Trump has already disqualified himself from White House return

Social Media

Arizona judge nixes suit that wants Trump backers off ballot

Published April 23, 2022

(Superior Court Judge) Coury agreed with the lawmakers’ attorneys who said Congress created no enforcement mechanism for the 14th Amendment, barring a criminal conviction. He noted that Congress proposed such a law in the wake of the attack on Congress but it is not been enacted.

“Therefore, given the current state of the law and in accordance with the United States Constitution, plaintiffs have no private right of action to assert claims under the disqualification clause,” Coury wrote.

He also rejected arguments that state law created an enforcement mechanism that allows people to sue to enforce the 14th Amendment’s provision. And he said, at least for Biggs and Gosar, qualifications for member of Congress are purely a federal affair.

“The text of the Constitution is mandatory,” Coury wrote. “It sets forth the single arbiter of the qualifications of members of Congress; that single arbiter is Congress.”

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-arizona-phoenix-constitutions-paul-gosar-fefc259cdb6cbf7cc9369c5f2f939c61

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Yes. It's up to the states to individual states to block him from being on the ballot. Constitution 14.? I believe.

The big question is are any states doing this and if not why not? 

There is no doubt that some states will act and they will be challenged in courts. 

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:
3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well this "Donnie boy" stuff to me gets a little tiresome.

But "Sleepy Joe" doesn't make you tired?

No. Joe Biden is a grown-up and can take care of himself.

And Joe Biden as President doesn't scare me now or if re-elected.

Trump totally scares me as, barring calamity, he'll be the Republican nominee in 2024 and anything could happen after  that. 

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I agree. Name calling only cheapens arguments and makes them suspect. If you have confidence in facts, they should be enough to damn your target.

I remember a counter-intelligence guy once saying that we have to get it right every time while the terrorists only have to get it right once.

The prosecution in all these criminal trials have to get it right every time while the Trump defense -- as some here have referred to as 'ambulance chasers' -- only have to find one fissure in the prosecution and that may be enough for at least one jury member to say NOT beyond any reasonable doubt.

Edited by jerrymahoney

State election officials prepare for efforts to disqualify Trump under 14th Amendment
New Hampshire, Michigan and Arizona are bracing for lawsuits.

September 1, 2023

In an interview with ABC News, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, said that she and other secretaries of state from Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nevada, New Hampshire and Maine started having conversations over a year ago about preparing for the legal challenges to Trump's candidacy.

But as conversations grow around the use of the 14th Amendment provision, some legal scholars and election officials are increasingly concerned about the practicality of the emerging lawsuits.

"The most difficult aspects of the litigation that the challenges to Trump's eligibility will generate probably aren't so much substantive as they are procedural," Tribe wrote in an email to ABC News, noting that there is a lack of clarity about who has standing to bring the challenges.

"You can be sure that many secretaries of state, advised by many legal experts from across the ideological spectrum, are now studying the details of the legislative regimes in place in their respective states for dealing with challenges to the eligibility of candidates aspiring to become president," he continued.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/state-election-officials-prepare-efforts-disqualify-trump-14th/story?id=102833123

32 minutes ago, Tug said:

I understand ,to me personally it’s one of the ways I cope with the humiliation he has heaped upon my country and the office of the presidency + he’s not at all shy about name calling himself 

To me, it tends to minimize what a dangerous person this is.