I imagine when I read The Hound of the Baskervilles.)

Amazing dog, though!!!

• Love It 2

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And when is a dog a Thai dog? Does it depend on the race or the place of birth or what?

I can outwalk my American Bully, but my soi dogs, its not going to happen! Easy as that ???? different breeds different qualities. 

However my bully will stand his ground, while my thai soi dogs will just be annoying loud barking and not stand the ground if someone walk confident against them. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought he was talking about rough looking gfs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bignok said:

I thought he was talking about rough looking gfs.

Life is NEVER about being Either/Or.

English is a rich language full of punning possibilities.

When we are very young, we learn about the dual nature of light.

And that is just the beginning.

• Love It 1

The Thai dog i had was a lazy layabout, the question is easy for me to answer.

My son has a small dog in Australia, pulls like a train on the lead. I could never outwalk her.

To answer one of the OP's myriad questions, 18 holes of golf is anywhere between 6 and 9 kilometres.

dorhu10.jpg

ECHO 2.jpg

• Like 1

My dog is a Bangkaew.....

When he's no longer sniffing and investigating & just walking straight ahead I know he's had enough.....I say Rusty home and he leads me straight home.....

I walk him about 25 miles a week.....2 or 3 days a week I'll run him about 1/2 mile astride the bicycle at a brisk pace, not a dead run ....At 75 my running days are over, although I loved it ....I have too much knee & hip damage from sports.....

received_184532664604824.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A cry for help id I ever saw one. Personally I think Glama Gobulin has way too much free time on his hands , What do you all think? :tongue:

He should be put in a home and not allowed anywhere near a keyboard!

PS;  I don't think he is actually a real person and is just a badly programmed AN AI "Click Bait" BOT!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

To answer one of the OP's myriad questions, 18 holes of golf is anywhere between 6 and 9 kilometres.

Myriad? Really? I always limit the number of my questions to the bare minimum.

"KILOMETRES"?  Really?  (How do you pronounce the word 'aluminum'?)

Concerning the distance one walks on any typical 18-hole golf course, it is best to keep confine your drives to the straight and narrow.

If you spend your days continually hooking and slicing, you may get more exercise, but you will certainly shorten your lifespan due to the resultant increased frustration and stress.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Myriad? Really? I always limit the number of my questions to the bare minimum.

"KILOMETRES"?  Really?  (How do you pronounce the word 'aluminum'?)

Concerning the distance one walks on any typical 18-hole golf course, it is best to keep confine your drives to the straight and narrow.

If you spend your days continually hooking and slicing, you may get more exercise, but you will certainly shorten your lifespan due to the resultant increased frustration and stress.

Really. You are as full of questions as a butcher's dog is full of meat.

I pronounce the word aluminium just like I pronounce about 20 other elements of the periodic table, starting with lithium. The "i" is spoken.

I recommend said element to you as a medication.

Most of my golfing successes of yore came from keeping the ball straight and in play at all times.

There was a study done many years ago comparing professional golfers with captains of industry.

Most of the golfers lived well into their eighties and nineties, hale and hearty. Most of the industry executives died insane, committed suicide, or became destitute.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You know, I have been thinking...

What this forum really is missing is a thorough discussion of the many uses of LATEX.

Will you do it?

Or, shall I?

Heaven forbid I should deprive you of the opportunity to commence another thread. Have at it.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What this forum really is missing is a thorough discussion of the many uses of LATEX.

Will you do it?

Or, shall I?

I'm guessing it's only limited as far as you can stretch your imagination....

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There was a study done many years ago comparing professional golfers with captains of industry.

Most of the golfers lived well into their eighties and nineties, hale and hearty. Most of the industry executives died insane, committed suicide, or became destitute.

never seen those stats, but doesnt surprise me.

our ancestors were hunter-gatherers who did a lot of walking.

so golfing might be one of the healthiest sports. 

plus being around greenery must be very relaxing and soothing.

never played, but i may take it up one day. 

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

never seen those stats, but doesnt surprise me.

our ancestors were hunter-gatherers who did a lot of walking.

so golfing might be one of the healthiest sports. 

plus being around greenery must be very relaxing and soothing.

never played, but i may take it up one day. 

I understand golf is a sport recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Will you do it?

Or, shall I?

On Second thought....

Maybe this forum is not yet ready for discussion of the uses of LATEX.

Such a discussion is normally approved ONLY for ADULT AUDIENCES....

• Love It 1