THE TOP 10 BEST DOGS FOR FAMILIES IN THAILAND

CHOOSING THE PERFECT BREED FOR YOUR HOME

image.png

1. Golden Retriever
Golden Retrievers are often considered the best dog breed for families due to their friendly and gentle nature. They are intelligent, loyal, and easy to train, making them perfect for households with children. Their playful and affectionate demeanor ensures they will quickly become a beloved member of your family.
Enquire about Golden Retriever puppies for sale in Thailand

2. Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retrievers are another top choice when searching for the best puppy for families. Known for their adaptability and loving nature, Labradors are energetic and great with children. They require regular exercise, which makes them perfect for active families who enjoy outdoor activities.
Enquire about Labrador Retriever puppies for sale in Thailand

3. Beagle
Beagles are a smaller breed that thrives in family environments. Their friendly and outgoing personality makes them excellent playmates for children. Beagles are also known for their curiosity and love for exploration, so they will keep the entire family entertained with their antics.
Enquire about Beagle puppies for sale in Thailand

4. Toy Poodle
Poodles are intelligent, easy to train, and come in various sizes (Toy, Miniature, and Standard), making them suitable for families with different preferences and living spaces. They have a hypoallergenic coat, which is great for households with allergy concerns. Poodles are known for their loyalty and affection, ensuring they will be a fantastic addition to your family.
Enquire about Toy Poodle puppies for sale in Thailand

5. French Bulldog
French Bulldogs are a popular choice for families in Thailand because of their small size, adaptability, and low exercise requirements. They are great for families living in apartments or smaller homes. Frenchies have a friendly and affectionate nature, making them excellent companions for children and adults alike.
Enquire about French Bulldog puppies for sale in Thailand

6. German Shepherd
German Shepherds are an excellent choice for families looking for a loyal and protective pet. They are intelligent, easy to train, and form strong bonds with their human family members. German Shepherds require regular exercise and mental stimulation, making them ideal for active families who can provide them with the attention they need.
Enquire about German Shepherd puppies for sale in Thailand

FULL ARTICLE

https://www.perfectpedigreethailand.com/doggy-advice-tips--tricks/the-top-10-best-dogs-for-families-in-thailand-choosing-the-perfect-breed-for-your-home

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Must be hell in this climate for long haired breeds. I always feel sorry when for the Huskies I see everywhere here. Dogs bred for a cold environment, kept in tropical heat and humidity.

As for the bulldogs and Frenchies with their breathing difficulties. It seems someone has at least come to their senses. I read about a breeder in Holland that is breeding French Bulldogs with longer noses for better health. They can breather easier, and from the photos I saw, they looked better as well.

http://www.hawbucks.nl/franse-bulldog/en/

If I had a dog here it would be a smaller, short haired type. Not necessarily a particular breed. Even a mongrel can be a good family dog.

Ego rules over common sense and I also see many long haired dogs who must be miserable in this climate.

• Like 2

^ +1

In a country over-run with stray dogs (and cats) I couldn't in good conscience buy one.

If you must buy one, I agree 100% with not buying from Chatujak or a puppy mill, but this puff piece seems to be for a broker, not for an in-house breeding operation. If you're not allowed to visit the breeder, it's all on trust that they are responsible and ethical. 

• Thumbs Up 2

At some point common sense should take hold - long hair dogs have no ability to cool themselves and Thailand is not a logical location for them.  Thai native dogs make sense for large breeds but toy/chihuahua types for inhouse and long life.  Advertising should really be marked as such.

Snout nosed dogs all suffer in hot climates.

Dogs with floppy ears will suffer from ear canker in the Thai humidity.

Cold climate breeds ... best to leave for cold climates.

Long haired dogs I wouldn't own here. 

We did contemplate Labradoodles or some such poodle cross as another pair to go with our Dallies but decided on the Italian greyhounds as they are so gentle, sweet, and yes quiet animals, and really great house dogs but love activity too, so a perfect balance.

I love breeds like Labrador and Retrievers but the longer haired breeds form traditionally cold climes I would not own here unless clipping throughout the year to a short coat.

We have Dalmatians and Italian greyhounds (bred in and brought from Queensland climes).

Dallies were bred in KL Malaysia so generationally acclimatised, they are happy as Larry and have nice cool places to hang out all over the house and pool area.

They're so spoilt they have their own kiddies pool to lie in as long as they like ????

Neither suffer from the heat and humidity.

We use headbands on the dogs for sleeping during the wet season to hold their ears up and open and they don't get issues there.

Their short coats are easy to manage (ticks etc) and as all Dallies shed we, or the staff brush every day. The dogs truly adore brush time and literally bring their brushes to us lol ???? 

Being active dogs we run and play time them every day. They swim like fish in both pool and sea by the way.

Edited by Tropposurfer

used to be a rottweiler guy until mine died. swore i would never own another dog being so heartbroken. i am not going to go into it, but a dog is as its master makes it. my rottie was the kindest most gentle dog. my wife convinced me to get a dog. we settled for pomeranians. we had a male first, then a female. the female died last year at 9 and i am still grieving. our male seems to be fine. i never thought i would like small dogs. guess i learned that size doesnt matter...???? 

