Thailand Still Wants to Develop a Major Spaceport

webfact

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

Of course western governments wouldn't be too keen on their residents investing is such a project so the Thais would  look to more enthusiastic partners, fuelling another round  of anti Thai rhetoric.

Speaking of rhetoric, what is it about Thai apologists that they always tend to denounce any mention of Thailand’s shortcomings or deficits as “anti-Thai?”

• Like 2

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

East Anglia is not much different to when I was stationed at West Raynham in the 1960s. The nearest station was in Kings Lynn, about 20 miles away by the infrequent bus service.

My friend lives in Bury St Edmunds, ex Honington and my chief on Buccs in 72. Visit him every year and always difficult to get there. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sandy

If Thailand is only launching satellites it is much much cheaper to hire a launch vehicle than build a spaceport. With more expertise and training Thailand can build their own satellites and ship them to a launching site rather than building their own spaceport.

This is not Thai bashing but financial commonsense.

Not if the spaceport is private enterprise and commercially viable. There is nothing wrong with the government touting for investment from interested parties worldwide. They however need to create legislation that can lead to approval.

if the government eventually proposes to fully fund the project in favour of other infrastructure it becomes a different argument.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Speaking of rhetoric, what is it about Thai apologists that they always tend to denounce any mention of Thailand’s shortcomings or deficits as “anti-Thai?”

There is never  "any mention of Thailand’s shortcomings or deficits"

Only attempts by "anti-Thai" expats to vilify the government actions based on media reports.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:02 AM, billd766 said:

Sandy

If Thailand is only launching satellites it is much much cheaper to hire a launch vehicle than build a spaceport. With more expertise and training Thailand can build their own satellites and ship them to a launching site rather than building their own spaceport.

This is not Thai bashing but financial commonsense.

Government involvement goes back quite a way and I thought I had seen something not that long ago about a private venture.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111018082040/http://www.gistda.or.th/gistda_n/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rgluckman/2022/09/11/thai-aerospace-entrepreneur-james-yenbamroong-bets-big-with-space-satellite/?sh=63702784291e

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 5:57 PM, fusion58 said:

It is simply a single step down, or perhaps stepping stone towards  the usual woke response of stemming discourse,  playing the 'racist' card!

On 8/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, sandyf said:

Mu Space has big plans, and always will.