Bibby Stockholm: First asylum seekers board housing barge in Dorset

Social Media

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually easier for me to get Thai than my wife to get British citizenship. 

For example, she would have to learn English and pass a test and cultural exam. I never had to pass a Thai test or even be able to speak Thai.  Also cost me 125 pounds for Thai, much more than that for UK. 

So not maybe now but back 2001 my wife would of had no problems after 2years getting citizenship, my got automatic residency in UK on arrival being sponsored by me.

I been told recently that for me get Thai residency it not easy, and you need that to get Thai citizenship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Actually easier for me to get Thai than my wife to get British citizenship. 

For example, she would have to learn English and pass a test and cultural exam. I never had to pass a Thai test or even be able to speak Thai.  Also cost me 125 pounds for Thai, much more than that for UK. 

You must have got your Thai citizenship some time ago. I've been told by immigration it's a lot more difficult now.

32 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You must have got your Thai citizenship some time ago. I've been told by immigration it's a lot more difficult now.

Applied Dec 2017, got it Dec 2020, slight delay of a few months due to Covid. 

Immigration know little about the process, nothing to do with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Applied Dec 2017, got it Dec 2020, slight delay of a few months due to Covid. 

Immigration know little about the process, nothing to do with them.

I can tell you now, the application requirements have changed since 2017. 

I made an enquiry. I didn't bother after what I'd been told. 

UK citizenship for my wife is not too difficult and works out cheaper than the amount of "dead money" those on retirement extentions need to keep in the bank.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I can tell you now, the application requirements have changed since 2017. 

I made an enquiry. I didn't bother after what I'd been told. 

Did you ask at Special Branch Police? 

They are responsible for Citizenship applications and I can assure you nothing has changed since 2017. 

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Did you ask at Special Branch Police? 

They are responsible for Citizenship applications and I can assure you nothing has changed since 2017. 

Well. We'll agree to disagree.

I have been keeping an eye on citizenship requirements since 2002, when our daughter was born, and have noticed many changes on many occasions.

Edited by youreavinalaff

8 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have been keeping an eye on citizenship requirements since 2002, when our daughter was born, and have noticed many changes on many occasions.

I think you can both be right.

It’s not at all unusual for individuals to have wildly different experiences with Thai authorities.

13 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Please tell me one of the things you think has changed since 2017. 

I think you are confusing citizenship with something else, maybe PR.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Please tell me one of the things you think has changed since 2017. 

I think you are confusing citizenship with something else, maybe PR.

No confusion.

As another poster has said, officialdom in Thailand is not constant.

Anyway, we are off topic by a mile. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JayClay said:

Firstly lib dems are not the opposition. Secondly, nowhere in that article is any MP quoted as saying that they are against deporting failed asylum applications.

Try again please.

Libdems are government? We learn something new every day.

Read the illegal migration bill. The one they are apposed to. It will all make sense then.

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The illigal migration bill is not required to deport failed asylum applications in the UK. All that is needed to deport applicants is for that application to be processed and rejected. Then they can perfectly legally be deported to country of origin.

This is the way it's been working for years. At least as many years as as I've been alive, and all ghe way up until about 2 or 3 years ago when the tories just stopped processing the applications.

Now, your claim was not that opposition parties reject the IMB, it was that opposition parties reject the premise of deporting failed asylum applications. Do you now accept that this is incorrect?

To coin a phrase " whataboutary".

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'll take that as a yes.

The sort of misquote I expect from someone who says;

16 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The illigal migration bill is not required to deport failed asylum applications in the UK. All that is needed to deport applicants is for that application to be processed and rejected.

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'm sorry. I can't continue this debate. You have demonstrated a clear lack of understanding of how the asylum system works, and you also don't seem to understand the terms "whataboutary" or "misquote". There's just no way to effectively communicate with such a person. ????‍♂️

Then, you need to learn how to agree on something you clearly do instead of suggesting similar or same meanings are opposites. Also  learn not to throw part of the conversation because you can't argue against it.

I'm sure you'll then be able to communicate efficiently and effectively. 

• Thumbs Up 1