• Love It 1

On 8/7/2023 at 5:00 AM, phetphet said:

Must be hell in this climate for long haired breeds. I always feel sorry for the Huskies I see everywhere here. Dogs bred for a cold environment, kept in tropical heat and humidity.

As for the bulldogs and Frenchies with their breathing difficulties. It seems someone has at least come to their senses. I read about a breeder in Holland that is breeding French Bulldogs with longer noses for better health. They can breather easier, and from the photos I saw, they looked better as well.

http://www.hawbucks.nl/franse-bulldog/en/

If I had a dog here it would be a smaller, short haired type. Not necessarily a particular breed. Even a mongrel can be a good family dog.

I agree, having long haired dogs in this country not a good idea.

Also beagles ( or any hunting dog ) require lots and lots of exercise, throwing a ball for 5 minutes does not cut it, they need stimulated. When these dogs have a lack of exercise all they tend to do is bark a lot.

I currently have 3 strays i picked up from a local temple, great dogs - super loyal and smart. Never more than about 2 meters away from me when i'm in the house, they've only had basic training. And you're doing a good deed by getting a couple off the street.

Edited by PJ71

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

used to be a rottweiler guy until mine died. swore i would never own another dog being so heartbroken. i am not going to go into it, but a dog is as its master makes it. my rottie was the kindest most gentle dog. my wife convinced me to get a dog. we settled for pomeranians. we had a male first, then a female. the female died last year at 9 and i am still grieving. our male seems to be fine. i never thought i would like small dogs. guess i learned that size doesnt matter...???? 

Small breed dogs know how to soften a hard man

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife's dog. She is such a good, sometimes naughty dog.

Very short hair, so my wife call her ET.

Around house always on guard, listening, smelling , seeing.

If she acts then there is something.

She was the one finding a 30 -40 cm cobra (first ever) in moms house!

You can cuddle her for endless times, she loves it.

Long legged, looks like a whippet crossing.

Naughty as she sometimes wants to visit a very dangerous road

There must be something which attracts her, but still dont know what it is yet.

I will go and get here then and she knows im angry then, she shows "Im sorry".

But will do it again. I love that dog.

image.thumb.png.fba8ce336017c7ea261602d96c4beac9.png

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Travel as long as you want! …long term house/pet sitters (@ no cost) are your friends!

Unfortunately we travel from 1 month to 3 months at a time.

I'm not even a dog guy.  

I've got kids, that's plenty enough for me.

Lovely dog though.  6 years old and spoiled rotten.

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Unfortunately we travel from 1 month to 3 months at a time.

3 months not a problem as house sitting positions can be anything from 1 day to 2 or more years, but generally between 1 week and 4 months. 

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

3 months not a problem as house sitting positions can be anything from 1 day to 2 or more years, but generally between 1 week and 4 months. 

Believe you are talking Thai family members rather than allowing high quality tourists to house sit?  If not I would not even consider it.  A home is not an Airbnb.  But there are pet hotels available at some locations now that might work - although at a cost.

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A home is not an Airbnb

“A home is not an Airbnb.”

Agree 100%. That’s why home owners like to select quiet-living, matured aged person/s with numerous, checkable references that verifies that the sitter/s will be at home most of the time loving their pet/s and caring for their home… and of course nobody else enters the home with prior permission.
Constant communication (including video calls if time zones permit) between all parties during the sit ensures a win/win situation for all, especially for the pets, as they are loved and remain in their familiar surroundings, not at some pet hotel. 

Neighbours, inspections by friends/relatives and video cameras can also give absolute assurance to the home owner that the home, gardens, lawns, pool etc and their pets are being properly cared for, in accordance with the home owner’s instructions. 

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

“A home is not an Airbnb.”

Agree 100%. That’s why home owners like to select quiet-living, matured aged person/s with numerous, checkable references that verifies that the sitter/s will be at home most of the time loving their pet/s and caring for their home… and of course nobody else enters the home with prior permission.
Constant communication (including video calls if time zones permit) between all parties during the sit ensures a win/win situation for all, especially for the pets, as they are loved and remain in their familiar surroundings, not at some pet hotel. 

Neighbours, inspections by friends/relatives and video cameras can also give absolute assurance to the home owner that the home, gardens, lawns, pool etc and their pets are being properly cared for, in accordance with the home owner’s instructions. 

Sorry but this is Thailand.  There are no such organized services/references "that could be relied upon" that I am aware of.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry but this is Thailand.  There are no such organized services/references "that could be relied upon" that I am aware of.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Google is your friend. 

IMG_6596.jpeg

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Again this is a foreign pay for service exchange.  It appears you would have to become a paid member to even interview potential sitters?  Not my idea of being a Thai service.

A one-off small fee to find a trusted Thai-based resident. This site works perfectly for pet owners and pet sitters living in Thailand